“Expensive and Austere”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Singapore, Singapore
“Expensive and Austere”
Reviewed April 20, 2013

I stayed in this hotel as it was the "best" in Newcastle that I could find on the Internet. The Receptionist who helped me find my way (problems with the GPS) was outstanding, otherwise I was disappointed with the stay. The "ocean view" for which I had paid extra overlooked some works and a road before the partial glimpse of the Pacific was seen; the room itself can best be described as "austere" (maybe some would say minimalist). AUD25 per person for breakfast is outrageous, I cannot comment on quality as I was not going to pay this (even in generally-expensive Australia) -- the bikers cafe at Wickham was brilliant.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

1 Thank Peter B
glovers1, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Beach, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear PeterB,
Thank you for the review of Novotel Newcastle Beach, we appreciate your feedback regarding the rooms, the designers of the rooms were going for a "beachy" type feel which was clearly not to your taste. Great to hear you found one of Newcastle's many hidden gems in the bikers cafe at Wickham, there are many such places in the city. Thank you again for your review.
Simon Glover

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 15, 2013

It is easy to find with short term parking free out the front. Check in was quick, the staff were friendly. To park underground in the hotel is $18 per day, which is not included in the room rate.

The rooms are modern, spacious and clean, nice crisp sheets and not a spot of dust or mould

The breakfast in the lobby is fresh, simple and plenty of it with the typical hot food, bacon eggs etc, fresh baked goods.

The beach is only a short walk, 100m or less from the hotel lobby. There are a few nice cafés hidden behind the hotel away from the expensive ones on the beach.

If you found this review helpful please hit the "YES" button below - MRyan Photography

Room Tip: Only the top floors facing east have 'beach views'
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear MRyanPhotography,
Thank you for your review of Novotel Newcastle Beach, we appreciate the positive comments and hope that you will stay with us again.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 13, 2013

Must say I was disappointed with the views from this hotel, I paid a good rate for a room with a Beach view-saw the corner of one of the beaches but that's it! however you can walk to the beach front with a minute or two-and that was spectacular.
Food was very good, breakfast enjoyable sitting outside the restaurant.
Overall a good hote.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

1 Thank graeme_lea
Dear Graeme_Lea,
Thank you for your review on Novotel Newcastle Beach, we are indeed blessed with our location near the beach, we apologise that the view from your room did not meet your expectations. We appreciate the positive comments regarding breakfast and your stay overall and hope that you will stay with us again, we have some lovely views of the Harbour on the Northern side of the building.
Kind regards
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having worked in the hotel industry it's always nice to stay in a new hotel. Rooms are great beds are really comfortable and service is friendly and professional. Can't wait to stay again1 Have been telling everyone how wonderful it is!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

glovers1, General Manager at Novotel Newcastle Beach, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
Dear Wishiwasinborabora,
I would like to commend you on your imaginative Tripadvisor tag, I am sure that many others share your wish! Thank you so much for the very kind review of Novotel Newcastle Beach, we really appreciate the positive feedback and hope that you will return to stay with us again soon.
Wollongong, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We recently stayed at the Novotel in Newcastle NSW. It was a two day stay just prior to the Easter break. They had a two day offer including breakfast, but not parking. I thought that it was good value. We had a lovely room plenty big enough for the two of us. We had a casual dinner in the hotel on the first night which was reasonable value. Breakfast was OK but not to the usual Novotel quantity, although this is a smaller hotel than other Novotel's we have stayed in and we did visit towards the end of the breakfast period. The staff were very nice, both in the restaurant and on the reception desk. Actually on the day we were leaving they went the extra mile. I needed to find a supermarket that would be open,on a public holiday. With a bit of extra effort they were able to find one for me, not too far away. I would certainly visit the hotel again the next time we are in Newcastle. Plenty of restaurants close by too and lovely places to wak.

Room Tip: Higher floor are probably better. Some building work going on nearby, but this did not bother us.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Port Macquarie
Reviewed April 5, 2013

When I phoned to make my booking, I was put on hold for 10 min. Then I was told can they call back at 7am the following morning and this staff member was very vague...then I received a phone call the following morning at 1030...when I advised them I was expecting a phone call at 7am the response I received was..."they know that we can't call at 7am"...sorry not a good start and a response....
However the motel was clean, mould on the shower tiles...comfy bed..great food..except I had an old menu in my room...I received an apology for this when I was making my order...also menus/information books in the room were very stained...quick checkout..good parking....when I was vacating my room the cleaner was pacing outside for me to leave my room...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Coastalgal99
Dear Coastalgal99,
Thank you for your review of Novotel Newcastle Beach. Firstly we would like to apologise for your reservations experience, this should not have occured and I will follow up with our Front Office team to ensure we do not have this occurance in the future. We appreciate your comments in relation to the room, we update our collateral regularly but clearly on this occasion we had not replaced all items, for which we apologise. We hope that you will stay with us again in the future so we have the opportunity to demonstrate that this is not typical of the service in our hotel.
Melbourne
Reviewed April 4, 2013

Stayed 3 nights here over the recent Easter long weekend. Previously was the Sebel and rooms have been refurbished to Novotel style. Had a harbour view room...room was clean and bed was comfy. They also had a pillow menu which was fantastic...only thing was those pillow were taken away by housekeeping when they made up our room. Another minor hiccup we have on day 2 was our room keys were deactivated. Otherwise everything else was great with friendly assistance from the reception on directions around and things to cover.
One thing I have to highlight is the location. It is fabulous, great and perfect! Newcastle beach is by your door step. There is a great french bistro...Le Petit Deux 2 mins away where you can get great French food like you have find in Paris. You can walk to Nobbys from here and street parking is easy to get too. Overall am looking forward to stay here again when I am in Newcastle.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple