“Convenient location”

Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Newcastle
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Great location in Newcastle, close to restaurants. We stayed in two bedroom apartment. The living area was spacious but the bedroom were a little cramped. Got a few bruises from the bedroom furniture. Other than that it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Liss_mj
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2012

Dear Liss_mj,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Chifley Apartments. We are very happy you found the hotel a nice place to stay and that the location was convenient for your needs. We hope to see you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Chifley Apartments Newcastle

Reviewed November 1, 2012

The perfect location- Short walk to all the cafes and restaurants. The Rooms were clean, inviting and very modern- exactly what I was after. The Pool area was perfect for relaxing during the day and I would definitely stay again at this hotel. Thank you for an amazing stay!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2012

Dear Elise A,

Thank you for your review. We are delighted that you enjoyed our location and that our facilties met your needs. Our team take great satisfaction from reading that you had an amazing stay.

Reviewed September 26, 2012

This is a very overprice stay in Newcastle. We have stayed in cheaper places with bigger appartments. Unfortunatley in Newcastle it is around $100 or over $200. This is an over $200 stay and it even comes with cockroaches! If it was around the $120 - $150 price range it would be Okay. The bathroom floors are very slippery. The queen bed takes up most of the bedroom so not much room to move there. Bed is comfortable and water pressure is also good. I think my laptop screen was bigger than the TV! Stereo system looks like a last minute afterthought. Thanks but no thanks. Oh and did I tell you about the $18 car parking fee they did tell you about on the web site? Or at least it is well hidden. Even Sydney only charges $10. Also no free Internet like a lot of other cheaper hotels. mmmmmmmm

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jamie M
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

Dear JAKAR 74,

Thank you for your review. I apologise that we did not provide the experience you expected from us. I acknowledge that our televisions fall short by todays standards. We have listened to feedback from our guests and have recently completed an order for new 40inch LCD televisions which we expect to have installed by mid November. I note your comments regarding cockroaches and we do have occasion where they enter apartments through open windows and balcony doors in particular in close proximity to the gardens on some balconies and on the pool deck. We do have a regular pest control program in place to manage this. I sincerely apologise for this and I understand it is not pleasant. Thank your sharing your experiences.

Reviewed September 19, 2012 via mobile

Breakfast was very poor. Poached eggs pre-prepared and no other choices. Rooms only serviced every third day. Very small tv not watchable from in bed. Not much of a mini bar. Good location though. Close to restaurants and bars and good pool.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank Damo35

Dear Damo 35

Thank you for your review. I am pleased that you found our location convenient for your needs. I note your comments regarding our continental buffet breakfast. We aim to provide a good selection of cereal, juice, fruit and bakery items and usually either poached or scrambled eggs. In addition we are happy to accommodate any requests for runny or hard eggs if that is your preference. Whist we are unable able to provide the variety offered by other hotels, I believe this provides a pleasant alternative to the pre-packaged breakfast boxes so often the only option in many apartment hotels. Thank you again for sharing your thoughts and I hope that we can welcome you back when you next visit Newcastle.

Reviewed September 17, 2012

We booked what we thought was a Honeysuckle Apartment. Turned out that Honeysuckle owns apartments at the Chifley Apartment block. First it was hard to find - look for the Chifley sign. Its on the top of the building not at eye level.
Room was well appointed but no view, you could see the river but only by looking round the balcony. Also along side the rail line but the trains were broke when we were there so not noisy. Basic equiped, small kitchenette, big TV and ne in the bedroom, dryer and w/machine. Nice sized room, very quiet A/c but very noisy bathroom fan.
Three things I donot like and this apartment had them all.
1. lousy sized thin towles and no spares and not changed (we stayed 3 nights)
2. two big single beds screwed together.
3. Wifi via a paid (expensive) site.

Also watch for the $18/ 24hour car parking underneath. Worth it given the outside parking also costs and is very exposed.

On the plus its close to Hunter Street, the Museum, Tourist Info and wharf area - pleanty of food varity and a small IGA nearby.

Staff were helpful and pleasant

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business

Dear Norm D,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you found our team pleasant and helpful. I apologise that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. Apartment services are conducted every 4th day, however should additional towels or amenities be required they can be delivered upon request. In acknowledging your comments regarding locating the hotel, I can advise that we have 2 large illuminated signs normally located on the building exterior on the Wright Lane approach. These signs have been temporarily removed for building works. I understand this does impact guests ability to locate the hotel, I apologise for this and expect to have the signs back up soon. I do hope that we can welcome you back to the hotel some time in the future.

Reviewed August 13, 2012

Not in Honeysuckle drive as advertised but in a street one back. We had a nice view of the raiway yards - with noise accompanying. Told on arrival that car parking would be an extra $18 plus service charge Beds too big for the room. No vanity unit in bathroom just a hand basin. Very basic cooking utensils. Definitely not worth $240 a day.

Ken M

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ken m
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2012

Dear ken m,

Thank you for your review. I am disappointed that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I apologise that you were not made aware of our parking charges prior to your arrival. Free street parking is available close to the hotel between 5.00pm and 9.00am. I also note your comments regarding kitchen utensils and we do have a variety of kitchen utensils which can be requested if you require a specific item not available in your apartment. We value guest feedback and I thank you for taking the time to share yor comments.

Chifley Apartments

Reviewed August 6, 2012

ARRIVAL
10-15mins at the desk with no-one there, had to call phone number for the Chiefly "Hi, its check in time on a Friday and none is here at the desk and I've been waiting for 10-15 minutes..." . A female came out of the office named Dale - blonde hair, nice girl but didn't bother giving us 2 room cards, even though I mentioned we would need them and later when I went and asked again, another staff member told me she should have given us 2 cards.

Also the apartment had a lot of our details wrong on their form – including that we had booked for 3 nights and then when we arrived they only had us down for 1 night (lucky there was room for us … or was it lucky ? … )

APARTMENT (701 executive)
would I be stupid to think an executive should be better than a standard? you pay more, and its called an executive. Well. 701 in my experience, was a pokey tiny corner apartment on the top floor overlooking the noisy railway line with trains going all night over the weekends at least anyway. The decor, no - not like the website - think 80s - loads of black glass furniture everywhere. The balcony door - no matter what and how hard I tried could not shut it, it was so out. but the worst thing - the bed. ROCK HARD. harder than a wooden board in my opinion, and after 2 nights of tossing, turning, no sleep, badly aching back and half a night on the hard floor which seemed cushy in comparison, I finally called reception - not that I wanted to complain – and Ive never complained about a bed anywhere that I've stayed ever, and we have stayed all over the world in motels, but I just couldn't take it anymore.

APARTMENT (207 standard)
reception gave us a new key. so we packed up ALL of our stuff - clothes and groceries, and lugged it down to 207. Thats more like it. This apartment looked like the website. Spacious, modern furnishings, view to the pool and a courtyard area between buildings – couldnt hear the railwqay line. small tv, but we weren't there for tv. And a queen bed, still hard, but not the nightmare of a hard bed up in 701.
If we had of stayed in this apartment to start with I probably wouldnt be on here complaining and probably would have booked here again (and asked for 207) … however … please read about my departure

DEPARTURE
At the desk, the girl wanted to charge us for 3 nights executive because thats what we booked for. I am not paying executive I tell her, because of the inconveniences and all of the problems, I will be happy to pay the standard rate ($15 cheaper per night than executive-a total of $45)

Girl leaves, manager “Matthew Bird” arrives. Rants and raves at me, tells me I'm not getting anything for free. Um, I'm not asking for anything for free. Yes, I stayed here. And I am only going to pay the standard rate – out of fairness, not because I'm trying to get out of paying . ?!
For the $45, when there were problems, you would think they would be happy to keep repeat business (we travel to Newcastle fairly frequently).
But No. Matthew Bird ranted and raved at me – and really really upset me. By the end, I was begging, just charge my credit card so I can leave !
I have never been spoken to as rudely nor inappropriately as how I was spoken to by Matthew Bird. And for THIS reason, we will never stay at the Chifley apartments again – and I certainly wouldnt be recommending anyone stay here.
Also, during the managers rant, I was accused of lying about the pokieness of apartment 701 (anyone who stays in here, you can judge for yourself) and lying about standing at the desk waiting to check in (rant about their excellent 24 hour reception ... ), and also accussed of lying about any female with blonde hair named Dale that worked there to check me in and who I spoke to twice during my stay. So if you meet Dale, say hi to her, pity for her, the manager doesnt have a clue who she is.

BACK AT HOME
trip to the physio to sort out the back pain, caused by the bed in 701

SUMMARY
I think my review says it all - I will never stay here again. Try Clarendon Hotel - its a few steps further to honeysuckle precinct and I've had a few excellent stays there!

Room Tip: don't stay in 701 executive. try a standard instead!
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Krissishi
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2012

Dear Krissishi,

I am disappointed that we were unable to achieve a resolution to the concerns you raise and I again apologise that certain aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. I respectfully disagree with your representation of our discussion as some key points seem to have been omitted from your review. I am sorry the outcome was not more positive. Thank you for your comments.