“Good value for the price”

The Homestead Motel
The Homestead Motel
Ranked #30 of 30 Hotels in Dubbo
Hobart, Australia
“Good value for the price”
Reviewed December 21, 2013

The stay at the Homestead Motel in Dubbo was the half way point in our drive from Hobart in Tasmania to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland. A trip of 2500kms over three days, which included an overnight trip on the Spirit of Tasmania from Devonport to Melbourne, and driving from Melbourne to Queensland in two days. A broken windscreen and numerous stone chips on an otherwise long and often boring trip being the only highlight.

After research on Trip Advisor we settled on the Homestead as a value for money option in what was literally on overnight stay as we needed to be on the road early the next day. One tip for the uninitiated is the fact that the booking agency lists the address as Cobra St, whereas the GPS shows it as the Mitchell Hwy, one and the same thing, which did cause some anxiety until a phone call to the motel set us on the right track.

The Mitchell Hwy is the major highway running through Dubbo and as such is wall to wall motels of every size and class. Following the directions from the owner took us straight to our destination. First impressions were favourable with reception on the right and an inviting swimming pool on the left. Just the thing after a 10 hour drive.

The motel consists of the traditional courtyard of units and a double-storey block facing the street. Our unit, 102, was on the right with parking directly in front. It was the traditional old style motel room layout and as such was a bit dated, however it was obvious that steps were underway to update and refurbish the rooms. There was a flat screen TV on the wall with pay TV, free wifi, a kitchenette with microwave and aircon.
Everything was spotlessly clean, the bed was comfortable and the pillows and linen clean and comfortable as well. There is a chair and lounge and bench along the wall. Altogether everything you needed for a comfortable stay.

The main thing that impressed was the refurbished bathroom; everything that had been done was to a high spec and standard. It is quite obvious that the motel was quite old and dated, but that there was genuine effort being made to update the premises.

I can only speak for our room, but I think the Homestead is good value for what you get in a town full of motels of very star rating you could want.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TasMissy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Sydney
Reviewed July 13, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for 2 nights in a family room with our grandies and, apart from the rooms needing updating, had no complaints with this motel. They had the most efficient hot water system we have ever seen, water was piping hot almost instantaneously. Beds were very comfortable, TV met with the kids approval and the location was great, walking distance to plenty of dining options.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Dorothy D
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Have stayed at this motel several times throughout the year (last time was a few days ago). When I saw the other reviews it definitely would have deterred me from staying. However I can say that my last stay which was a couple of days ago was comfortable and the bed linen was clean (was the first thing I checked).
This motel is budget accommodation, if you are looking for something modern or a little upmarket this is not the place. The decor, furniture, etc. is all dated however during my experience has been clean. The host was friendly during each visit. This is good budget accommodation which basically meets our needs and will save you a few dollars.

Room Tip: There are a few rooms that appear to be getting renovated so try them in a few weeks. Given the othe...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank gingie71
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

convenient location, clean rooms, comfortable beds, friendly staff and eager to help when ask for directions. We booked the 2 bedroom unit its was big and spacious, The room was very modern, feels comfortable, had LCD TV in each room 32" i believe, r/c aircon in each room, free wifi, had a kitchenette facility was very convenient.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Mark W
Tamborine Mountain, Australia
Reviewed June 22, 2013

Stayed here with my partner in June 2013.
I can't really say that it had anything outstanding to put it above the rest, the room was clean and the bathroom nice, staff were pleasant.
I do think motels are pricing themselves out of the market, however this one seemed reasonable.
For a nights stopover on the way through town, I think this motel is fine.
You could do a lot worse than the Homestead.

Room Tip: Try and choose a room away from the main road to lessen traffic noise.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Stephen H
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I drove a 14hr day from Victoria and all we wanted was to have a shower and jump into bed for descent nights sleep... As soon as we arrived my partner went for a shower while I got into bed to watch some tv and wait for the shower to be free. I immediately wasn't comfortable the bed and liner did not feel very clean and fresh and I thought I could feel something crawling on me. My partner got in next to me where he felt something bite him, seconds later I felt it too! We jumped out of bed and shook out the blankets and sheets where I also found small hairs between the sheet and comforter! I packed my stuff immediately and we went and informed management. When they arrived in to the room they looked at us in complete confusion we told him what had happened and he reassured us that nothing like this has ever happened before, we requested have money back and we would be leaving he refused a refund because the bed was unmade and the shower was used we were happy enough to pay for the towel we used he kept refusing our request and continued to play stupid! He then leant over the bed and asked my partner to show him the bug that bit him!! I told him we were leaving and I was going to make a formal complaint he agreed to give us $60 out of our $95 we payed... Absolutely discussing room even worse service the men in the management are horrible people to deal with... DO NOT STAY HERE!!! We regret that we didn't see these reviews earlier :(

• Stayed May 2013
4 Thank erin_howarth

Travelers are raving about these Dubbo hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 9, 2013

We booked a two bedroom unit for Easter. The room was very dated and fairly basic but the bathroom and shower were fairly large and the water pressure was good. We were a little disturbed to find a fine white dust through the throw rug when my husband shook it out, we later discovered that this "dust" was an attempt to kill the bed bugs that infested this room. My two daughters spent the rest of the week on antihistamines and hydroquartozone cream to treat the dozens of bites they had from this place. I have never stayed in an establishment with bed bugs before and I was horrified that I put my family through this. There needs to be thorough steam cleaning of all the beds, carpets and furnishings in these rooms to kill the bugs and I can't see the owners spending the money. Pay a little more and go elsewhere. The money you save here will be spent on your medical care afterwards!!!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family