“Comfortable, would go back again any time!”

Chifley Apartments Newcastle
Ranked #12 of 22 Hotels in Newcastle
Melbourne, Australia
“Comfortable, would go back again any time!”
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We stayed in a one bedroom apartment with a balcony.

This is a great place to stay, not only comfortable but convenient. I didn't find the view of the unused car park an eye sore, it doesn't matter.

I must say what initially appeared ingenious in the way the bedroom is cut off with a glass sliding door, wasn't so godd when it became so hot we couldn't sleep. Just a lack of air circulation even with the door open. So a tip, turn on the air con and have circulation and there is no problem.

The car parking may seem pricey at $18 a night however it is convenient as well and atleast you know the car is safe.

Great place, convenient and comfortable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AVMAustralia
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this review, May 16, 2011
Thank you for sharing your experience at Chifley Apartments Newcastle.
It is wonderful to read that you enjoyed our convenient location and that you found the hotel a great place to stay. We hope to see you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Some of the reviews mention the view, I think we were one of the unlucky ones with the railway view and the ghetto apartments on the other side of the tracks. The place was clean and had a great kitchen and balcony!
I think we went in Winter so the overall atmosphere was gloomy and this area wasn't overly developed but have heard that since then have picked up a lot of business in the area. Would recommend this place and will definately be going back soon.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with friends
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this review, April 11, 2011
Thank you for commenting on your recent stay at Chifley Apartments. I am pleased to read that our facilities met your needs and that you will recommend the hotel to potential guests. I note your comments in relation to the immediate surrounds of the hotel and am enthusiastic about the continuing renewal of Newcastle CBD and further development of the Honeysuckle Precinct.

Sydney
Reviewed February 26, 2011

Look this is just one of the hundreds of apartment hotels that have been built around Australia in the last 10 years. It shares many of the characteristics that I've experienced in others (I avoid them where possible but this was a last minute arrangement and wasn't for a special occasion).

The main characteristic is mean spiritedness and thoughtlessness in the building and decor - in the bathroom, for example: the hook on the back of the door is at the very top so impossible to reach for those of modest hight; one tiny shelf - and lousy light (and no natural light) - all the signs of a bloke designing it; only 2 tracks for the 3 sliding doors on the wardrobe - so nothing opens completely and two people can't be using it a the same time; and everything's noisy - the aircon, the sliding doors, the corridor door; and while the building is pretty new, things are starting to fall apart already - toilet roll holder nearly off the wall as was the hairdryer.

The bedroom is separated from the living area with opaque sliding glass doors - again these don't open adequately. These doors hadn't been wiped down for some time - lots of visible fingerprints. And the couch was grubby.

Overall, this is modestly priced option and if you're spending most of the time out and about at the nearby wharf development or you're on business, then it's a reasonable place to put your head down. But I bet you can't remember it in a few months time!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this review, March 10, 2011
Thank you for sharing your feedback. It was disappointing to read that the design and decor of the Chifley Apartments Newcastle did not cater for your needs in making your stay as comfortable as possible.

The items mentioned requiring attention from our maintenance and houskeeping departments have now been resolved. Thank you for informing us of these issues, and please accept my sincere apologies for this oversight.

Please do not hesitate to contact me directly to discuss the outcome with you personally, with the hope of being able to welcome you back in the future.

kind regards
Matthew BIrd
Chifley Apartments Newcastle
Reviewed January 26, 2011

I stayed here in the second week of January and loved this apartment style hotel.

It's all brand new in the best part of Newcastle on Honeysuckle....right at the Port with all the new restaurants and bars at your doorstep.

This was a fantastic hotel with great service and it was at a fantastic price as well. I will definitely be staying here again when I am in Newcastle for business.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Miapeders83
JessicaR13
Reviewed January 5, 2011

Best hotel I’ve stay at in Newcastle I did read a few of the reviews before I stay there and was a bit concern, but I found both reception & housekeeping staff to be very friendly and helpful. I will be sure to stay at Chifley Apartments on my next trip to Newcastle.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JessicaR13
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this review, January 13, 2011
Thank you for recognising the positive contribution of our team members during your recent stay at Chifley Apartments. We look forward to welcoming you back when you next visit Newcastle.

Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed October 21, 2010

Great location, tidy and new but... I booked through Wotif and stuffed the dates up, so paid hotel directly and kept original booking in place, the manager Nick decided to cancel the booking without discussing it with me or Wotif and on arrival I was told fully booked sorry to bad, broke the law broke an agreement with Wotif and lost a customer, I would never stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank thatkiwijoker
NEWMGR, Manager at Chifley Apartments Newcastle, responded to this review, October 25, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. We were glad to see that you liked the location of the hotel and that it was tidy and new, and are happy that we were able to accommodate you on your first stay with us so that you could experience Chifley Apartments Newcastle. We are very sorry that we were not able to accommodate you on the second visit. Mix ups with reservations rarely occur, however when they do the hotel can generally fix the issue quickly, regardless of where or how the issue arose. in this case sadly the hotel was full. Once again we apologise and welcome the opportunity to discuss this further so that we may welcome you back in the future.

Thornbury
Reviewed October 17, 2010

I left the charger for my video camera in the room. When I got home, I called the hotel to ask if they'd mail it to me. I had to call three times. Each time I called, they promised to look for it and call me back and let me know what was happening. They didn't call back once. They still haven't.

This hotel uses plastic cards for room keys, with encoded magnetic strip. The cards used by this hotel had to be reprogrammed three times over six days. Once I got locked out at 9:00 PM during the week and had to stand outside the hotel in the cold for 15 minutes, waiting for someone to appear at the front desk and let me in. I tried calling the hotel from my mobile, but no one answered the phone.

House keeping is poor. During a six day stay, I always had to ask for dry towels. They do as little as possible, and only on demand. When I checked in - I was carrying a large suitcase and a back pack. House keeping had blocked the hallway with rubbish bags, laundry bags, and a trolley. The house keeper didn't greet me or offer to move any of this stuff out of my way so that I could get to the door of my apartment. Nothing to do with her, obviously.

They booked a motorcycle gang into the hotel during the week I was staying there. Great. A "family hotel". At 2:00 AM during the week someone kept banging on my door and wouldn't stop. Finally I opened it, to find two large, bearded, tattooed, pierced, chained, leather-clad bikies looking at me. I think they were looking for the single lady in the next apartment, judging from the noise that subsequently followed.

I've stayed in some average hotels, motels, backpackers and caravan parks, but this place is down there with the worst of them.

Front desk staff are unprofessional, untrained, uninformed and unconcerned. Their sniffing attitude suggests that any request from a guest is inconvenient, ill-timed and unreasonable.

Stay here only if every other place in Newcastle is booked out. And don't answer the door at 2:00 AM. Call the police.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled on business
3 Thank TheloniusAgain
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about the hotel. We are very disppointed to read about your negative experience with Chifley Apartments Newcastle and I am currently investigating the issues raised. I would welcome the opportunity to discuss the outcome with you personally and can be contacted on (02)49104910