“Do not stay here unless you are desperate!”
Review of The Astor Hotel

The Astor Hotel
Ranked #14 of 16 Hotels in Goulburn
Melbourne
“Do not stay here unless you are desperate!”
Reviewed October 8, 2012

I would not stay here ever again. Travelling from Brisbane to Melbourne and stopped here overnight. Was the only motel we could get into as we had not booked and it was school holidays. It cost $100 for 3 people.
The motel is part of a hotel and the rooms are horrible. Dark, concrete boxes and mattresses with body grooves in them! We had dinner in the hotel which I must admit was modern and lovely and the staff were great.
However I hardly slept a wink, noises from drunks at 1.30am when the hotel closed with people banging on our door and talking outside the window. No security chains on door which had me worried.
More screaming and giggling coming from upstairs at 2.00am then at 3.30am I could hear the local youths outside the bathroom window which backed onto the Woolworths carpark.
At 5.00am I gave up and packed the kids in the car and we left.
Not a family friendly hotel and I would not stay here ever again.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Apollogirl

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 4, 2012

I stayed here because I wanted cheap and that is exactly what I got.
For $80 a night I cant complain because if I had spent more, I would have got something nicer. I have stayed at the best western central motor in before for $165 a night and that was modern and lovely.
I wouldn't recommend staying here for leisure. The hotel room was old, cold, the window in the bathroom was broken, the sheets were dirty, the room looked bad. If this was in sydney I would be giving it a 2*.
The best thing about the hotel is the pub. As with any pub it is noisy on a Thursday (students night), Friday and Saturday night until the early hours, with people constantly running past the rooms.
In saying all that, compared to what you can get in Goulburn it is all dependant on whether you can put up with it for one night for $80.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank JS5071
Reviewed August 26, 2012

Drafts from everywhere, bathroom feels like a freezer, windows in bathroom that can't be closed, concrete floor radiated cold (bad for baby in cot), old building

Felt clean though, modern air con which we ran all night, good hot shower was a saving grace.

Restaurant in complex was nice - Corner Cafe across road for breakfast was superb and did alot to help us forget this hotel

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Tomasdee

Travelers are raving about these Goulburn hotels

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 16, 2012

This was the worst motel room that we have ever stayed in. Can not think of one nice thing to say about it. The door had large gaps all around it which let in the cold, the heater on the wall wasn't working & the small portable heater that was supplied didn't heat the room. The toilet/bathroom area was so badly lit that if you wanted to shower it was in the dark. We decided to leave very early in the morning & wait till we got home to shower. Stay somewhere else!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Susan-Kevin_Haigh
Reviewed August 3, 2012

My partner and myself just spent two nights at The Astor and we both left very satisfied. Not only was our motel room quite pleasant ($85 a night, who can complain with a motel room and ensuite for that!!??) but the pub connected to it was simply awesome. It is obviously the happening place in goulburn! For a small country town the place was rocking! Upstairs and downstairs on both the Thursday and Friday the place was full with a great Dining and drinking crowd. So good in fact we already booked several rooms for our next stay with family and friends on our annual migration down to the snow. My partner and I were a bit hesitant to stay in the motel due to some of the reviews here but I can honestly say this; "it's pub accommodation! Not the Hilton! And still, it is great value for money" Not only is the motel fine but it is connected to a very friendly and professionally operated pub which serves great food and beverage with a smile! A SLAM DUNK

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Sean0112
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Greeted by really friendly staff. Thought the room was great value for $70. Very clean & warm with a good bed & shower. The bistro food was really impressive for a country pub with great steaks, pizza's & lots lots more!

I think those having a whinge expect 4-5 star but do not want to pay for it.

A buzzy happening place so oldies wanting peace & quiet probably should go to a motel that is not next to a pub.

Looking forward to my next visit to Goulburn & The Astor!

Thanks for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed July 2012
Picton, Australia
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The shower was terrible for two years in a row. Starts OK then gets too hot then too cold
Do not go on a Saturday night - the heavy drinkers from the pub make too much noise at 1am, then if you are unlucky other room guests are rowdy from 3am. The motel operators appear not to take any action to reduce the noise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends