“No hot showers, wrong booking, good pizza.”
Review of Oriental Hotel

Oriental Hotel
Brisbane
“No hot showers, wrong booking, good pizza.”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had a terrible experience with the Oriental Hotel. I booked a room with the them three months in advance through Agoda. However when I called the hotel to confirm, they told me that the Queen room I had booked was not available. Instead, they offered me a single room. To double check, I called back a month after the original booking, and they had my booking wrong but said that they would amend it.

After two wrong bookings, I thought it would be important to confirm a third time. On the third time, they had my booking wrong yet again! They had written down the wrong days. They refused to acknowledge that they had made a mistake, refused to rectify it, refused to provide me with any sort of a discount for their mis-management and the owner of the hotel was extremely rude to me on the phone, stating that it was my fault.

To top it off, the showers had NO hot water, and the towels from the previous stayers were still hanging on the back of the door. Yuck. I am extremely disappointed with their lack of organisation and lack of customer service. Have a pizza there, stay somewhere else.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank geline100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Marcoola, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I needed a cheap place for one night, and am glad I picked to stay here. Recently renovated, the rooms were clean and tidy. The bathrooms were spotless and well kept. The staff were so friendly too, and that was a nice bonus. The pizza at the pub was amazing! Would stay here again. I was quite cold though, no heater in my room. There is free parking on the streets near by. Just notice the signs, some is limited parking.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank KathrynNickel
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I was looking for a quick and affordable place to stay at a moments notice. I called and spoke with Sam and Laura, they are both lovely and extremely helpful people who were able to help me with my last minute request. I arrived late to be greeted by the two friendly people who showed me to my room. The room was above standard and was perfect for my needs. When I asked what time checkout was the answer was "anytime before 12" now what kind of large company does that? Excellent service. Will be staying there many more times :-)

• Stayed May 2013
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Our stay at the Oriental Hotel was great. Clean and comfortable size and a great price for a weekend stay. The pub below has been recently renovated and has a cool hip vibe about it. Unlike the other larger pubs in the area this is a great place for dinner and a beer. Drinks are cheap and the pizza taste fabulous. The owners are lovely, very friendly and made our stay in Newcastle memorable.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here one night to break up a long drive. Pub downstairs is nothing to write home about but the upstairs rooms are great. Basic but spacious and clean with comfy beds. Shared kitchen with basic supplies, again very clean. Shared bathrooms and toilets to a good standard and a lovely powerful shower over the bath. Towels are supplied but no toiletries as in a hotel. When we first checked in one of the rooms hadnt been cleaned and made up so a bit disorganised - never mind, we just had a drink in the bar and it was sorted out. Location is good with a lively pub across the road and Darby street is a few minutes walk away for a great choice of cafes etc. A bit of pub noise overnight but that's to be expected - generally a good stay in unexpectedly nice rooms. Great value and recommended.

• Stayed December 2012
singapore
Reviewed November 4, 2012

At AUD 69 a night, the quality of Oriental Hotel is really good. Modeled like a hostel, it has shared bathroom facilities and kitchen on top of a pub. The kitchen, toilets and bathrooms are spotlessly clean which is amazing. Same applies to the very spacious room I had. They gave me a room with a single and queen size bed, good for a family of 3! The only downside is the tiny TV in the room, is it even 18 inch? But that’s not a big issue since I wasn’t spending a lot of time in the room watching TV. Seems there's also no daily house-keeping here, not an issue for me too. But one downside there was the lack of WiFi. I had to get WiFi from cafes in Darby St 5 mins walk away which placed a constraint on the surfing time I had at night. Overall, I would highly recommend this little gem in Cooks Hill, Newcastle =)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed September 10, 2012

I went and stayed recently on my own, and the two owners are a lovely couple that made me feel so welcome! The accomodation is clean and crisp, and gorgeous! Cant recommend this place enough!! The Oriental is a charming little pub with an awesome selection of gourmet woodfired pizzas! It will be my only place I stay in Newy from now on!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business