“Surprisingly good!”

Australian Fossil and Mineral Museum
Ranked #2 of 23 things to do in Bathurst
More attraction details
Owner description: Situated in the heart of Bathurst, the Australian Fossil and Mineral Museum is the home of the internationally renowned Somerville Collection. The Somerville Collection is the lifetime work of Warren Somerville and highlights of this remarkable collection include a T.rex skeleton, dinosaur eggs, fossils from most stages of life on Earth as well as spectacular examples of minerals from around the world. It is housed in the 1876 Public School building which underwent major refurbishment before being fitted out with stunningly beautiful exhibitions.
Reviewed July 8, 2017

I went here for the sake of my husband. I truly thought I was going to be bored. I was so very very wrong. I truly enjoyed walking around looking at the minerals and reading where they were from. I also liked that the collector had written how he obtained some of the minerals. Then we walked into the fossil section and I was amazed! Everything captivated me and I learnt so much. I even discovered there were fossils discovered where I live! No matter what your age I'm sure this place wouldn't disappoint. I even managed to buy some souvenirs at very reasonable prices.

All reviews
"entry fee"
"take your time"
"great place to visit"

Reviewed July 7, 2017

On our recent trip to Bathurst we visited this museum, the publicity for this collection was well advertised. It was a little expensive for out family. Would have liked more interactive displays for young children. The tokentistc dinosaur was a hit.

Reviewed June 27, 2017 via mobile

Such an enjoyable place to go! Many interesting exhibits and not too busy! I would definitely go again :)

Reviewed June 24, 2017

You can't find much good to do for less than $15 an adult these days so when I get the chance to see a full size t-rex skeleton, a raptor head and a petrified mud crab for $14, I pretty much say, 'shut up and take my money!'

Economics aside though this museum is a major highlight not just for Bathurst but Australia. It is well presented and in such a way that you appreciate how the minerals contribute to our lives beyond looking pretty. The fossils were amazing and the elevated mezzanine means you can take an awesome selfie with a t-rex!