“Dungeon atmosphere”

Two Fat Cheeks
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 30, 2013

In all honesty the food is let down by the decor - or lack of it. We were attracted by the name but When we first walked in we thought we had walked into a temporary cafe. Bare walls and floors and so dark I thought we were in a dungeon. I realise it is a converted shop but some time and expense should have been put into making it presentable. I know it should be about the food but I believe the ambience contributes to the experience. There was nothing wrong with the food - it was fresh, presentable and well priced but I would have liked to have shared my meal with some natural lights. Service was a bit hit or miss - perhaps it was too dark to read the orders.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

Me and a few friends went here for my birthday , we had not been before and thought being it is advertised as "gourmet deli" everything will be fresh and healthy.
I ordered a pumpkin , feta salad with salt and peper squid , which was greasy and the dressing on the salad was over oily.
Two friends had steak sandwiches which were also very greasy and the buns looked like boring old buns from woolies would have expected facaccia or turkish bread at least, we had also asked for a brushetta which when we got it was extremely soggy , not long into our main meals the lady bought over another brushetta in which we had not ordered she went away and came back with it , and said you canjust have it anyway, the man serving at the counter gave us 3 separate numbers for all our tables, one of the chefts that came out of the kitchen to give us one of the meals was very sweaty , and the wine we purchased was not chilled enough.. now i sound like a high maintenance cow. The desserts look delicious in there thought , so if I was to try it again I would only go to try a dessert.

1  Thank carlz80
Reviewed February 27, 2013

Called in for morning tea, service a little slow and seemed rather disinterested. Coffee arrived, by the time the cake arrived, coffee had been long consumed. Nice Deli set up, but the rest rather ordinary.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

My Husband and myself had a wonderful breakfast at Two Fat Cheeks when it first opened so we decided to have my birthday dinner there a few months later.
We had told our guests that breakfast was lovely but the service was a little slow but we put that down to teething problems. Our party of 18 was one of the only tables besides another table of 6 and one of 2 (mid week) We all went up to order at the counter with only one staff member on besides the cooks she had to stop and start taking orders and running food out, She also had to come back out to our table several times to confirm orders- most of our guests had chicken snitz they had to be cut with a chainsaw- the chips were takeaway soggy- sauces were forgotton and one guest had for a salad two lettus leaves and one peice of tomato.
Two guests had to send food back as it wasn't cooked the way it was prommised on the menu.
The room filled up with smoke mid way through the night making some of our guests step outside for some fresh air but or smoking guests were told to go right accross the road away from the building if they wanted to smoke ( they weren't right out the front they were 50meters away from the front doors), I was so embarressed as we had told our guests how lovely Two Fat Cheeks had been for Breakfast.
Nobody at the party has been back there and its such a shame because it was to be the breath of fresh air Maitland needed.

1  Thank Brigid1985
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I recently visited Two Fat Cheeks in Maitland with my partner and two young kids. After hearing great reviews from friends we travelled up from Lake Macquarie. We found the staff very friendly with great service. The restaurant was very spacious and clean. The kids were happy playing with the toys provided and my partner and i were able to enjoy a nice lunch together. We will definately be back again, great food & great menu. We even purchased some delicious frozen fish and other items from the retail section, such a great idea! The kids are begging to go back for choccy milkshakes which the staff serve with a lolly snake wrapped around the straw! All round a great place to go!