“I am now a regular customer”
Review of Carrington Place

Carrington Place
Carrington Place
Ranked #15 of 29 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Wollongong, Australia
“I am now a regular customer”
Reviewed June 16, 2011

After speaking with a lovely girl on the phone to book I was very much looking forward to arriving. I was greeted on arrival by wonderful staff and escorted to my room to find chic renovated guesthouse style rooms. Beds were incredibly comfy and although the TV was a little outdated it still offered all my favourite foxtel and free to air channels. I did only stay one night and didnt get to try the restaurant but have decided to make regular visits to Carrington Place to try the restuarant and tapas bar! Thanks to a very kind restaurant manager Laura who looked after me at check in, she was a delight!!!

Room Tip: Book over the phone!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2011

The property is an old hotel in what used to be a working class neighborhood back in the day (populated mostly by dock workers, I believe). It's been very nicely refurbished and is in a neighborhood that is undergoing significant gentrification. Do note that this is a guesthouse style accomodation - i.e. shared bathrooms.

The downstairs has a very nice bar as well as a restaurant which serve a variety of food and drinks. I had three meals total at the restaurant: Pizza (off their Tapas/Bar menu), Grilled Lamb and Roast Duck (off their Restaurant menu). The pizza was good but the Lamb and Duck were excellent. Fine dining kept simple but deliciously done,

The guest lounge with coffee/tea service, TV, small dining tables, sofa and writing desk was well appointed and had a relaxing feel to it. The included continental breakfast was served here - a few choices of cerels, coffee, tea, toast with a selection of jams & peanut butter, juice, milk. Nothing special but more than sufficient!

My guest room was their deluxe queen if I remember correctly. It was spacious, comfortable and very nicely decorated. It held a desk, two arm chairs, luggage rack, coat/hat tree and TV stand. And the bed of course. Nice bed, soft linens; towels and bathrobes were nice too. Plenty of windows for natural light but good curtains for sleeping in.

Bathroom was spartan but very clean. A nice touch was a basket full of rolled up hand towels. Basic toiletries of nice quality were provided. There are two showers and toilets - I never had to wait to use the facilities.

The was a kitchenette with sink, fridge, coffee/tea making facilities upstairs near the guest rooms.

Beyond everything, what really made my stay here was the people working there. I was greeted by the hotel manager and made to feel very welcome. She took her time getting me checked-in in the lounge, taking time to talk to me about the area, my plans and answering any questions I had. She helped me sort out some details with the tour company I was going on a winery tour with the next day (Gone Walkabout Safaris, HIGHLY recommended- look them up). Other staff were excellent too - always ready with a courteous smile and ready to help with anything. Very accommodating and friendly. Much of my contact was with who I think was the head waitress or some such position (coincidentally, the daughter of the owner), and she was absolutely lovely - really went above and beyond. The person who seemed in charge of the bar also was very good. Came into contact with several other staff, including the owner who is a chef in the kitchens and all were very nice.

A minor downside to this place is the location - a bit out of the way for sightseeing. However it's only a 10 minute walk to a main dining area or 30 mins to downtown and cabs are easily available. Cab to downtown costs 10-15AUD. Cab to airport cost 50-60AUD. Most tours do door-to-door service though, so that's not an issue.

All in all I had an excellent stay. I chose this place because I enjoy accomodations with a bit more uniqueness and character than your typical hotel and I was definitely not disappointed! Price was good too.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed May 12, 2011

My husband has stayed here before and couldn't reccomend it enough. A regular traveller with his business he often is put up in small b&bs or pub style accommodation bur said this is one of the best. Only recently renovated they have maintained the vintage feel with modern twist, including amazingly comfy beds, foxtel facilities and a genuinely divine restaurant downstairs!!! As I was only visiting myfamily for one night I didn't get to try the tapas menu but my husband and I will definitely be returning, and this time for a nice getaway for ourselves!

• Stayed March 2011
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed May 7, 2011

Went there for Mothers day breakfast. The waitress was hopeless. When breakfast was served it was wrong with no apologies . We even had items totally missed off our plates, even though it stated on menue that they were included. The big breakfast was not on par to other resturants in the area and really was not much more than a child serving. Worst was we were overcharged, which i did not find out until later that day, as my Husband had paid. Won't go there again

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
Sydney
Reviewed April 30, 2011

Stayed here when in Newcastle for a wedding. We stayed in the superior queen with an ensuite. The bar looked nice and the room was clean and tidy. The bathroom was huge and wheelchair accessible which meant the bathroom completely floods when you have a shower because there is no hob and you need to bend down to see your head in the mirror. The worst part about this hotel was that the noise. Do not stay here if you need peace and quiet to sleep. The restaraunt was adjoining our room and was quite noisy but this was nothing compared to the staff. After the bar and restaurant closed the staff who were cleaning up blasted the music and started yelling and screaming. They seemed to show no consideration to the fact that there was a guest room next door. I expected a bit of noise when I reaised the location but I expected more respect from the staff. I had to go out at almost 1am to ask them to be quiet. Also, if the phone rings, it is really loud in the bedroom, enough to wake you up. Perhaps these things arn't a problem with the upstairs rooms but I would not stay here again because I just could not sleep.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 25, 2011

My sister and I had headed home to Carrington to visit family and decided to stay at the old Oriental Hotel which we had heard had been renovated and renamed Carrington Place. We were both delighted with the friendly and experienced staff who greeted us on arrival. We were shown to our rooms, I had the room with private facilities and my sister an upstairs room with shared facilities. Both rooms were very well set out , the bathroom attached to my room was also handicap accessible. The upstairs bathrooms were exceptional well maintained and quite close to all the rooms.
We returned late on the Saturday night after visiting family and were again greeted by the friendly staff who offered to make us a meal even though the kitchen was just about to close. The continental breakfast offered the following morning wasset up in the original Parlour Lounge which was small and quiet and very relaxing for an early morning meal.
On departure the staff were once again fantastic and nothing was too much trouble for them.
If you are a light sleeper the downstairs room with facilities is right next to the office.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 23, 2011

Our stay may have been short but that didn't mean it was anything less than perfect.
Upon arrival we were a little skeptical about the 'pub style' look and feel of the place but after being greeted by the warm and friendly staff and given a gracious tour of the surrounding restaurant and guest area we found the place to be exactly what we were looking for! A fine dining room at the rear of the bar proved to be a perfect atmosphere for the nights getaway for my boyfriend and I and upon entering our room, even without emailer facilities, the room was modern, clean and beautifully presented.
After settling in we were anxious to try the menu downstairs and were treated to nothing less than 5 star service from the staff, even with a small wait for food the atmosphere soothed the anticipation for the arrival of our food and when it arrived it was perfect!
Breakfast, whilst admittedly simple, was still all we needed before an early departure and again, the helpful staff made check out a breeze!!!
We will be returning!!!