“Enjoyed the day spa somewhat”

Madison Spa Resort - Adults Only
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Moama
Reviewed January 14, 2012

First up, I didn't stay overnight at this spa, I was just a day visitor to use the spa treatments so I can't comment on the rooms. I booked at short notice so they could only find enough time to fit me in for a short massage, which is fair enough without much notice.
I think the pool and bath house have 'good bones' as they say, but it's now time to spruce the place up with a paint job and sundry maintenance.
I enjoyed a dip in the pool, which is small but attractive, and then tested the spa pool, which was ok but not amazing.
I had a most enjoyable 30 minute massage in a pleasant treatment room; the masseuse was a nice young woman but she possesses that irritating habit of the quite young of speaking so rapidly all the words blend into one incomprehensible sound. Grrrr.
The treatment service I had was very nice indeed but overpriced.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights in the presidential suite which had a 2-person spa in the living area. The room was clean, but overall, we were dissappointed with the place in terms of value considering we paid $335 per night. The room contained a double bed, even though a king could have fit easily. And there were NO little touches such as complimentary slippers or an in-room robe, or even breakfast! Everything was an extra here, including the hire of a DVD player which was $15 for the length of the stay. They even charged $6 for each bathbomb they placed in your room, should we have used them. Shampoo/conditioner/handwash/lotion were in dispensers on the walls rather than in takeaway bottles, so you really felt like you weren't getting anything for free here (except a shower cap). Additionally, there were no beach towels provided, luckily we took our own.
As far as I could see (by peeking in some of the other empty rooms), the executive and presidential suites were exactly the same as the other spa suits, ours was only slightly larger.... and I felt very ripped off.

The pool was nice, not as large as it could have been, but also not heated.

The restaurant was average, it was a bit overpriced however the portions were decent.

The day spa itself was fabulous. The staff were great, my husband and I had treatments everyday and they were great and very relaxing. The Bathhouse/sauna were also nice, although seemed a little dirty.

We had a nice, relaxing time. The presentation was nice enough, although a few small touches and attention to detail would have made a huge difference... But the cost was unjustifiable. It is certainly not somewhere worth going to again, nor would I recommend it.

If you have the money to spend to stay at this MOTEL resort (which admittedly is what they call themselves) then go elsewhere. I'm sure you can have a very nice room with better facilities if you stay at the Sheraton or Hilton.

Room Tip: Little difference between Deluxe spa suites and Presidential/Executive suits.... so don't waste...
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Foreigners201
Reviewed January 8, 2012

Was expecting a lot more from a name such as "Spa Resort". The pool and restaurant area were pleasant, however, I wanted to find a nice quiet area to lay by the pool and read but there were no chairs available. The room was very disappointing. It was downstairs and very shabby. There was little hanging space, the bar fridge was so packed with junk food that I could not fit my own bottle of wine and small carton of milk. The carpet was grubby and old and there was mould in the shower. There was no bench space in the bathroom, just a tiny shelf. The bush view was a joke, just a few gum trees, not what I consider a view. It was just an average motel room. Never again.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 5, 2012

Stayed here some time ago with my partner, in the presidental spa room. This was my first time staying in a "spa resort", and expected it to be something special... Felt like pretty much every other motel I've ever been to in Australia.

The bed was comfortable, throw cushions were a touch that I appreciated (not sure my boyfriend did! Though compensated with the manly touch of a mirror above the bed..), the spa in the room was lovely, and the view of the bushland was very relaxing. Echuca Moama itself is incredibly lovely, very relaxed town with some lovely places to eat. The pool and spa area looked nice, but we never used it, it was way too cold when we visited. We also didn't attend the day spa, it wasn't something we could afford.

The amenities they give you were the generic motel kind. Beside the spa were a couple of bath bombs they would add to your bill, expensive, though, from memory one was $6. I would have thought they would promote their inhouse spa products with samples or have some next to your spa that you could buy, instead of cheap looking bath bombs. But as I mentioned before, I've never stayed at a "spa resort" so I have no idea what is par.

The bathroom was a little dated and is quite basic as well, if that is something that bothers you.

So to sum it up, the room was clean, very quiet, comfortable and very spacious. The view of the bush is fantastic, and the windows were large and plenty to enjoy that view. My stay was a positive one, although the words "spa resort" seem to promise more than they deliver. To be honest, I'm not sure I would come back to the Madison Spa Resort--we stayed here for our anniversary, hoping it to be something "special", and we only live maybe an hour and a half away. Echuca Moama itself a great town, and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone who hasn't been there before.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 29, 2011

Moama-Echuca are great location for a long weekend away from Melbourne and the Madison Spa resort was playing a major part in the success of our weekend. The Spa rooms are big, spa is just lovely next to the window where the trees are your view. Bed was very comfy, clean and tidy. We enjoyed the pool and the spa as well. The only disappointing part in the resort was the restaurant which is overpriced and over cooking the food. Enjoy the hotel but keep away from the restaurant.

