“TERRIBLE! , Worst Experience EVER!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chifley Executive Suites

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Chifley Executive Suites
Eleebana
“TERRIBLE! , Worst Experience EVER!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2013

I rarely write reviews but absolutely felt it necessary in this instance. I had to travel urgently from Melbourne to Newcastle & had a reservation at Crown Plaza in Newcastle for $395/night which was a lot for me, but as it was classed as a 5 star hotel, I figured it would be worth it. My arrival was also late at night so it was important for me to get a good nights sleep to be ready 4 my urgent business the following morning. It had been a long day, & I was exhausted upon arrival so you can imagine my horror when reception staff told me very apologetically that there had been a problem with my booking, (overbooked or something) so they had transferred me to a nearby hotel not too far away, being Chifley Executive Suites in Newcastle. It was explained to me that Crown always has a arranged contingency hold on a room at Chifley for these types of circumstances. I was so upset & annoyed but there was nothing much I could do about it as Crown Plaza was now fully booked. Having just taken a long taxi ride from Newi airport to Newcastle CBD, I now had to get another taxi to Chifley as i was exhausted, it was very late, & a bit far to walk with luggage. Crown did not assist with the extra taxi fare. Sooo bad!

Finally arrived at Chifley Suites, kind of old & antiquated building. Only 1 girl on reception who was about to go home 4 the night & who definately gave me the unwelcome impression that I was holding her up. Had to trudge down multiple corridors & 3 lifts to get to my room. Opened the door with an old fashioned key (not the electronic stuff I'm used to) to find a hot as hell 2 bedroom apartment which looked as tho it had not been occupied in let's say, "a really long time". It was like a sauna in there as I immediately found the equally antiquated air con unit which sounded like a rattling train. So tired & almost in tears by this stage, all I wanted was a cup of coffee & a hot shower. Discovered No coffee or tea, as it us not supplied, didn't know u had to buy this stuff yourself from the nearest store which was now closed . Went down to reception , also closed, no one at all on duty after 10pm at night. Not happy & frustration increasing rapidly. Next attempt, shower , virtually no hot water, barely warm at best & only a trickle. What a disaster this place was. Bed really uncomfortable & because it was clear the room hadn't been used in a long time, I think the sheets were on the bed equally long & after half hr, started to itch . Bed bugs, I am sure. No sleep at all, listened all night to the damn air con & itched. No restaurant meant no breakfast. Checked out from this hotel from hell to discover they had already charged my card the same price I had been quoted at Crown Plaza $395. NO WAY was the room I had worth anything like that. I was stunned & disgusted . For this price at Crown I would have got a much nicer modern room with electronic entry, 24 hr reception, concierge, business facilities, room serv, full buffet breakfast, tea & coffee making facilities, no bed bugs & a shower that actually has HOT water. I got none of these things at Chifley Suites in Newcastle. Have NO idea what i have paid for . This hotel on every website imaginable has rooms here listed far cheaper. Havnt found the price i paid anywhere. Don't know who I'm more angry at, Crown for stuffing up my booking in the first place or Chifley for the horrific experience & price I encountered there. Needless to say, will NEVER, EVER, in this lifetime stay there again. I travel a lot & have encountered some pretty awful places yet this hotel & the whole dreadful experience I endured on sooo many levels puts this place as my WORST EVER. !!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank Haleyr52
Jenny J, Manager at Chifley Executive Suites, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Dear Eisteddfo,
We have no record in our system under this name and we have also contacted Crowne Plaza and they also have no record under this name. The rate you quoted that you have paid does not relate to any of our 1 or 2 Bedroom Apartment rates.
Please note we do not have an arrangement contingency hold on rooms with Crowne Plaza as they are a 5 Star Hotel with full 24 Hour Service provided and our establishment is Serviced Apartments, these are 2 very different types of Accommodation.
Chifley Executive Suites is a Brand New Building opening just 18 months ago, we have 2 lifts that service the building. Our Apartments are all fully furnished, self contained with full tea & coffee facilities and all amenities are supplied, including New Linen.
All Apartments have modern Ducted or Split System Air Conditioners and New Furnishings including very comfortable beds.
We do have a regular pest control program in place every 3 - 6 months.
All of our Apartments are checked prior to guests arriving, to ensure everything is ready for a comfortable stay.

