“Lovely hotel but scoopon terms not honoured” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Rydges Mount Panorama Bathurst
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Bathurst
Sydney, Australia
“Lovely hotel but scoopon terms not honoured”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife purchased a scoopon for our wedding anniversary. The package included 2 nights accom in a spa room, 2 hot chocolates on arrival, $100 in hotel credit and breakfast both mornings. Good value at $299 when we paid full price last visit. The only problem was not all those terms were honoured.

The hotel itself is lovely and well equipped. As mentioned in our previous review, the spa rooms are spacious, clean and come with great views.

Our scoopon as advertised on the internet cleared stated "sip on hot chocolates on arrival and wake up to breakfast for two every morning". One would assume we would be offered hot chocolates from the Chicane Bar on arrival but apparently we had to make the hot chocolates ourselves with ingredients already in the room. Disappointing and misleading advertising. The receptionist also said breakfast was only free for the first morning when it was supposed to be for both. When we got to the room, there were two squares of chocolate (labelled "the real hot chocolate") on the kitchen bench with instruction to heat milk and drop the chocolate in. The only milk in the fridge was long life 150ml, not enough for two. Later on I called asking for 500ml of real milk which was an issue and we did not end up having the hot chocolates as we never got given the milk.

Buffet breakfast was average. Supplies had not been replenished (no baked beans, white bread, croissants or pastries and there was no lid on the hash browns so they were cold). On the other hand we ordered room service both nights which was delicious, especially the battered fish. Bar and room service staff were friendly, much friendlier than front desk staff.

We went into town for breakfast the second morning as we were told we would be charged for breakfast at rydges and I didn't want another argument with rude staff or have to chase a refund from management when we were celebrating our wedding anniversary.

Overall lovely hotel but some staff need some serious customer service training. I will be raising the issues mentioned above with scoopon.

• Stayed June 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Andrew M, General Manager at Rydges Mount Panorama Bathurst, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Hi ets610 and thank you for taking the time and let us know about your stay. It was disappointing to hear that your stay was not up to expectation, particularly since you reviewed us well last time you stayed.

Our feedback from scoopon clients has been great previously and it is very disappointing to hear that perhaps the inclusions in your stay were not explained properly at check in. To reassure you, you were entitled to two breakfasts each day of your stay, this has always been the case with all our scoopon vouchers.

Please contact me so I can welcome you back to the hotel and ensure you receive the breakfast you did not take up.

Andrew McKenna
andrew_mckenna@rydges.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2013

Stayed here for two days ...I could not find a fault ..everything just perfect...staff pleasant and helpful....food amazing ....room service excellent ....I highly recommend this place ....only problem I had is that we could not stay longer....congratulations Rydges you got it right

Room Tip: We were on the 6th floor ....view was great.....just perfect ....I would prefer the top floors ...gr...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Andrew M, General Manager at Rydges Mount Panorama Bathurst, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Hi Judith-68 and thank you for your great review! Thank you for all your kind comments, it was great to read that you enjoyed your entire experience.

Newcastle, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel is in a great location, with all rooms offering views of the track and up the famous mountain, especially on the higher levels. I got upgraded to a suite, which was a HUGE room. The sleep was the great, and very quiet. The shower head was awful, seriously the worst I've ever seen. I had my first bath in probably 5 years as a result!

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Justin_and_Sylvia, and thank you for your review. I'm sorry the shower wasn't up to standard, this shouldn't be the case and can be fixed. We have identified the room you were in during your stay to ensure that this is not the case moving forward.

New South Wales, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

Having stayed in a few other 'establishments' in Bathurst I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the Rydges at Mount Panorama. I had a room on level 3 which meant I could walk out through the glass sliding doors for a ground-level view over Conrod Straight. I gather these rooms would be coveted during race meets. The rooms are tastefully decorated with a motor racing theme but thankfully it's not overdone. I found the room to be spacious, the bed very comfortable and the bathroom clean and functional. A small kitchenette would also be handy if guests were keen to cook for themselves but I decided to take advantage of the breakfast offered at the Chicane restaurant. This consisted of a good selection of cooked and continental buffet options, and the espresso was very nice indeed. I would definitely stay here again if travelling to Bathurst. A small note is that while the hotel is very handy to Mount Panorama a car is needed to get into town. However, the restaurant on-site is highly recommended.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank CoffsFamily
Andrew M, General Manager at Rydges Mount Panorama Bathurst, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Hi CoffsFamily and thank you for the great review. I'm glad we could surprise you and deliver a great stay, we work hard to deliver a regional experience with all the comforts of a city hotel. Great to read also that you enjoyed Chicane for breakfast and coffee.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Stayed in a deluxe studio room for 2 nights last weekend. It was certainly very nice to smell the country fresh air rather than the smog of Sydney. The view over the racetrack was simply magnificent.

Check in was smooth. I wouldn't expect anything less from Rydges, having stayed at many of their hotels in Australia.

I was given a room on the top floor as I had requested. The room was massive and looked new. I was able to cook up a storm on the first night!!!! One major complaint I had was the stinky bathroom. There must have been something wrong with the sewerage system. Everytime I flush the toilet, there would be a rotten egg smell. It was so bad that I had to close the toilet door to isolate the smell. I raised this with the staff at check out. Hopefully this problem is rectified.

I had dinner at the Chicane Bar and Grill on night 2 of my stay. All the food was nicely presented. I particularly liked the entree of pork belly. So yummy!!! The rib eye was a bit on the tough side, even though I requested it be cooked rare. The servings were of a decent size and I just managed to squeeze in a dessert, which was the sampler for 2.

Breakfast was included in my package, but it wasn't as good as what I had expected from Rydges. There were not many choices available, but quite tasty.

All in all, a very enjoyable stay and I would not hesitate staying at this hotel the next time I'm in Bathurst.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi ng_ryan and thank you for your great review. Our deluxe rooms on the top floor do give a great outlook over the track and great that you could make use of the kitchenette. I have identified your room from a comment at check out and I am happy to report we have fixed the issue (replaced the toilet...).

Thank you for your feedback regarding the restaurant, while it was great you enjoyed your experience, I wish everything had been up to expectation. We take the feedback on board to ensure we get it better next time.

Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Stayed in a 3 bedroom apartment which was huge - we have 3 children so this hotel, unfortunately like many, would not accommodate us in a 2 bedroom which would have been suffice and cheaper. But the room was very clean with 2 lovely bathrooms and spa bath. Hotel restaurant was good too with friendly staff and nice food.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Hi Catherine S and thank you for the great review. I'm glad you and your family enjoyed the 3 bedroom apartment; they are special rooms which make for a great family stay. We currently don't have any 2 bedroom apartments, however are hoping to have some come online towards the end of this year so maybe by your next trip?

Maitland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2013

I stayed in a deluxe studio room for three nights. It is a great sized room and very comfortable.There was a king size bed, lounge, spa bath, kitchenette (oven, stove top, dishwasher) and a second toilet. It has it's own balcony overlooking the famous track. I found the service excellent and whilst I didn't spend a lot of time at the hotel is was definitely a good nights sleep. I took a walk around the track one morning with the many others that indulge, it takes about an hour. There is a small gym on site as well. I didn't eat at the hotel but did pick up some food to cook in the kitchenette and that works well. It isn't close to town but is only a $10-15 taxi ride. Overall a top quality place to stay.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view of Mount Panorama. Level 5 and above have individual balconies.
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Hi Brendan S, thank you for your great review. Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay, and managed to get a walking lap around the track, an hour is a good time!