“Could have been great”

Ranked #4 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
south coast, NSW
“Could have been great”
Reviewed April 28, 2011

Great location and as it's a new property this hotel should be amazing... It's not. The design is skimpy... It feels like a 4 star apartment rather than a luxury hotel. And it feels like you could be anywhere.. Not on the beach in a lovely part of Newcastle. At $250 a night that's not really good enough.
There were lots of negatives.. Room layout ( the door hits the toilet in the ocean view room), the ocean view room actually looks over a giant hole in the ground next door, the windows are filthy so there's no view anyway ( the city view was much better), the staff dont know their in a cool part of town & don't tell you about the wonderful estabar around the corner ( and unlike the sebel it overlooks the beach), the duvet on the bed is incredibly heavy..... Etc. It really is disappointing. Could have been great, but it isn't.

• Stayed April 2011
5 Thank imalwayspacked

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed April 24, 2011

Had a great two night stay with my partner. We just wanted to get away for a couple of nights. We used the lovely spa/splash pool and had a relaxing steam in the Sauna too. The location is a stones through from the lovely beach and very close to the Newcastle Train Station. This is the perfect Hotel if you want a bit of luxury and a break. Friday night we paid a little less than the saturday so that is why I have not given 5 stars for Value. But was a gorgeous stay. We also attended a Hunter Valley Tour that the Sebel recommended which was great, Textours.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fithealthabroad
Reviewed April 2, 2011

This is a stylish new hotel in buzzy Newcastle East. We were attending a family function nearby and needed accommodation for a couple and two children aged 10 and 13. The Sebel offered us two rooms for just over $300 (what I would have expected to pay for one room at a comparable hotel) and best of all, the rooms were entered through a shared vestibule. We had privacy with the reassurance of knowing the children were behind a common locked door. We had views across the harbour and up the coast in one direction and over Newcastle Beach and baths in the other. Another big plus for me was that the windows actually opened so we didn't need to use air conditioning, although it was there if needed. My daughter asked if we could stay there on all of our visits to Newcastle and I know I certainly would like to go back.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank Ally61
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed March 27, 2011

10/10

After carefully reading all information on hotels website i decided to book a harbour view room. This was the best view I have ever had in a hotel room in newcastle. Room was clean and very well presented.
Staff were very warm and welcoming and helped us find great areas of town to explore.
Great job guys!

Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank 255059RobertR
Reviewed March 20, 2011

We went to Newcastle for a wedding and were hoping for a nice relaxing weekend escape.

I looked at the Sebel website and rooms looked good, nice balcony, ocean view, big hotel - all good, right? No.

The hotel is the first five floors of the building you see in the photos on the website and the rest of it is apartments, so no sweeping views and it is not on the beach. In fact, I paid extra for an Ocean side room. Please see photos for the view. Very misleading website.

Staff were very nice and friendly (one positive) and the hotel is clean & new (but very badly designed). We checked in and went up to our room - only to find someone elses suitcase and things in the room. We called reception and went back down to be sent to another room - that faced a building and onto the street. I picked up the phone to call reception and the phone did not work. I went back down to reception to ask about my "Oceanside" room and was told they were all booked out (I'd booked around two months earlier). Was told if I go back to my room and wait, they will try and sort something out. It was not 8pm, we had driven for 2.5 hours and we were hungry. I was not going to sit in my room & wait. We left the hotel and went to dinner.

Arriving back in the hotel, we asked if there was another room and were then moved to another room on the other side of the hotel.

At around 11pm, a staff member knocked on our door with a bottle of champagne on ice in a bucket to apologise. While this was a nice gesture, it was 11pm - and it was really cheap champagne - so kind of missed the mark.

I could go on about the hotel, but needless to say we were grossly diappointed. Getting dressed to attend a wedding, the full length mirror on the back of the cupboard door was unusable because you can't open the cupboard door properly because it bumps up against the hinge of the front door (see photo). No bathrobes in this room, but there was in the previous room we'd been in.

The offer to use the hotel's wi fi kept popping up on my iPhone and when I went to join (which is free in most hotels) I saw it was $9.95 for an hour!!! The packages to use wi fi went up from there.

We also had the pleasure of paying $15 per night to park our car on top of our $200+ room rate.I saw when I got home that their a feature of the "Oceanview" room on their website is an "opening window". I wish I'd noticed this when I was booking. This kind of sums up the hotel.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Joolzsunka
Reviewed February 20, 2011

If you're like me there are a few things you expect of a hotel. These include a comfortable bed, good nights sleep, cleanliness, a good shower/bath and good service.

The hotel is located in an excellent location and is very close to Newcastle beach (note: the hotel provides beach towels). It is also close to cafes and is a short walk to the foreshore. They could not have picked a better location for the hotel.

The rooms where generous in size (we had a Ocean View Studio) and were nicely decorated. The hotel was very clean and everything was so new.

When checking into the hotel the service was pretty average. Nothing special and no real welcome from the staff member. As part of the check-in process, most hotels take an in-print of your credit card, for charges (and damages). This hotel refers to it as a bond, which is a little disappointing as it makes the hotel sound cheap and insinuates that you're going to damage the place or run off without paying. This is not a term I hear from other hotels.

If you're after a good hot shower or bath then this is NOT the hotel for you. The showers are fitted with water saving devices that require you to spend 20 mins just to get wet.

After my experience with the disappointing shower, I headed downstairs to have some dinner. After taking a seat at the restaurant and waiting 10 minutes without being served, I go up and took my money elsewhere.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank crumycat
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2011

When i arrived with my partner i was expecting big things... Concierge at the front door to open the car door, take luggage and park the car... Reception on checkin to explain where everything was located (even breakfast) but i didn't have this so called service at all when i arrived at THE SEBEL. I called reception once i struggled to find where the room was without being given directions from the male recpetionist on that morning to book dinner for us, got to the restaurant and they didn't have a reservation for me. The room was a bit of a let down with the television not working the entire first night we were there, housekeeping not cleaning our room only giving us fresh towels (i do work in hospitality so there was no DND sign on the door that would prevent them from entering the room).

I realised this is a new hotel and feedback is vital for the money that was paid i expected so much more.

However i would like to mention your receptionist James & Kyle from breakfast were outstanding and made us feel welcome.

I have no doubt in the near future once these small problems are dealt withit could be a magnificent hotel.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple