“Outstanding again!”

Subo
Ranked #1 of 565 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: Contemporary, International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Our aim is to provide simple pleasures - food that is handled with care, wine that fills the senses and service that is attentive and thoughtful.
“Outstanding again!”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

As residents of Newcastle this is I think the fourth or fifth time we have been lucky enough to eat at Subo, I am not really sure what the previous reviewers were missing, we had the tasting menu and the quality, presentation and flavour of the food was outstanding!! I agree with their reviews about the service the staff are very knowledgeable about the menu and wine list, the best part is that there is always a story behind what has been served. Keep up the great work Suzie & Beau congratulations on the second hat, it is a remarkable achievement for a small restaurant in the West end of Newcastle. We look forward to returning again soon!

Lake Macquarie, Australia
“This is #1?”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a difficult review for me to write.

I was with a group who had the $80+ tasting menu. In many ways I enjoyed the meal at Subo - the food was well presented and the waitress took time to explain the menu. It was an interesting menu that included a range of tastes, a variety of dishes and some good accompanying wines.

However I was disappointed and I am not sure why! Maybe it is such a different style of dining to what I am used to? Am I a Philistine among the connoisseurs? I am not a RSL club 'all you can eat' patron but I was disappointed with my meal and I have felt I have eaten better elsewhere and got better value. I discussed my meal with a friend who suggested the word 'pretentious', but that is not quite it either, but it is getting close. I did come away feeling the meal was more 'style' than taste. I certainly came away feeling I needed to eat some more food, ie hungry. I did come away questioning if the meal I just ate was worth $80. It was a good night with friends and an interesting flavour experience, but, as I said, a disappointment.

7 Thank jono13
“Let down by the food.”
Reviewed October 11, 2013

Weirdly everything on our night at Subo was excellent except the most important aspect of any restaurant, the food. The restaurant is stylish and has a lovely relaxed feel. The wait staff were friendly, knowledgeable and welcoming. Sadly the food although competently cooked was a little uninspired and left us feeling disappointed. Subtlety verging on boring. Big shame.

2 Thank JOEWARD80
“SUBO PERFECTO......”
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Coming from a culinary background we expected something exceptional and received exactly that. Took a late booking to be able to get in, booked out mid week as you would expect from a restaurant serving such quality food, and so so glad we did. Duck on broccolinni purée was perfect. Twice baked beef rib on black garlic bagna cauda was rich and delicate. Desserts I couldn't help myself. Ordered blueberry sorbet with lemon cake and freeze dried blueberries with aerated yoghurt. Then backed it up with their 75% cocoa butter choc mousse. Yes I'm a pig but looked and tasted amazing. Definetly not one to pass up. I'll be coming back with 10 of my best friends very soon. Thanks heaps.

1 Thank Marty1600
Newcastle, Australia
“Exceptional”
Reviewed October 5, 2013

I can't fault our evening from food to service. As mentioned in previous reviews, a real gem, hard to find but well worth the effort. We were given a gift voucher as a birthday present. We don't eat out too much due to being fed up with having large tasteless meals, poor service and paying a premium price. But neither were had at Subo. The meals and service were both exceptional and well worth the price. Thank you for a lovely evening and the special touch of remembering the reason for the gift voucher. I will definitely be recommending to friends and will be going back again.

1 Thank Nimontroy