Regards
Jenny J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Sydney
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2013

Staid here for one night in March 2013. The hotel is an apartment style hotel. We were upgraded nice touch. However the room had cockroaches, the bath room was small and wifi is extra. The furniture is well worn and was torn. There is no TV in the bedroom.

The positive is that some of the rooms have great harbour views. The hotel has no business centre or restaurant, A disappointment. If you want an apartment hotel suggest you try the Chifley at Honeysuckle drive.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Newcastle hotels

Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2013

The Chifley Executive Suites in Newcastle should be avoided at all costs. We stayed in room 705 in February 2013. It is a 2 bedroom apartment. There are 3 air conditioning units and only one remote. The air conditioners make a loud noise every 3 to 5 minutes for about 20 to 30 seconds, regardless of whether or not they are on. It sounds like a power drill being used right next to your head. After a birthday dinner out we returned to the apartment late and tried to go to sleep. After a few hours of being jarred awake every 3 to 5 minutes we called the number that reception left us. At 3 am a man showed up to help. My partner told him that my parents were asleep in the other room so we had to be very quite (no sense in us all being awake) the man then proceeded to make very loud small talk! “So did your friends from 307 find you?” Are you kidding me?!? It is 3am, now is not the time! He then switched the units off at the electrical box (we could have done that) so that stopped the noise but it meant we had no air conditioning. So we had to sleep with the sliding doors open in noisy Newcastle, with no screens. The next day a repair man showed up but he was unable to do anything, he said the units were installed wrong and that he had put some bubble wrap in the one in the lounge room to try and muffle the noise, this did not help. So we slept with our noise cancelling headphones on and the air conditioning blowing. This did not let us have much of a better sleep than before.

When checking out (after being denied a late checkout, they were fully booked) we requested a discount because we think a hotel you can’t sleep in is not worth $235/night. We were told that we had gotten the best rate possible and that the room was normally $285. When I pointed out to the woman that that was ridiculous she called Jenny to the front desk to see if she could do anything. Jenny was shockingly rude when telling us we had got the best rate. I told her that was disgusting because we couldn’t sleep in the room and it wasn’t fair to charge the full price, she told us that we should have complained more and they would have moved us. We asked why that wasn’t offered at 3am when we complained and she snapped back “there wasn’t a room available then!” then we asked why we weren’t moved the next day and she quite loudly said “because you didn’t complain again so we thought it was fixed” so they don’t talk to their repairmen? She told us that people had been staying there all week and had never complained and I pointed out that room 307 had the exact same problem. She then said that the weather had cooled off so they didn’t think it would be a problem. It was hot and muggy in that room and the hallways and elevators were almost unbearable; no one in their right mind could think the ac was not needed.

Jenny said the best she could do was give us free parking. So we said fine, just charge us for the room so that we can get out of here. While the first woman was putting it through on our credit card Jenny in a very snotty tone asked her “Did room 307 check out yet?” “yes, they just did” to which Jenny said “oh they are all checking out very late today” So told her “maybe if we could sleep at night we would be able to check out on time” and Jenny yelled at me “you should think about the way you speak to people!” !!!!!!

We realize that this is a serviced apartment however they only provided us with 3 bath towels (great for 4 people) and only 2 rolls of toilette paper (the room is only serviced if you stay 4 or more days). We were able to call reception for more of these items but when staying for 2 nights we don’t think we should have to beg for supplies.

I have never been treated so appallingly by someone in customer service. The way Jenny spoke to us was horrifying.

We were in Newcastle for a very special ceremony and we were too tired to enjoy it, or even pay attention during it. The Chifley Suites ruined what should have been a very special day and then to be treated so horrible afterwards was disgusting.

