“A handy place to stay in Goulburn”

Best Western Plus Goulburn
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Goulburn
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Stayed here in October, we had a 1br apartment RM148 that was located in an acquired block of units located next door to the main hotel block.
The room had been recently refurbished, with new carpet. Rm 148 is located at the black of the block of units, so it was really nice and quiet.
There is a small sofa that folds out to a single bed, our daughter slept on it and said it was fine. The room had a new split system air conditioner that more than did the trick, as well as a great kitchenette facility with large fridge (with separate freezer on top), sink, dishwasher, oven etc, with tea/coffee facilities. It was well set up.
There is a glass enclosed shower (No dodgy shower curtain) in the bathroom, and the toilet is separate which is handy when there is more than one person staying. Car parking was available in the area that the unit was.
Friends were staying in some of the rooms in the new part of the hotel - they said they were really nice, and I checked out one of the studio rooms in the first block of the double storey places and it was really lovely - it is worth asking to be placed into a newer room when you are booking to stay there.
Check=in was efficient, quick and friendly.
The only issues we had were that there was no direct access to the main part of the hotel, that didn't involved going up to the main street area and around - they really need to put a gate in at the end of the fence where you go round the corner to that unit - that was you don't have to worry about kids going out on the road.
There is a small indoor swimming pool, but it is right in the middle of the car-park area which is a bit hazardous, and you can only sit inside the pool area to supervise kids - which given the strong chlorine smell isn't a pleasant experience! There aren't any "green" areas or bbq area that I could see to sit outside or anything either.
The hotel isn't far from the street, about 500-700m, and it is quite a flat walk so it is well placed to the shops and things.
Overall for the price we paid ($130 per night) it was a good deal for that room (even if we didn't get a full room service for the two nights we were there due to how busy it was - however they did ask if we needed a full service or just fresh towels, as we were needing to in the room at the time we just opted for the towels).

Room Tip: Asked for a recently refurbished room.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank LeeL96
PropertyManager77, Manager at Best Western Plus Goulburn, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2012

Thank you for your review.

Glad you enjoyed our new apartments & pool.

We are a large property with several street frontages. We have chosen to limit access to various accommodation sections as past experience of open access unfortunately resulted in a "short cuts" by locals with the associated noise, litter, security & privacy issues.

Our staff & guests now enjoy a more relaxed environment.

Regards,

Vicki

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Stayed here twice and on both occasions it was very pleasant. To be more specific, my review will be based on the King Loft Spa Suite rooms. Was here for a week in July 2012 when it was bitterly cold and another time in September 2012.

The rooms are very well insulated, even when it was freezing outside during winter. There is a heater downstairs, upstairs, and even in the bathroom. Did not leave the heater on the whole night as it was sweltering hot after a while. The only downside to the rooms is that the bathroom is downstairs and the bedroom is upstairs. Not a problem for me as this is the best accommodation in Goulburn that I've stayed in so far.

The breakfast at this motel is also very decent. They serve hot breakfast, fresh fruits, yoghurt, and espresso coffee. Some motels, especially in smaller towns provide instant coffee. Staff are courteous, and they often have good deals on website if you book online (double FlyBuy points and Internet Saver Rates).

As a fitness enthusiast I really like how they use a full fledged gym nearby instead of having a tiny and under-equipped one on-site. All I had to do was go to the reception to get an access card to the gym. There is a time-limit of 1.5 hours but that's plenty of time for me.

Conditions of rooms that I stayed in; I couldn't ask for more. There is a jacuzzi in the bathroom as well, hence why it's called the 'King Loft Spa Suite'.

If and when I go to Goulburn again, this is definitely the place that I will go to. Be mindful that there are two Best Western establishments in Goulburn. This one is also closer to town.

Room Tip: Ask for the king loft spa suite.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Jee_Yg
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I have stayed in the majority of the hotels in the area as I haved travelled through Goulburn regular for the last two years. When I first stayed here I compared it to a Sydney hotel, which it is not. However when I compare it to the other hotel/motels in the area this hotel is a clear winner. The hotel was clean, the staff were pleasant and it was modern enough. A lot of other hotels in the area are 70's style motels. If I could recommend any hotel in Goulburn it would be this one purely based on its modern style/decor. The restaurant isn't fantastic but there are numerous other options in the Goulburn area.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank JS5071
Reviewed September 30, 2012

My grandma always said that you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear and in this case she's definitely right. My room for one night was pokey and drab- probably the most awful bathroom I have ever used apart from boarding school and school camp. Bed was comfy and everything was clean.
To be fair my room (no 39) is in the old section, the new family units looked great. Breakky was fine- nice selection of hot and cold dishes- and service fast and efficient.
Fine for a work overnighter but would of packed up and left if I was paying for it myself.

Room Tip: Ask for a new room or book a family apartment -avoid the "economy" unit like the plague
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Mummawith2
PropertyManager77, Manager at Best Western Plus Goulburn, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2012

Dear Mw2,
Thank you for your review.
I would definately agree with your advice to opt for one of our 4.5 star units.
We only have four Economy units in our inventory of 70 and feel they are priced acordingly at $100. I guess it all comes down to company budget as to which room type is selected.
Next time you are in Goulburn, I'd love to show you some of our luxury end options or multiple bedroom apartments if you are travelling "with2".

Thanks again,
Vicki

Reviewed September 26, 2012

We stopped at best western Golburn on our way home from Queensland.
It was great value for money and the room was awesome, the kids loved that they had their room in the loft.The beds were like sleeping on a cloud.The bathrooms were awesome. Thank you quick books for making booking so easy.
Mr & Mrs Ridgeway

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed September 14, 2012

We spent the Saturday night at Best Western as we had a wedding invitation for the following Sunday.
Definitely the establishment require some upgrades and refurbishment as the room we did stay in showed the sign of wear and tear. In saying that you have to consider the price we paid for and it wasn't a 5 stars money. The staff was friendly and helpful and did their best to solve a issue we had with the heater. We didn't go to the restaurant so we can't judge that area.
We will probably overlook it if we have to stay in town again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights while visiting a loved one in hospital recently and what a fabulous choice I made! I booked a king spa suite online at a cost of $297.00 for the 2 nights. The photos on their website do not do it justice! It was GREAT! Super large room, very quiet, excellent heating, comfy bed, amazing huge pillows, fantastic spa bath, awesome shower with a shower head the size of a dinner plate! quality fittings, clean, tidy, very modern and to top it off, free wifi! They have a beautiful little restaurant but I thought I'd kick back in my luxury room and order room service which was delivered to me in no time at all. OMG the fillet steak was exquisite and cooked to perfection so I must compliment the chef! The staff were so lovely and friendly. I would highly recommend you stay here if passing through Goulburn. Would I stay here again? Yes! Yes! Yes!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo