“Disappointing”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Sydney, Australia
“Disappointing”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

Having stayed at this hotel often for 18 months of the past 2 years, but having not been for 6 months, I was looking forward to a night there.
On check in, I was treated quickly and efficiently with an informed approach to the Accor program (it does get tedious being asked if I am a member whenever I stay at a Novotel) and was given the card to my room.
On entering my room, my heart sank. It has to be the worst room I have stayed in in this hotel ever. It seemed tucked away and was TINY! There was no footrest for the chair as I have experienced in all other rooms, and when I asked for one at reception I was told that it was taken out for cleaning. I went out and there was one in the room in my return, however I wish I had not asked for it as it cut the usable floor space down significantly.
I ordered the pizza for dinner which arrived well undercooked and soggy so I left the (mainly) uneaten portion upside the room on the tray at 7pm. When I left the room the next morning at 730am the tray was still there.
Very disappointing and I will have to assess my options for accommodation for my next few visits.

• Stayed May 2013
glovers1, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Beach, responded to this review, May 12, 2013
Dear Adam R,
Thank you for your review of Novotel Newcastle Beach. We are very sorry that your stay did not meet expectations. As you indicated in your comments from previous stays most of our rooms are spacious with wonderful outlooks, unfortunately we do have a few rooms which do not have ocean facing views which you have clearly been allocated. If you are planning a return trip to Newcastle please email me directly on H8771-GM@accor.com so we can ensure you have a nice view.
In relation to the pizza I have forwarded your comments to our Executive Chef, we apologise that the quality of your meal was poor and also that they tray was not collected in a timely manner. We thank you again for providing feedback on your stay.
Simon Glover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (124)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Reviewed May 9, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a weekend away. The service could not be faulted. The staff went out of there way to help us. We stayed in the ocean view room and were treated to a pod of dolphins from our balcony on our last afternoon. Will definitely stay here again

• Stayed March 2013
Dear Kpenhurst,
We appreciate you taking the time to review your stay with us at Novotel Newcastle Beach, thank you for your kind comments regarding our staff and service. If you are coming again in Winter it is a regular occurance that the dolphins will be replaced by Whales! We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Very nice hotel close to the beach. My room faced out on to a construction site and a Spanish Restaurant which was open for a function, so there was some noise. However the room was clean and nicely presented and quite spacious. This does seem to be a quiet part of town and I didn't find much choice around in terms of food - streets were quite deserted. (It was a Monday night)

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 2, 2013

It was a pleasure to stay! I loved the location and the staff we excellent.
Very efficient and friendly.
I will definitely stay again and tell friends what a great hotel it is!
Thank you to all your staff.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Dear Angel071061,
Thank you very much for the kind review, we are very pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us in Newcastle, we hope to welcome you back again soon!
Kind regards
Gunnedah, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

We arrived late afternoon and as we were going to a concert that night ordered room service to be delivered at 6pm so we didn't have to rush . It arrived on time and was very nice. The bed was very comfortable and the staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast the following morning was very tasty and plenty of it. After reading some comments on this site I was a little hesitant but was pleasantly surprised and would most definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
glovers1, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Albieviolet,
Thank you for your review, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us in Newcastle. The new branding for Newcastle is "see change" so we are always hoping to surprise and delight out guests, thank you again and we hope to welcome you back in the future.
Denman, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2013

At reception very polite and friendly, helpful in all areas, rang down for room service, was disappointed with the way the lady addressed the call. If I remember rightly, she did not give me a name and went ah when I asked for extra butter to go with my vegies. Meal was delivered, but no butter. It arrived about 5 mins later approx. Food was delicious. Next day all I could hear was a jack hammer outside, about 8am. Went out for the afternoon. Decided to get take away for tea. On the morning of the 24th, housekeeping intruded while I was still in bed 10.26am. I had organised a late check out for 1pm at reception the previous evening. I departed hotel around 11 45 am. Reception staff on the ball.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel as it was the "best" in Newcastle that I could find on the Internet. The Receptionist who helped me find my way (problems with the GPS) was outstanding, otherwise I was disappointed with the stay. The "ocean view" for which I had paid extra overlooked some works and a road before the partial glimpse of the Pacific was seen; the room itself can best be described as "austere" (maybe some would say minimalist). AUD25 per person for breakfast is outrageous, I cannot comment on quality as I was not going to pay this (even in generally-expensive Australia) -- the bikers cafe at Wickham was brilliant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Peter B
Dear PeterB,
Thank you for the review of Novotel Newcastle Beach, we appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms, the designers of the rooms were going for a "beachy" type feel which was clearly not to your taste. Great to hear you found one of Newcastle's many hidden gems in the bikers cafe at Wickham, there are many such places in the city. Thank you again for your review.