“Needs a revamp”

Quality Hotel Noah's On the Beach
Ranked #9 of 25 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed August 3, 2012

On entering our room we were hit with bright aqua blue and bronze wallpaper, carpet, curtains and soft furnishings..... The bed was comfortable and the bathroom clean. A great view across the beach from the windows. Breakfast was very nice. Ate at the restaurant for dinner- the menu needs updating- a $60 lobster dish was served on overlooked pasta with frozen rubbery lobster and was very disappointing and salt and pepper squid was very oily. For the price there are better places to stay and eat in Newcastle.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 1, 2012

great location near beach and cbd. staff excellent/efficient/friendly. ginormous delisho brekky cooked fresh. basic if continental. papers avail. very clean, but, very smelly suffocating room deoderant used!! YUK!! slept with window open all night, even though it was freezing, and it let the light in, so no sleep-in, and was very noisy in the early morning as we overlooked the back. also, bit dated, but tasteful decor. cramped - 30cm up one side of bed to get in/out. no bedside lights for reading, only one above bed. bathroom ok - good shower head. bed had a strange chemically smell, kinda like dry cleaning? :o( i wouldn't stay there again, as chemicals re. room deod. are a big no for us, so the positives didn't outweigh it.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Stayed 3 nights for a school reunion and was extremely happy. I was in one of the cheaper rooms and as such had the view described in a previous review as a "view of the carpark. It is uninspiring, but I have stayed in inner city 5 star hotels with views that were no better.

I can remember back in my teens living in Newcastle (I am now well into my fifties) when this venue was built. Naturally things are now a little dated and the temporary offices jutting from the side of the Hotel do jar a little but all up this Hotel does all that can be expected of it, and then the excellent staff can that little bit further.

I left behind in my room a framed photo with deep sentimental value to me. By the time I had arrived home I had an email from reception to say that the photo had been found (at this stage I hadn't realised I had left it) and asking if I would like them to send it on to me. Very thoughtful!

Finally I must mention breakfast in the restaurant. This was beautifully prepared and served by excellent staff who made the start of the day pleasant indeed. The highlight however was looking out at the Pacific Ocean through the large windows and watching migrating whales breeching just a few hundred metres away. Sheer magic!!!

Room Tip: Pay extra for the view if you find it important.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2012

My husband and I just recently returned from Noahs on the Beach. On a previous occasion I went with my daughter. I loved it both times and would happily stay there again. The wonderful, easy to find, beachfront location, our fabulous 6th floor view, the tasteful decor and the friendly service are all clear pluses in my book. To describe the furnishings as 'dated' (as in a previous review) is being 'a bit precious.' This hotel has clearly the best location in Newcastle. Strolling along the beachfront, then, at the end of the day and in the early morning simply standing on the balcony and staring at the waves roll in was incredibly relaxing. It was just what my frazzled nerves needed! If you want 5-star amenities, look elsewhere. If having a short, quiet, totally relaxing seaside ' getaway' in a beautiful setting that is not far from Sydney is what you are soul is craving, this is it! If you decide to stay at this hotel, I highly recommend that you splurge a little and pay the extra dollars to get a room on the 6th floor, as I did. It is totally worth it.

Room Tip: Amazingly, I ended up totally randomly getting Room 609 twice. It has a great view towards the head...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank EvelynSydney
Reviewed July 16, 2012

I would rate this a Good - between average & very good. I will opt for the TA rating of very good, since good isn't a choice, based on the fact that the room was clean and comfortable. I seem to recall my room appeared to have been recently redecorated. It's in a good spot close to the water, and less expensive than some other chain hotels in town. Stayed only one night for business (during the "winter"), so was not in the hotel except to sleep. For breakfast, I walked down the street to a cafe & was pleased with the food there. The hotel really was just fine, it was just nothing special. But, if I return to Newcastle, I wouldn't mind staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2012

We stayed 3 nights and the best part of 4 days at Noah's a couple of weeks ago. Because I am in the process of editing the novel I have just written I spent everyday in my room on the 4th floor so I became quite famialiar with the room. The view from any front room is simply fantastic! The higher the level the better. While the rooms are dated they are still attractive and comfortable. The bathroom however is small with a shower bathtube combinbation. Breakfast wasnt included in our deal intead we got a $50.00 voucher for food for each day. The choice was a hot breakfast ordered from the menu which was pretty good if a little limited or from a good selection contental breakfast. Just be aware that if you order coffee through the waitstaff you pay extra for each cup. I guess because there is self serve coffee and tea facilities that are included with either breakfast. However their is nothing to tell you that you are going to be charged extra and none of the waiters will tell you unless you ask.The restaurant at Noah's is one of the best in Newcastle but pricy. Noah's does not have any of the normal bells and whisltes you would expect for what you pay. There is no Gym or pool or sauna or for that matter much of a lounge. You pay extra for in room WIFI. There is a small cubicle with a single PC and printer, $.30 P/P that is rather generously described as the business center. Nothing very much in the way of restaurants within walking distance so keep that in mind. All in all however Noah's is very pleasant for short stays. Depite this niggles now that I know what to expect I will certainly stay there again.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper story waterfront room the view is fantastic. I think at this point in time Noah...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 7, 2012

From the moment we arrived at Noah's on the Beach we felt welcomed and important. The staff were friendly, efficient and informative. the room was fabulous and the service fantastic. I don't think there would be a nicer place to stay. Thank you Noah's. We really enjoyed our stay. A shame there was no gym but the walking on the beach {just across the road} was fabulous.

Room Tip: the higher up the better the view but I think all the rooms would be great.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family