I will never return to the Chifley and I will make sure that everyone I know hears about the horrible way Jenny spoke to us.

Room Tip: Try the Novotel or the Crowne Plaza!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank Stregger
Jenny J, Manager at Chifley Executive Suites, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear Stregger

Thank you for your review. I am sorry about the problem you experienced with the air conditioning during your recent stay at Chifley Executive Suites.

We attended your aprtment upon being advised of the problem with noise from one of the air conditioning units.

Upon investigation and in consultation with you it was agreed that turning off the air conditioning was the best short term solution. Unfortunately with the hotel fully booked it was not possible to relocate you to another apartment.

The following day we arranged for a Technician to attend and resolve the issue. When we visited you later in the day to drop off additional towels you appeared happy and we understood the matter to be resolved. I apologise that this was not the case. I understand your frustration and had we been aware that it was not resolved moving apartments for the second night would have provided a simple and effective solution.

We have a genuine and sincere desire for guests to enjoy their time with us. I apologise that was not the case on this occasion.

Kind Regards

Jenny James
New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed 4 nights over Christmas with our 2 children. We had a harbour view apartment with a balcony. The apartment was a good size for the 4 of us and was clean and well-appointed. The view was great and super-entertaining for the kids with tugs, ships, trains, helicopters and ferries to spot. The location is excellent, being a short (flat) walk to Newcastle Beach and with transport at the door. The undercover parking is tight but secure.

Minor quibbles. The air-conditioning is noisy - we did without it as much as we could. The hot water was a bit reluctant to get going too, but was fine when it did. A more reasonably sized utility knife in the kitchen would have been useful as well. The machete-sized monstrosity provided was useless for fiddlier tasks.

Also, after some recent bad experience with booking accommodation (both times in Newcastle as it happened) I requested email confirmation of my original phone booking. I was promised this but it did not eventuate and I ended up ringing back a week or so later to make sure everything was okay. It was but written confirmation would have been appreciated.

Overall however our experience was very positive and we look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Tracey A
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

The apartments are located right opposite Newcastle train station so convenient if you are travelling and the view from my apartment was great as it looked out on the harbour. Surprisingly there was no noise from the trains although there was some sound of some ships' sounding their horns as they passed in the harbour. I suppose you can't have everything. The apartments are kept very clean and come equipped with TV, DVD, fridge and washing machine, not that I used the latter. The staff are friendly and the manager lives on site so there is always someone there. The only thing to watch is they shut up the counter service at 7pm and you have to ring for service if you arrive late.

Room Tip: Ask for one opposite the station if you want a view and one on the other side if you want quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2013

Used newcastle as half way stop to and from Coff's Harbour. With two grandsons stayed at Noah's on the Beach on way up and looked for more space on return trip. Booked through wotif and found apartment spacious and well fitted out but not great design. Only one split system airconditioner so one bedroom a bit warm. No facilities other than the room. Shower has no fittings for toiletries. Well located but no atmosphere and lift arrangement ridiculous - bulding split in two with seperate lifts to tiny reception area. Overpriced for what you get and not a place to stay with children.

Room Tip: good views from balcony at side of building but no facilities at all only reception. Ok for business...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Wollongong, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

There are two Chifleys' in Newcastle so check your address before hand but they are close to each other. Staff friendly.Our apartment lacked a bit of privacy but we just kept the blinds down. Three air conditioners and one remote. So noisy we could not have it on in the bedroom - even noisy when turned off! When we told staff of the problem they said set it at a higher temperature (didn't stop the drilling noise) - so they were fully aware of the problem but didn't fix it. Not a good thing in the summer heat. Plenty of space for our purposes - but a bit of a battle to lean over the bedside table to use the balcony door and/or adjust the blinds. Very comfortable beds though. The property is well located and an easy walk to harbour, beach, pool and cafes. Newcastle has really re-invented itself and this was a good place to stay and enjoy what it has to offer.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family