“Great restaurant, Great Service” 5 of 5 bubbles

The Old George & Dragon Restaurant
Ranked #45 of 163 Restaurants in Maitland
Cuisines: Australian, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Maitland, Australia
“Great restaurant, Great Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

This restaurant has great food and customers are given personalised service. As it was a quiet night, we even had the chef come out and talk with us.

• Visited July 2012

Maitland
“Great restaurant, great food, great service, not a fan of the matching wines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is a great restaurant, warm ambience, the food is always excellent and the service is the best around our area. This was a night out with my wife, on a Friday night. We had booked through a restaurant booking site. What was surprising was the place was not booked out which it always seems to be on other visits. This was great as it seemed we had the place to ourselves. We indulged in the 7 course degustation menu. The dishes were rich with flavour and our favourites on the night were the seared scallops and the beef cheek courses. Once you have finished you don't really want to go home. This visit we had matching wines with the menu which adds $50 to the cost per person. I would recommend not to do this as the wines were probably the only downside as they didn't compliment every dish, the style of wine does but the quality doesn't. You could buy two reasonably good wines from the wine list for a similar price. The choice of wines seemed to be quite small accompanying the menu with a distinctive local selection compared to previous visits. Overall, an experience you will look forward to again.

• Visited February 2013
Newcastle, Australia
“Our favourite fine dining restaurant in the Hunter Valley!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I often visit here for a special occasion such as our wedding anniversary or when we are kid free for the night. The food and service is amazing. The perfect place for a romantic evening. The degustation menu is a must try!

Visited August 2012
Sydney, Australia
“Very pleasant dining experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

Beautiful old house located in heritage East Maitland.
Great food, I admire Chefs who can prepare a dish that looks simple but actually is full of savours and surprises.
We had the degustation menu and ALL seven dishes were great!
My only suggestion: choose your wine yourself, the matching wines are a little bit dull compared to the food.
Final touch to a great evening: extremely pleasant service! Well done.

• Visited August 2012
Newcastle, Australia
“You Must Try It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

My husband and I have been going to The Old George and Dragon for the last 6 years on our anniversary, and it never fails to impress. Even though the owners and chef have changed, it still maintains its high standards. The ambience and decor are wonderfully elegant and entice you to stay for as long as possible. The service is always top notch and the food- oh how can i describe how amazing it is? Everything I've tried has been exquisite, even the vegetables that come as a side dish to the main are wonderful. I've never been able to go past the creme brulee for dessert though- I'm sure the other desserts are of just as high a standard, but I look forward to the creme brulee all year! I can definitely recommend this restaurant, but make sire you have a few hours to properly enjoy it, as it is an experience you won't want to rush.

• Visited June 2012