“Great reception but downhill from then.”

Comfort Inn Dubbo City
Ranked #29 of 31 Hotels in Dubbo
Reviewed June 12, 2014

We arrived at this normal looking Motel to be greeted warmly by the manager who responded to our request for a double room for one night by offering us a large room with a queen, double and single bed. This should have been A$150 but he reduced it to A$100 which sounded good to us. As we were chatting another potential guest came into the reception area and asked for a key to a room so he could inspect the standard of accommodation. What a good idea that would have been! Our room, number 8, was on the first floor which would not have been a problem at all had it not been also next to the swimming pool and overlooking the main road through a single glazed window that could easily be slid open and through which a child could easily fall. However, back in the office we requested access to the internet via the password and spent twenty minutes with the staff turning the place upside down to find the card. We were not going to our room without internet access as this was important to us as we needed to be in contact with the UK that evening. Eventually the code was unearthed and we carried our bags up to the room. It was filthy. The carpet was threadbare and needed hoovering. The cupboards were all very tatty and in urgent need of replacement with the off white laminate peeling off in a number of places. We used a dampened tissue to wipe down the bedside tables; the tissue turned black with grime indicating that the place had not been cleaned for some time. We washed and dried all cups and glasses before use as they too were grubby The bathroom was adequate but the tiling was shoddy and even the relatively new basin unit was not properly sealed to the wall. When it came time for bed, the sheets and bedding did not appear particularly fresh or well laundered. I am not saying they had not been washed but they needed replacing or at the very least, ironing. The bed itself was acceptable but no more, being well worn and too readily movable. The fact that we both spent the following day scratching our ankles may be coincidental but we cannot dismiss the possibility that we were not alone in the bed.
Regarding the WiFi we eventually managed to get some sort of signal although it was very weak and kept failing.
In the morning we were in the process of packing when a woman entered the room to make up the bed. When I suggested she refrained from doing so until we had checked out she went to the next room. However, two minutes later, as I was packing the car she yelled at me from the balcony outside the open door of our room to show me that I had left my wife's handbag in the room. This was not surprising as my wife was still n the bathroom!
This was one of six different motels in which we have stayed over the last ten days and was by far the most disappointing. We do not expect 5 star luxury at this level but, as everywhere else proved, we should have clean and well maintained accommodation. As this is part of a well known and extensive chain, some immediate attention must be given to the basics of hygiene and care.

Room Tip: Avoid those overlooking the road. Check room for cleanliness prior to accepting it. WiFi availabil...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Wakers1952

Reviewed May 5, 2014

When we first arrived at the Comfort Inn the outside did not look very appealing. When we checked in the staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. We stayed for one night in a family room which was great because it has two separate rooms which is ideal/ The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The next day we went to Dubbo Zoo which was situated close to the hotel. With new management recently taken over the hotel they have plans to renovate and upgrade the rooms etc. Great value for money!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank Katrina M
Reviewed April 23, 2014

We chose the comfort inn as it was close to the city ,the gaol and the zoo.
We had a very comfortable stay here..the room was clean and quiet even though it was on the main highway ,the hosts were very friendly and helpful.,.over all we would recommend this place to our friends.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fabrian8
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I recently stayed for two nights in this motel & would have no hesitation in staying there again.The rooms were clean,roomy & comfortable with everything you need.The bathroom was very clean & the shower one of the best I have used in a standard motel.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Heather M
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed at this property whilst visiting Dubbo Zoo and found the service very friendly, the rooms whilst quite standard they were clean and the beds were actually more comfortable than others I've experienced at 5 star hotels. Its a great location in central Dubbo for walking about with the family instead of using the car all the time. I couldnt disagree with the below comment more, its a great budget option in a fantastic location!

Room Tip: Great family rooms available
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank louise b
Reviewed April 18, 2012

Rarely have I felt the need to write a review, however this motel warrents a mention. I don't expect much from a cheap motel, but at the very least I expect cleanliness. Finding hairs in the bed, the bathroom sink and rubbish (food) in the bin makes me wonder if the rooms ever get cleaned at all. The general state of the room was dirty and the towels smelt odd.

After raising these issues with the manager, instead of an apology, his initial reaction was one of denial or insinuating that I must be wrong. Not an appropriate reaction of good customer service.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled on business
7  Thank red_rackem
Reviewed April 25, 2009

My wife and I were passing through Dubbo on route from Brisbane to Melbourne. We stayed here two nights and were quite happy with the quality and value of the Motel.

Location: The Motel is located on Cobra Street which is a pretty main street, the noise wasn't that bad, you would expect at night to have a lot of Highway noise but it was pleasant and we didn't even notice it.
Close by are plenty of food options, Dubbo City actually has some pretty cool restaurants and boutique eateries - different from what you expect of most country towns. There are also two shopping centres, the woolworths is a small drive out of town but is open till 10pm every night which is handy.

Reception: Small stuff up with paying for the room, I had already paid 1 night but they accidentally charged me for it again. No hassles, as soon as I raised the concern they fixed it on the spot. Couldn't complain. Service was good.

Room: Most motels in Australia tend to look a little tired and dated, but honestly it was comfortable and clean. Fairly stock standard room, double bed - comfortable mattress and extra pillows. 2 seater sofa-bed, small table and plenty of storage places. The room had a TV with selected FOXTEL channels. Small mini-bar, with enough room to store your own drinks etc.

Bathroom: Quite comfortable, decent sized shower. Water temperature and flow were both good. Little bit dated in colour, but very clean and no complaints.

Overall: I have stayed at this motel twice now and would stay again. Very comfortable, economical and clean.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple