“Always fantastic food, even better coffee”

Three Bean Espresso
Ranked #12 of 43 Coffee & Tea in Newcastle
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed July 27, 2012

A long time devotee, I always enjoy breakfast or lunch at III Bean. The food is always beautifully fresh and well cooked and the Peabury's coffee is both a great blend and always well made. My only gripe is that the food is getting a little on the pricey side, perhaps one of the trappings of success...

Reviewed July 21, 2012

We go to 3 bean a lot!! More than once a week!! The coffee is great, the food wonderful and staff super nice.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

food was ok though compared to others in the area way too expensive

Ben A, Owner at Three Bean Espresso, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2012

Hi there,

Thanks for your feedback, we've had a bit of a think about our pricing and have introduced a new special that we have been running for the last week priced at $15.

What we have done is create a simple dish around the poached eggs that does not add too significantly to our actual food cost on the dish - it does take some labour though.

The specials thus far have been;

- Poached eggs on toasted sourdough with Nasturtium & walnut pesto. ( I have a lovely Nasturtium plant at home, I made that on a Sunday night.)

- Poached eggs on toasted sourdough with bacon jam (made in house) and topped with our chutney which we also make in house.

I have added photos to trip advisor for you all to see.

I understand that many people find us expensive, and perhaps I could offer some understanding as to why.

On a standard day shift (Monday - Friday) we have in staff; 2 waiters, 2 baristas, 1 Supervisor, 2 qualified chefs, 3 apprentices and myself. Saturdays you can add 5 waiters to that and an extra 25% in the staff's pocket. (we don't have a surcharge by the way)

The reason for us having significantly more staff is due to the nature of our customers being predominantly time poor professionals that appreciate our ability to serve coffee under 5 minutes and meals under 20 minutes. We are usually significantly faster than that and if anyone mentions that they are in a rush we'll jump them straight to the front.

We also use eggs exclusively from two farms Papanui & Cornucopia Biodynamic Farm in NSW that treat their chickens with respect and dignity, this comes at a financial cost to the farmer, then to us, and finally you the customer. I won't tell you how much we pay per dozen for our eggs, but I know for a fact it is 3-4 times as much as other suppliers and we also cannot just order on demand, we have to commit seasonally to enough eggs to supply in excess of a large week so we never run out. This means we are constantly either thinking up ingenious ways to use eggs and often just giving them away. Which is nice, but expensive and part and parcel of our commitment to support these farmers.

Also served exclusively in Three Bean Espresso is Morpeth Sourdough which is a "real" sourdough as opposed to the sourdough flavoured breads that are served in a lot of cafes. This offers you all the health benefits as well as supporting a local artisan baker. The cost of this bread is 2-3 times that of what a normal white or turkish style bread would cost. Same as before; producer pays more, we pay more, and if you like it or your interested - you pay more.

So, I guess in response to being expensive......I think we do cost more, but if we are 20 - 30% more I'd be surprised, but to those 'others in the area' the area that sit $2 - $3 under me, with less staff, cheaper eggs & cheaper bread. Well, to me - that's expensive.

Reviewed July 13, 2012 via mobile

This little cafe is hidden away in Hamilton. Alround they have got it right. Not a table staff member over 25 but they truly are excellent - I always think this means excellent management - well done guys !
Food - all of ours was great I has the savory mince - just right. My wife the salmon and eggs , again very good!
Try this it may surprise you.

Reviewed June 12, 2012

Breakfast with some friends, large tasty servings, good coffee, but parking is a problem