“A surprisingly wonderful hotellife above a pub!”

BEST WESTERN Blackbutt Inn
BEST WESTERN Blackbutt Inn
Ranked #11 of 28 Newcastle B&B and Inns
“A surprisingly wonderful hotellife above a pub!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2011

Was here two nights for business trip. Room small but perfectly formed, modern and clean!!! Had to check in after midnight due to flight delays and it went very smoothly! If staying on weekend pub noise could be distracting but on weeknight could only hear it in corridors. Staff were wonderful. Location was only bug bear cost $28 to get to Newcastle center. Thank you.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank DogsWatch

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 1, 2011

Nice, modern and clean. A bit out of town (15-20 mins drive) but good value for money. Pleasant service levels. Rooms tad small but comfortable and had all you wanted.

• Stayed October 2011
2 Thank Plain_Truth
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

Stayed here because my first choice of Quality Hotel Apollo International was fully booked. The hotel is located on top of Blackbutt Inn and sits on a corner, Check in was casual and friendly, and they allowed me to check-in more than two hours early, so that was very welcome. The reception area was very small, which was a portent for things to come.

The dimly lit corridor led to my room, and it was one of the smaller rooms I have seen - even the average Singapore hotel has larger sized rooms than this. As a measure, the double bed (actually two singles pushed together) only has an arms-length of space between the bed and wall on each of three sides. It feels very enclosed as a single person, so I would definitely not recommend it for couples as they would be constantly getting into the other's way when moving around. There is a narrow entrance hall and a small bathroom - the latter was immaculately clean and had an excellent shower, with some nice toiletries and hair dryer.

The TV has all the free-to-air channels, but no cable TV. DVDs are from hire from the front desk. There was an empty mini-fridge, so it was excellent to use it for self-catering supplies from the nearby Westfield Kotara shopping mall. An ironing board and iron are provided in the room. The air-conditioning was very good, it kept a constant temperature without too much variation.

Apart from the size, the other major issue is street noise, I was on the busier of the two roads (Carnley Avenue) and the sound of vehicles did penetrate the sealed windows - it was not constant, but any reasonably loud car or motorcycle could be heard. I suspect that rooms facing Orchardtown Road might be quieter due to it being a less-used carriageway.

I didn't eat here, so cannot comment on the food, but the prices were quite reasonable when compared to other locations.

Considering the price differential between this hotel and the Apollo, the Apollo offers a lot more space for your dollar and is worth paying the extra. Overall, I wouldn't return here, mainly due to the size of rooms and the street noise, but if saving money in a clean hotel is your primary motivation, then the Blackbutt Inn is hard to beat.

Room Tip: Rooms facing Orchardtown Road may be quieter.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank TheTravelCamel
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2011

I'm from the UK, and when I first saw this place, I was a little taken back. They had a tab (Australian name for betting) at the bar, I was told this was normal. Apart from that shock, the place was great, much bigger than I expected.

I got a bus from just outside Newcastle train station, I asked the driver and there were no problems, dropped me off just outside.

Food is good, with large servings and reasonable prices. Room was immaculate, and all seemed newly kitted out, flat screen TV etc. I slept well, room was quiet, airconditioned with good curtains. Internet access was FREE and uncapped; I spend 30 mins talking with my wife over skype with video, no problem.

Service was un true - really. In the morning I found I was missing the display connector for my apple, needed for the demo in 30mins. The gentleman at reception was very helpful ringing round all of the shops to find some one that stocked it. They found an apple shop in one of the near by shopping centers, and as they were concerned I'd have problems finding the place the manager "Troy" really nice guy, drove and escorted me to the shop and dropped me off for my demo - Unbelievable.!!

It was $12 in a taxi from the hospital, so nice and close.

PS. Blackbutt is the name of a tree, and the nature reserve that is just over the road ;-)

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2010

We stayed here for a night as we had a tour to the Hunter Valley for wine tasting. It is a very small hotel and has a couple of shops close by. It has its own bar which can be quite busy. The town itself was fairly quite. The room was compact but clean and had its own fridge. It is smell a bit damp at first, but this went away after a while when the A/C was on. The room had tea/coffee sachets but it was missing the cups and saucers - so we weren't able to have a drink. The reception was freindly - although there is no space for waiting (eg.waiting for coach pick up). There is parking available behind the hotel - although not the best signage to indicate who the parking is for.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2010

Beautiful rooms - like you'd expect from a quality resort, but at a great price. Hotel seems to have been recently refurbished, and finished with good quality. Service was friendly. Location is central for Newcastle. Best sleep I had on this trip!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business
Dunedin, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2010

We found this small complex to be of excellent value and the service from the owner was more than what we expected of a busy person. We were staying in Newcastle as we had my Nephews wedding to attend. We booked taxi 2 hours before we needed it and then had a panic attack when no taxi arrived and hotel staff couyld not get through to them on telephone. The owner came and spoke with us and said he would get his car and take us there. He got us to the church a couple of minutes before the bride arrived.

Room was very tidy and bed was great. We stayed 3 nights and the room was cleaned spotlessly each day and staff worked around our timings so they left us alone while we got ready for wedding.

There is a beautiful european style deli/cafe next door that is crowded most mornings and the food is fantastic. Worth eating at which we did each morning.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Nohjtraveller
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Best Western Plus Apollo International
#14 of 22 in Newcastle
Merewether Motel
Merewether Motel
#2 of 22 in Newcastle

Been to BEST WESTERN Blackbutt Inn? Share your experiences!