“Yummy food service needs work” 4 of 5 bubbles

Coco Monde Chocolateria
Ranked #1 of 11 Dessert in Newcastle
Cuisines: Cafe, Australian
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
central coast
“Yummy food service needs work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2013

Overall good yummy food, decent servings and a cute atmosphere however...waited nearly 15 minutes to get order taken then 15 minutes plus for drinks then another 30 minutes for the food ?! and it was only half full so don't know why it took so long...had to rush the eating part as we were on way to the airport which was s shame ...definitely come back but not without lots if time to spare.

• Visited July 2013

Newcastle, Australia
“To die for and COELIAC FRIENDLY!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013 via mobile

I wandered down to Coco Mondo after being told it was better than that bald Brenner man. It has a much more relaxing atmosphere. Table service with a friendly HELPFUL smile. Their hot chocolates of all different flavours were beautiful, choc peppermint yummy!
Coeliac friendly! I chose to share a serving of crepes with my boyfriend and we were glad we didn't order one each! They were so nice and filling. We left with our bellies full, taste buds satisfied and wallets not stretched. It's not 'cheap' as such but as far as value for money far better than the commercial chain.

• Visited April 2013
New South Wales
“High Tea”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2013

Took my mum to High Tea here as it was part of her Mother's Day present. We decided to wait a couple of weeks after Mother's Day so hopefully it wouldn't be as busy. I must admit I was a little concerned as I had heard a few bad comments about the service. I am pleased to say that the food, tea/coffee & service were fantastic. There were many tables that were having High Tea the day we went & everyones order seemed to come out in good time. The food was presented beautifully & it was sooo delicious, especially the chocolates that we had. They were so good we bought some to take home. I would definately recommend this place for High Tea as long as they keep up the good service as it can totally wreck a good experience if they slacken off.

Visited June 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“High Tea”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2013

I booked a High Tea to celebrate my daughter's birthday. We have experienced a few of these and had been told this was a very good one. We arrived about 8 minutes early but our table wasn't ready so wandered the street and came back. That's ok on a Saturday afternoon.The place was packed and very noisy and we were taken to the small back room with a table against the wall. We were out with the supplies and in between the front rooms and kitchen resulting in the staff constantly dashing back and forth. My daughter was bumped constantly and the table shook as they passed. A full glass of champagne was accidentally dropped right next to us resulting in a wet floor, that although was wiped down, consistently caused trouble for anyone who walked through either to the kitchen or en route to the toilets. One waitress fell and many others slipped, staff and patrons. We also had a constant stream of people looking for the loo. The food was fantastic and nicely presented and champagne lovely, however it took 20 minutes and 3 waitresses before we received our tea order. I don't think I remember anyone smiling until I paid the bill. Too crowded, too chaotic, unsmiling underdressed stressed staff, beautiful food. It was a relief to get out into the street which seemed like an oasis of calm after being inside. So disappointing especially for a special event.

• Visited May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Jenny S
MJZC, Owner at Coco Monde Chocolateria, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Hi Jenny,

We are sorry to hear that you didn't have a good experience despite enjoying the High Tea food. You visited during an extremely busy time, which was the cause of the issues you mentioned. We apologise that we weren't able to seat you in a more comfortable area of the restaurant. Many smaller groups request to sit in that section, but for your group it was probably a little too cramped. Regarding the wait for your tea order, I'm unsure of whether you mean before the order was taken or before it arrived. If it was before it was taken, this would have been because you had the champagne on arrival so we don't usually offer the other drinks until later (most people prefer them with the second course). If it was a wait to receive your order I apologise that we kept you waiting. It was very busy at the time, which means it will take a little longer than usual for drinks or food to come out. Most would say that a 20-minute wait on a busy weekend in a Darby St restaurant is still quite reasonable however, depending on what the order was and the number of items ordered of course. Should you choose to visit again, please let us know when booking and we'll make sure that you are seated comfortably in the front section of the restaurant and that you are very well looked after. Kind Regards, the Coco Monde team
Sydney
“Chocolate Dream”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2013

I had to attend Newcastle on business yesterday and a friend suggested lunch at Coco Monde. The citrus smoked salmon salad was light yet special . An innovative Modern European dish for the lovers of "light" that don't necessarily want rabbit food. The Executive Chief , Justin Moran ,was doing what all good chefs do in places where there is a food and service culture , asking patrons what they liked or didn't about the dish they ordered. Believe it or not an executive chief and owner who actually works in the kitchen and controls quality .This doesn't happen much in the more up market "foodie establishments". It all seems to be about the decore these days .

I took no persuasion to order a chocolate pudding served hot and luscious with a taste contrast home made ice cream served in a separate glass on the same plate . This was exquisite .No fluff. Perfect !
Sadly I get to Newcastle once or twice a year and until now did not look forward to the drive .
What I can't understand is what this place is doing there .Who opens a typically European ,quality oriented chocolataria in Newcastle . Not Vienna , Salzburg or Zurich but Newcastle . Turns out Moran honed his skills in Europe for over a decade some of which was spent as Executive Chief on Netscape billionaire Jim Clarkes super yacht . Obviously Clarkes legendary obsession for perfection found a like mind in Moran .
The Walk out the door took me past the chocolate display when one a Coco Monde Rockey Road beckoned me to stop. I snacked on it when I got home . The BEST I have ever had.Perfect combination of Marsh mellow , not bitter, dark chocolate and nuts with a little bit of what I suspect was cherry. I would like to go back and try the new dinner menu.Unfortunately I have just discovered that I can't order the Chocolate on line which is a blow considering the place is in Newcastle! Whilst it was 5/5 for every thing else I could only give the place 4/5 for atmosphere because it is in Newcastle after all.
Lucky Newcastlites