“Amazing”
Review of Abercrombie Caves

Abercrombie Caves
Ranked #7 of 39 things to do in Bathurst
Reviewed March 18, 2013

An easy drive from Bathurst on a sealed road and wonderful to see,it is just beautiful country around the caves and the one we saw was amazing. I suggest though, if you have any difficulties walking ,to still purchase your token ,but enter at the Exit of the MIners Cave ,as you can get quite a way in from there and see the main area like the Miner's Stage, as although it says on the brochures- it is an easy walk,- it is quite low and narrow in spots and difficult if incapacitated in any way.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

Informative guide at the bottom made the drive worth while. Not a road for the feint hearted. Beautiful grouds add to the enjoyment

Reviewed January 12, 2013

My family has been going to Abercrombie Caves for the past 35 years. I've been every year since I was born. We go in April, when the autumn foliage is at it's prime. The rangers at the park are wonderful and have always treated us like family. We've seen many changes over the years, and they've all great improvements-the cottage up on the hill is a great little getaway, and the cabins down near the river are fantastic too. Plenty of great camping spots to pitch your tent. The caves may not be as big as Jenolan, but the history is just amazing and there are still plenty of amazing formations. The rangers are rich in knowledge and give excellent guided tours. You can talk a tour of the Archway yourself. Try the bushranger caves where a camp of bushrangers hid out on the run from the law. You get into the depths of the cave and the ranger will turn off all the lights so you can experience true darkness. It's pretty frightening how dark it is! You can't even see your hand in front of your face! The archway is simply stunning. Heaps of great walks. It's a very special place to me, and I hold many fond memories of the place. Plenty of goldpanning opportunites too. In fact in 2009 my brother and I goldpanned in Abercrombie River after a flood and found quite a bit of gold-only specks but still its exciting! Nothing better than putting that speck of gold in your gold bottle! Several years ago we came across an old man and his wife panning in a river about 20 minutes drive away from the caves. He had a gold nugget around his neck the size of a golf ball. Got it at Abercrombie River he said. Keeps me motivated to goldpan every time we go. Trunkey Creek is a neighbour town with a population of less than a hundred from memory. It has a nice little pub where the locals frequent. It's country at it's best. I get scoffed at every year when I ask for a chandy. This is a great place to bring your family-and it seems to be a well kept secret as it's never crowded.

3  Thank DrKazzawazza
Reviewed December 6, 2012

Lovely spot - well worth the drive. Good roads leading there.
Our family of four did the self guided tour and enjoyed it. You can do it at your own pace and we went during the week and had the cave to ourselves. Not a big area underground but it is beautiful and would suit someone who normally may find caves claustrophobic. Allow about an hour or so or if you have it to yourself, a bit longer.

Nice little gift shop with basics and friendly staff. Did not camp there but looks a great spot!

1  Thank Attilla64
Reviewed September 12, 2012

We have stayed at Abercrombie Caves many times over the years and watched the improvements over that time. Our first visit was camping in mid winter over twenty years ago, quite an experience! The addition of cabins and the availability of the house up the hill have made this a great spot for groups or large family get togethers.
Do go in winter, somehow the caves and whole experience is better when it's cold, and it does get cold! Stop and have a drink by the fire at the Black Stump Pub in Trunkey Creek on the way in, it has good beer and a great atmosphere.

1  Thank TimberBlueMountains