“the coffee saved it”

Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Sydney
“the coffee saved it”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

This would have been a two star review but for an excellent cup of coffee. Granted 7.00am on a Monday morning is an early start but from other reviews, I expected a better breakfast. The restaurant was pretty full and very noisy when I arrived. I ordered the strawberry and cream French toast but was told they were out of strawberries - I could have it with pear and rhubarb compote, which I accepted. As the dish was described as coming with custard, I asked that the dish be served without the cream. The dish came - one piece of sourdough French toast with a topping of compote and a very large scoop of cream sitting in a sea of thin vanilla custard with a garnish of flaked almonds. The pears were barely cooked and the knife and fork - no spoon -defeated my attempts to eat the custard. And then the waitress tried to remove my plate when I still had a lot of the toast left to eat (my companion had finished her dish). Maybe I got them on a bad day, but it was very disappointing. And nearly $22.00 for my share of the bill seemed steep.

• Visited September 2012

Newcastle
“Better quality control needed!”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I hadn’t eaten breakfast at Three Bean for some time. It had always been a favourite for breakfast and lunch.

On this occasion we sampled the creamed corn and poached eggs on sourdough with bacon ($21); and scrambled eggs ($15) with a side of truffled mushrooms ($6); washed down with a large soy flat white ($5) and a large skim flat white ($4.50).

This cafe prides itself on quality produce, and rightly so, but on this occasion, far greater attention was needed in the preparation.

The bacon was cold, hard, black and inedible. It must have been sitting in the kitchen for some time. (We overheard others complaining about cold food). The eggs were lukewarm.

In the past, III Bean’s coffee has been excellent. Not so on this Saturday morning – very weak.

Service, as always, was warm and friendly.

I really think III Bean is pricing itself out of the market if it doesn’t implement better quality control checks before food leaves the kitchen.

Visited August 2012
Ben A, Owner at Three Bean Espresso, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Thanks heaps for your feedback, the clarity of your review really gives me something to work on with my team. Your are absolutely correct in what you say about quality control, this is something we will address immediately.

Most of all though, I am really disappointed that you were not asked by our waiters how your meal was. In the event of any problem our supervisors are briefed to always make an appropriate compensation and apology for any poor experience, in this case I would have hoped that they would have given you your meals & drinks complimentary...... I'm guessing that wasn't the case.

Once again, thanks for your feedback and please don't hesitate to get in contact with me as I would love to make you feel better about your experience.
Karratha, Western Australia, Australia
“Worth it”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Was hard to find at first and needed to reserve a table for saturday morning breakfast. The food was out of sight and the coffee brilliant. Best breakfast cafe I've eaten at to date.

Visited July 2012
Newcastle, Australia
“Always fantastic food, even better coffee”
Reviewed July 27, 2012

A long time devotee, I always enjoy breakfast or lunch at III Bean. The food is always beautifully fresh and well cooked and the Peabury's coffee is both a great blend and always well made. My only gripe is that the food is getting a little on the pricey side, perhaps one of the trappings of success...

Visited April 2012
newcastle,nsw
“3 bean is great”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

We go to 3 bean a lot!! More than once a week!! The coffee is great, the food wonderful and staff super nice.

• Visited July 2012