“Slowly Heading South :-(”

Bocados Spanish Kitchen
Reserve with
Bocados Spanish Kitchen is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6 of 560 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: South American, Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
“Slowly Heading South :-(”
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

Is Bocados Spanish Kitchen suffering from a superiority complex? I eat at least once per month here and the service is deteriorating. I checked in with my partner, only to be told that the table reserved for me has been wrongly given to another couple. Young waiter points out mistake to young waitress, both of whom seem a bit clueless, clearly lacking in experience. Every decent waiter will tell you that you do NOT tell the customer that you screwed up his reservation. He even pointed out which was 'our' table that we lost out on. The older waitress, lady around 40, explained the dishes wonderfully buy for the service we were stuck with Boy Wonder. He delivers a plate to a table and is in a daydream on his way back, totally oblivious to my waving. After four wave attempts, I had to click my fingers (which I NEVER do) to snap him out of his reverie. Attracting his attention was a constant battle - more red wine, more food, the bill - until it wore me down.

The food was excellent as always - tomato mozzarella, potatoes, meatballs - but the wine servings miserably small. The ambience is not good. Bocados is far too noisy but I think it's the acoustics, and can't be helped.

In summary, I think Bocados is slipping. It is becoming complacent as business is still booming. The three dishes mentioned, plus a glass of sangria and two glasses of Tempranillo came to $68. I paid $70 because I will not tip poor service. And please, management, hire wait staff that can do their job properly. I won't be returning.

• Visited September 2013

Newcastle, Australia
“Beautiful food but we did get sick : (”
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I love this place, the food is always so beautiful! Some of the best tapas in Newcastle. However on a recent trip but the hubby and I were sick during the night and the next day and we put it down to one of the meals we though didn't taste quite right. In saying that I would still go back. A true sign of yummy food!

Visited September 2013
sydney
“Rivals Barcelona tapas”
Reviewed August 31, 2013

What a pleasant surprise. Visiting with family and went looking for somewhere to eat. Saw 'Spanish' on the sign as we drove by and thought it might be interesting. Went in with no expectations and were delighted that we did.
The service was very friendly and efficient and at the same time unobtrusive. The menu was interesting and with a range to suit most palates. Meals are either small plates to share, tapas style, or main plated meals. The wine list was compact and thankfully with a few available by the glass.
We chose to share small plates. Our selection was beef cheeks with cauliflower puree, which was fall apart tender, flavoursome plus and was awarded dish of the day at our table. A close second was the orange glazed duck leg, which was sticky and sweet tangy and succulent. The crispy pork belly was done to perfection, soft and tender meat with the crispiest salted crackle I've ever had. Spicy chicken wings were crispy and flavoursome, not too spicy but with a little kick, delicious. The meatballs were sublime, juicy meaty (not full of breadcrumbs) and with a deliciously thick tomatoey sauce. The garlic chilli prawns were well cooked and the garlicky oil was perfect for dipping the lovely lightly toasted sourdough into. To finish we all shared portugese tarts and the pedro ximenez chocolate mousse. Both were crazy good and washed down with a very good coffee.
Do yourself a favour and eat there. You won't regret it.

• Visited August 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“One of the best in town.”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

What a great idea it was to come to Bocados tonight. Two of us had a the equivalent of 2 small Tapas each plus the Churros for dessert to share with coffee. The Whitebait was terrific and the Paella sensational. Great atmosphere and wine list too makes it a must.

• Visited August 2013
Lake Macquarie
“Spanish”
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Great Spanish fare, although they could cater more for non seafood eaters. Many people are allergic to seafood or simply do not like it and as this is not specifically a seafood restaurant one would expect to have a wider choice. Was disappointing to arrive for lunch and be limited to choice.

Visited August 2013