“Cleaning standard is horrible”

Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Maitland
Sydney, Australia
“Cleaning standard is horrible”
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We stayed one night for a local wedding. Half of the hotel is renovated, half not we had a room in the half not renovated. Room was decent sized, with double and single bed. Main complaint was cleaning it was horrible. The toilet, may have been clean but was so old the seat itself was stained and scratched, the flush button was horrid! It had that much grime on it my finger stuck to it when I pressed to flush. It looked like it hadnt been cleaned in a very long time. Spider webs above the shower and in various locations around the room. Bed was as hard as a rock, which some people may like but not to my liking when pregnant! All in all I wouldnt stay there again and wouldnt recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for the renovated side, I didnt see those rooms but they must be better than what we had.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nicole w

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Wilton NSW
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Monte Pio is being renovated , so lovely linen, fluffy towels, good beds ,TV, tea,coffee facilities and the much appreciated lift looks brand new. Painting is yet to come.
Staff are very friendly, extremely helpful (hair dryer didn't work but someone came with brand new dryer in 2 mins, apologising for inconvenience, checked that new one worked before leaving) . wiFi free , wonderful.
Rates are very reasonable and there is a lovely lounge area to relax with friends.

Room Tip: Room overlooking rural scene was very quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 16, 2012 via mobile

I stayed for 4 nights the hotel, it needs to be updated but more then that it needs to be cleaned, things were never wiped over in the bathroom & had a dripping tap, cracked tiles & curtains hanging off the rail.

• Stayed October 2012
Sydney
Reviewed August 27, 2012

We visited Maitland for a 60th Birthday Party in late July and needed overnight accommodation for a family of three as we were traveling from Sydney. The hotel room was comfortable enough, with a single bed for our nephew. It was a very cold night and we returned to our hotel room after midnight and it was disappointing to find that the air-conditioning was not working, Thankfully, we found there were extra blankets in the cupboard which kept us cosy. The shower pressure was awesome! We did not have breakfast at the hotel as we had to make a speedy getaway next morning. The hotel looks a little tired and could do with some TLC. Overall, it was acceptable at the price we paid.

Room Tip: Our room overlooked the carpark and we did not find the room too noisy.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Wahini2012
Reviewed May 5, 2012

I stayed at the Monte Pio a couple of weeks ago. I was a little hesitant after reading some of the reviews on here but decided it was cheap, I was on my own and I only needed somewhere to sleep. I was pleasantly surprised! I felt like royalty walking in to a castle. The place was beautiful. I had called ahead to say that I would be checking in late in the evening, the staff were very friendly and helpful, and it wasn't a problem if I arrived after close, they would send someone to assist. I arrived earlier than expected and was directed to my room. The room was nicer and better equipped than some of the more expensive places I've stayed at. I phoned through a room service order and it was delivered to my room within 15 minutes. Considering it was 7:30 on a Friday night and I ordered the steak, I was extremely surprised. The food was amazing, far better than any of the steak houses I've been to.
If I had to say anything slightly negative - being from the country, the traffic noise was noticeable, but quietened off after midnight. I highly recommend this place, great staff, awesome place!

• Stayed April 2012
Sydney NSW
Reviewed April 24, 2012

We paid extra for a so called Executive Room which offered more space as our adult daughter was travelling with us on a family reunion weekend. The room was the same standard as my cousin and his wife who were staying in a standard room. I am glad we had extra space as I couldn't imagine anything of a lower standard? Our bed was exactly 600mm away from our daughter who had 370mm to the wall and about the same clearance at the foot of the bed (where a rustic wardrobe generally cluttered any sense of free access). The hotel online blurb says "Executive rooms, some with balconies, sofa and desk area.Nice and spacious rooms etc" but with I guess an escape clause that balcony and king rooms are subject to availability? I raised what I considered to be a fraudulent surcharge with Reception and the response was "We consider that room to be an Executive Room" when all of the evidence suggests otherwise

Room Tip: Avoid this place if you can. Certainly avoid the Executive Room rubbish which seems to have Russian...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian A

Travelers are raving about these Maitland hotels

Brisbane
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Some previous reviews of the Monte Pio Motro Inn have commented on the need for this property to be refurbished. I stayed there for five nights in March 2012 and the much-needed refurbishment has commenced with seven rooms so far completed. I stayed in a refurbished room and the carpet, furnishings and bathroom were all modern. However, the toilet seat was loose (mentioned in a previous review) but the co-owner, Athol, told me the toilets are to be replaced as part of the refurbishment program. The toilets are of the old non-dual flush type. The room service staff forgot to replace the shampoo and tissues but otherwise the servicing was acceptable. My room was upstairs and on the New England Highway side of the building - there was some truck noise but it did not bother me unduly as I had the windows closed. If the weather had been warmer i would have used the split-system air-conditioning unit to enable the windows to be kept shut.

Contrary to some previous reviews I found the dining room service to be very good. I was staying with a large group of railway engineers and, as a result, the property was booked out on two nights. The engineering group booked out the restaurant on one night but the service was speedy and food well cooked. There was a good range of wines available. On the Saturday night I was booked with a group of about 12 people and I asked the waiter if I could have something that did not take too long to prepare as I wanted to watch the Queensland election coverage on TV. I was amazed that within 10 minutes I had a roast on the table in front of me - very speedy service and the meal was well cooked. Monte Pio's restaurant does not normally open on Sundays but the co-owner, Athol, was happy to open the restaurant for our group of around six people and provide a limited menu. Not all properties would bother to offer that servce.

No mention is made on the dinner menu of any special provision for diabetics or ceoliacs - this is something that is coming to be expected in Australia in the 21st century.

The buffet breakfast was fine - perhaps a second toaster could ease the bottleneck when the dining room is busy and fresh fruit, rather than tinned fruit, would be appreciated.

As per previous comments the carpet in the dining room and foyer needs replacing.

The property is two story and the absence of a lift would cause problems for those of limited agility. However, installation of a lift would be very expensive in an old building such as this one. There are downstairs rooms and I would recommend those of limited agility request a downstairs room if booking ahead. Some modifications would be needed to the dining room access and ground floor rooms to make the Monte Pio suitable for disabled person acess.

Our group used the conference room at the motel and the projector, microphone and other equipment all worked perfectly.

The check-in and check-out service was speedy and friendly.

No internet facilties are provided but with the advent of smart phones it is becoming debatable as to whether such facilties will be used much within the next five years or so. No wi-fi access is provided and this issue will need adressing if the property wants to attract a wider market.

There is ample car parking if front of the building and the property is a 10 minute walk to Telarah railway station which is served by suburban trains to Newcastle.

Overall, I found my stay at the Monte Pio pleasant but I did have a refurbished room. An inspection of the non-refurbished rooms indicates that they are due for a refurbishment.

Room Tip: If booking ahead ask for a ground floor room if climbing stairs with luggage is a problem. Likewise...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank OzjohnBrisbane
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maitland
Quest Maitland
Best Western Plus Hunter Gateway
Best Western Endeavour Motel
Best Western Endeavour Motel
#1 of 2 in East Maitland

Been to Monte Pio Hotel and Conference Centre? Share your experiences!