Room Tip: Book the family rooms months in advance.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 4, 2011

The spa in the bath house was rank. It had a film of greasy stuff on the surface. I also think it was meant to be salt water but they might put chlorine in it because its probably cheaper for them to maintain that way as it seemed like a chlorine and salt smell. Totally disgusting after getting out we all had spots come up on our faces and bodies that lasted for several hours. We didnt realise it was from the spa until the second time we got the rashes after getting in the second time. The shower in the room obviously once had a screen but no longer, you could see where it once was but they now have it gone so water gets all over the tiles where the toilet is. Also when paying to stay somewhere you expect to be able to use the pool, bar etc but we werent allowed to because they closed it off for their own personal use. If we had of been warned we would have stayed elsewhere. The room did have a lovely gas log fire and the bed was comfy and so were the views, the spa was nice but whenn paying for a spa room its not pleasant to have the hours you are allowed to use it be dictated to you. Also pretty sure they use generic shampoo soap etc in dispensers rather than giving guests little bottles where they can see the brand used. I thought resorts had gyms too but this does not have a gym. Also a bbq would have been nice of there was one to use. And they have the worst coffee ever. We are from Melbourne where there is a sophisticated coffee culture, the stuff they passed as coffee was awful so i would recommend taking your own and a plunger and your own cutlery because there is only tea spoons in the rooms, we ordered pasta from the pizza shop one night and we had to eat it with tea spoons because they closed reception at 4pm and we forgot to ask the pizza place to include a plastic fork for us

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
3  Thank SLR81
Trishjac, Manager at Madison Spa Resort - Adults Only, responded to this reviewResponded December 13, 2011

Re Complaint Dec 5.12.11.

We at Madison Spa would like to take this opportunity to answer your concerns in your letter to trip Advisor, we feel that we can help to clear up your concerns, I will address these one at a time.

 Spa: Our Spa is chlorine not salt this is due to the fact that we are not permitted to use salt on an indoor pool due to the health regulations, these are cleaned every morning 7 days a week, we are unaware of the greasy surface you mention as we have not seen this ourselves and as I mentioned we are constantly checking and cleaning the pool & spa area.
 The Showers in rooms: These have never had shower screens on them, this is quite common in a lot of motels as I have seen for myself, as for the water splashing out this does tend to happen if the head of shower is pointed out at a certain angle, I do apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused.
 I will also apologize for the inconvenience caused on Sunday afternoon. The pool area was closed due to our Work Christmas party, this is the only time all our staff can get together as our restaurant is always closed on Sunday evenings and we do close the main building early on this day also. All guest were told prior that we would be closed, I am sorry if this was not made clearer to you.
 Shampoo etc in rooms: We do buy these from a company called Jean Charles, they are in no way a cheap brand, we also sell some of their product at the front desk such as their Emu Oil. This company does supply many Motel / Hotels throughout Australia.
 Spa Times: These signs are there for all guest information and comfort, due to our setting along the Bush Land the noise from the spa’s tends to echo and this does disturb other guest, we do try to accommodate all guest needs as well as in keeping with the tranquil setting of the bush land and wild life.
 Coffee: The coffee we use in the rooms is of good quality, we do normally use Nescafe which is a highly recognized brand, and unfortunately it may not be to everyone’s liking.
 Knives / Forks: These are not supplied as there are no cooking facilities in the room. You may request these from reception along with any other requirements you may need.

We at Madison Spa at all times would like our guest stay to be a pleasant and memorable one and always try our best to accommodate the needs of everyone. We do apologize if you feel you where treated any less than this and do hope that you will join us again at some later date. Please feel free to call us if you we can be of more assistance.

Kind Regards,

Management and Staff Madison Spa Resort.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We also booked the Spreets 2 night accommodation package and after reading other reviews on this site we didn't go there with too many expectations. We were given an upstairs room which was clean, quite modern and had a large 2 person spa in the corner looking out the window to the bushland. We didn't use the communal spa or plunge pool as we found the spa in our room more than adequate. The outdoor pool was a little too cold, so we didn't swim in that either. Our breakfast was lovely both mornings. We didn't use the $40 vouchers as these are 'to put toward' a treatment and we still would've had to pay something. (We weren't offered them at check in anyway) We didn't hear the traffic on the main road. The staff were polite and overall I'd say we had a very pleasant stay and it was a good place to base ourselves when exploring Echuca/Moama. I'm not quite sure where the supposed $800 value was, but overall it was a good experience.

Room Tip: Deluxe Spa Rooms on the first floor are a little nicer than the Scenic Spa Rooms on the ground floor...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Moama
Bridges on Meninya
Comfort Resort Echuca Moama
River Country Inn
River Country Inn
#2 of 11 in Moama

Been to Madison Spa Resort - Adults Only? Share your experiences!