“The perfect retreat” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 13 Dubbo B&B and Inns
Canberra
“The perfect retreat”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here for 1 night after spending the day at the Dubbo Zoo.
We were made very welcome by Kem and also Buddy the dog.
Our room was very comfortable and the scones (for a late afternoon tea) were delicious. We stayed in for dinner which was cooked by Kem - absolutely delicious. Only a small menu, but excellent offering. Ross was the waiter and we enjoyed chatting with him.
Buddy made his presence known and I spent half of my time there throwing the ball for Buddy to fetch. Had a great time.
This is a wonderful retreat - is difficult to find, but if you use the map that they provide, you will get there.
Highly recommended, and if we ever go back to Dubbo, we will definitely be staying there (if Kem and Ross aren't travelling around Australia in their KK).

Room Tip: If you have time for a spa, choose a room with a spa.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Cairns, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2014

Fresh from a lovely stay at another B&B, my husband and I arrived with our two year old daughter. We were bewildered by the innkeepers icy demeanor. It soon became clear she did not want a small child in her home. We are a respectable and respectful couple, attentive to our little girl. We made every attempt to avoid being troublesome, yet there was a pervasive feeling of disdain expressed towards us.
Upon leaving, my husband was informed that a child had no place in any B&B, as it was unpleasant to other guests. During our two night stay, we did not see any other guests. It is important to point out that our daughter has been traveling almost exclusively to B&Bs with us since she was three months old, the most recent stay being the previous night at another establishment. We have never experienced a complaint or even disapproval.
Aside from that, the room was comfortable and spotless, the food delicious. We had hoped our stay and the Dubbo Zoo would be the highlight of our trip. Instead, we didn't feel rested until we had departed. As long as you don't bring a child, and follow the rules (when offered a choice between scrambled or poached eggs, my husband asked for fried instead- and the answer was no), you would probably leave unaware of any issue. I have never written a negative report on Tripadvisor prior to this. I have no doubt there will be an angry response to this review, perhaps citing my girl's toast crumbs on the seat, or broken milk server which caused us to cringe. I am writing this because I think it is important for people to know, as I chose to stay here from reading the previous reviews.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
15 Thank Melissa F
Kem_63_13, Owner at Pericoe Retreat Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, April 2, 2014
Hi Melissa, not an angry response, rather a disappointed response. I have every faith in guests when they make a booking that they be factual with their information. When a guest makes a booking for 2 adults and a baby, I clearly did not expect a 2 1/2 year old child. To our business there is a big difference between a baby and a child, one being that I charge for children over 1 year old and the other is that if I have couples staying I make sure they are aware that there will be children staying at Pericoe as well. In this case as soon as I realised this was not a baby but a child, I notified the guests that had booked for the same time and they preferred to delay their stay for the next day.
In regard to bread crumbs, I am afraid that the child was obviously left to wander around whilst eating (something that a baby would not do) and unfortunately there was a whole piece of raisen toast (with butter) grounded into a fabric lounge chair in our breakfast room. We take great pride in the cleaniness of our establishment and the quality of our furniture so this was very disappointing as this showed no respect for our property.
In regard to breakfast, I think you are getting confused with rules and menus. You were not asked to follow any rules, but simply making a choice from a very extensive breakfast menu (5 different menu choices) so I do not apologise because there has to be a limit to our menu which ensures that I can provide quality food to all guests at the time they desire (remembering that this is a small B&B and guests quite often all order breakfast for the same time). I believe I tried to accommodate all your requirements, taking into consideration that you said you would be arriving just after lunch but didn't arrive until 5.10pm and then expected dinner to be served to you by 6pm (which it was). Then cleaned up breakages of glass and milk (which was pulled out of a fridge) and picked up the ripped pages out of a good coffee table book. I am sorry but I do not consider this to be attentive to your little girl, nor respectful.
Finally, upon your husband checking out he was not informed that a child had no place in any B&B. I very politely told your husband that I normally charge for children over 1 year old but in this case I had quoted a price (which did not include the extra person charge because I was told it was a baby) and would honour my quote but did say that maybe next time when staying at a B&B they state the correct age of their little girl. I also said that it probably wasn't as important about age of children when staying in a hotel or motel but it is important with B&B's as they offer a very personalised service.
Thank you for writing this response as I totally agree, it is very important that other guests are aware of this situation. Children are very welcome at Pericoe Retreat (read our other reviews from families) but I do get very offended when guests give incorrect ages for children, usually to avoid paying extra charges. This situation will always be avoided with a honest approach when guests are making their bookings with us.
Orange, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2014

The warmth of our welcome by Kem and Buddy, and later Ross, was just a window into what we we going to enjoy. We stayed with two other couples for a weekend of R&R, and got just that. In an extremely stylish home surrounded by lovingly cared for gardens, complemented by a crystal clear swimming pool and billiards room, how could one do therwise.There was also a large Sitting / TV Room complete with bar, and mini-bar facilities. Kem's love of cooking was evident in the meals offered in an indoor/outdoor dining room.
Being about half an hour from Dubbo and off the highway gives a taste of quiet rural life, with daily kangaroos down by the front gate and birdsong in the garden.
We stayed in large rooms with en suites, some with spa baths. There is also the Heritage Suite which appears to be the ultimate in rural luxury.
My gluten-free needs were met smoothly and with no restrictions evident.
This is an ideal venue for city slickers to enjoy country life at its best, and for rural people to settle back in luxurious comfort.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tonbou
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

My partner and I overnighted at Pericoe Retreat and found it delightful. The room was beautifully fitted out and the spa in the bathroom was great. Being in the country it was a peaceful night's sleep. Breakfast was really good and our hosts (Kem and Ross) were understanding when we were running a little late in our checkout. We'll definitely be staying there again when we're in the area next!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Orange, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

We were a group of 5 (2 couples and a single).
We arrived 10 minutes after Kem and Ross arrived home after their holiday and we were greeted warmly.
Our rooms were beautiful. Comfortable and spotless.
Kem made the most fantastic meals and we were able to sit and relax and talk and laugh without interrupting anyone else.
Buddy the border collie kept us amused with his friendliness and obedience.
Thoroughly recommend Pericoe to everyone.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Pericoe Retreat is a little oasis outside Dubbo. Kem and Ross are lovely hosts doing everything to ensure a wonderful stay. Kem's love of cooking is evident in the food she cooks and the way it is presented and it was lovely staying in the Heritage Suite and having the option of eating at our own personal dining table. I would have loved to pack up the breakfast room and take it home!!! Buddy the sheepdog is the third host at Pericoe keeping my husband entertained with his antics!!!! All in all we really didn't want to leave. If you enjoy photography like my husband there are many subject to shoot .... flora, fauna, the stars at night and of course Buddy!!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

My husband and 12 year old son had a great time at Pericoe. Kem was fabulous, the accommodation was great - immaculate and enough TVs to go around for everyone in the evening. Loved the food too - you can tell that Kem loves cooking. Our son wanted to take Buddy the dog home with him. This is a great place for couples and families. Definitely recommend and we will go back again should we be back that way - beats staying in a motel every day of the week.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family