“Not great”

Sweet Assiette Restaurant
Cuisines: Australian
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Fine dining restaurant. Our menu changes regularly. Available for group bookings, and that special function, or a romantic evening for two.
Sydney
“Not great”
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

I went to Sweet Assiette last night for my birthday celebrations with my parents, brother and husband.
To start with I thought the prices were quite high but figured it was a fine dining restaurant at those rates. I chose the chicken and turkey roll for main. When it arrived I was surprised to note the vegetable ribbons included raw leeks, my potato mash and corn purée were stone cold (not even lukewarm), and the dishes were very small. For $34 I expected a bigger portion size and higher quality accompaniments and for it to be hot through. I can't think of anyone who would enjoy raw leek or cold mash, but maybe I'm
missing something.
For dessert we all had the Sweet Assiette which is three small desserts on a plate, their signature dish.
I'm gluten free and I stipulated this to the kitchen on booking last week and again when ordering at the table. To their credit the plate I got was very similar to what everyone else had and it was lovely if not a bit rich! I was a bit disappointed to note that the crumble had oats in it, after I had already eaten some. Oats aren't gluten free so I was surprised it was served to me on a gluten free dish.
After leaving the restaurant I felt quite uncomfortable in the stomach and went to bed only to be awoken at 2.30am with severe stomach cramps, vomiting and diarrhoea.
I can only guess my main dish was the culprit as I think the chicken was reheated-it was slow cooked, and I doubt there's time to cook that from scratch to order.
My brother had the ravioli which was like a few pieces of pasta in a butter and cream soup. He also had a very upset tummy the following morning.
Anyway all in all the restaurant space was ok and the staff were very nice but the food and prices let this place down. They're trying to be fine dining but the quality is just not there.

1 Thank mimee_25

New South Wales, Australia
“A very pleasant experience”
Reviewed July 19, 2014

Dined here when travelling through Bathurst. It was early in the week and a quiet night in the restaurant, so noise from the highway (just beyond the front wall and my table) was occasionally intrusive. I can imagine that on busier nights the general hubbub of contented diners would more than negate any drone from the traffic.
Otherwise, the restaurant itself was fine, with tables reasonably spaced and comfortable seating. I had the bruschetta with sourdough, followed by ravioli. All excellent. I'll happily come back when next in Bathurst.

• Visited July 2014
Bathurst, Australia
“Great food, nice ambience”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

My wife and I dined here recently to celebrate our wedding anniversary. When I rang to make the booking and suggested a time of 6.30 pm, the receptionist suggested that 7.00 pm would be better - not sure why, but I was happy to comply. We were a bit puzzled to find the restaurant almost empty when we arrived, but soon began to enjoy the quiet, unhurried ambience of the room. Service was friendly, and efficient, without being invasive, and the menu was explained well.
The food was delicious, with a good variety on the menu, and quite generous serves. My wife's eyes might have been a bit bigger than her stomach, as she ordered the sirloin, and was unable to finish it. The sweet plate to finish was more than enough for two people. All in all, a very enjoyable dining experience, which we would recommend to locals and visitors alike.

• Visited June 2014
Orange, Australia
“Lives up to memories.”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Returning to Bathurst overnight I could not resist the Sweet Assiette.
I met with an old school friend whom I hadn't seen for 50 years, so our minds were not so much on eating.
However the Tuscan pork scotch with warm fig and marsala sauce was an amazing, melt-in-your-mouth meal.

I am planning to take my wife to Bathurst, to stay overnight, and to enjoy the Sweet Assiette with me. I would like to do it for her birthday, but most places are closed on New Year's Day!

• Visited June 2014
Bathurst,,Australia
“Really great food”
Reviewed May 26, 2014

A recent seven course degustation meal here was a revelation. Had heard some very positive comments but this meal was excellent. From the specially crafted dips at the start through to the pulled beef cheeks main and the dessert plate every dish was a taste sensation. Immaculate service to make for a great evening.

Visited May 2014