“stopover for couple of days”

Desert Sands Motor Inn
Ranked #6 of 11 Broken Hill B&B and Inns
Hervey Bay, Australia
“stopover for couple of days”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Wow after driving for 2 days we decided to have a stopover in Broken Hill what a little gem this place is. Staff are wonderful we had huge room felt like home nice and quiet. Meals that we delivered to our room were georgous. I had the best steak I had had for a while really really impressed. Loved all of Broken Hill and can highly recommend this accomodation.

Room Tip: we paid a little extra and got the family room beds were comfy thats the one thing when your on the...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank activind

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Finnish first
Reviewed September 17, 2013 via mobile

This place completely discredits the star rating system. I may have gotten the worst room in the complex but you've gotta call 'em as you see 'um- it does not merit 3 stars, let alone 4. The management simply aren't trying very hard.

Upon arrival found the reception not just unmanned but closed. Sign instructed me to go to the bar at the pub to which the motel is attached. Was duly handed a key and eventually found my room. Parking very tight. Open the door and...I've stayed in some rough back country digs and this is not much better. The difference is this is Broken Hill, a town of 20-odd thousand with a big tourist trade, not some take it or leave it one-motel town 200 kms from anywhere.

Very basic room- a double and single bed, no decent chair to sit in, not much room. An old microwave sat on the bench running along one wall, ditto the TV which was good (Samsung) but no Austar- and this is "4 Star"? I happen to enjoy my Sky News and this pissed me off more than anything else. Alright, plug in the laptop and phone charger, where's a power point? In the cupboard of course, just pass the lead through the hole drilled in the chipboard and plug into the one available power outlet. Lighting was predictably dim (not on their own there).

The bathroom's best years are long gone. Brown floor tiles and purple shower curtains are rarely seen in the smarter circles these days, ditto the giant plastic toilet paper dispenser as seen in pubs and airports. The seventies theme was rounded off by the laminex vanity unit below a grubby window. Water pressure and temp. were good but with the general air of carelessness about the place I shuddered to think when those brown tiles were last properly cleaned.

Made my way stoically to the "restaurant" which is really just a pub lounge. Standard pub menu, got a beer which went flat almost immediately and ordered. Not long after I ordered a tour group turned up and my heart sank. After about an hour and having read a newspaper cover to cover I enquired as to when I might expect my meal? Oh dear, one of the cooks is off sick and we are very busy, what with a bus arriving, etc. I made no mention of the fact I had ordered BEFORE the busload of Dubbo's finest senior citizens had arrived and was slightly underwhelmed by the offer of a free Herb Bread (one slice only). OK, ordered another flat beer and was given this free too! Meanwhile the bus crowd had enthusiastically demolished their entrees and were wiping the main-meal gravy from their chins. I guess that's purchasing power. Eventually the tucker turned up and very nice is was too. You tend not to be too critical when your starving.

Up next morning after a troubled night listening to a tin gate near my room bang all night in the wind. Draw the curtains to face the security shutter which I hadn't noticed last evening. The winding mechanism to raise it was busted so a yank on the cable by hand successfully got it up. Didn't bother with breakfast as I thought this was just asking for trouble.

Against all expectations the reception was open for check out. A little bit of trouble finding me in the computer because I "was the one that arrived late"- ie, 6.00pm the previous evening. Sorry about that.

The staff are pleasant enough but hopelessly amateur. Like I said, they may have better rooms, but I'll never know.

Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank EllvisPresley

Travelers are raving about these Broken Hill hotels

Orange
Reviewed September 16, 2013

Sure, it aint the Sheriton Wentworth Hotel, but as far as country motels go, this is not the worst Motel I have stayed in by a long shot. It was clean with a comfortable bed, a TV that worked and a bar fridge with tea/coffee making facilities. I hads no problem with this motel at all, in fact, if I were to rate this motel on the shower, I'd have to give it 5 stars! Strong, powerful and hot. Delicious shower. Close to town and around the corner from supermarket.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We recently stayed at this property with a tour group from WA. We were very happy with the property. Rooms were clean and refurbished, smallish bathrooms but very clean. Staff were terrific and food in the restaurant was terrific. We would bring groups to this property again and all of the 20 people we had with us were very happy with the stay.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Riddells Creek
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Don't be fooled by photography, this is a grubby little motel complex, not all the rooms have a verandah so we had people sitting outside our room smoking. The shower head leaked a spray of cold water over the top, while I waited an eternity for the water to heat up. The toilet roll holder was falling off the wall. The place would be OK if they didn't call it 4 star & charged about 25% less.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Stayed here on a trip back to Adelaide. Room was quite small, bathroom tiny. However, this can be overlooked if staying only one night and due to the fact that everything in the room was spotlessly clean. The shower is possibly the best I have ever experienced!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My wife and I stayed at this motel late May 2013. Reception was good, BUT, the room was a shocker. We asked for a twin and were given a room with a double bed and a single. Just as well we had no cat - there was certainly not enough room to swing one. Less than a meter between the beds and even less than that from the beds to the wall. About the same at the foot. And, the bathroom. Tiny, tiny, tiny. The whole place needs an urgent renovate. The tariff of $130.00 was so far over the top for this budget room. The adjoining hotel served a great bistro 'special's' meal but the breakfast in the adjoining dining room was in keeping with the standard set by the motel. When will people, especially remote or country motels, realize that, although it may appear they have a captive market - the truth is the opposite.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business