“Clean and comfortable”

Ranked #11 of 22 Hotels in Armidale
Cary, North Carolina
“Clean and comfortable”
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Comfortable beds , Plenty of blankets , good service. also has free WIFI . Restaurant is attached - but didn't eat there. Parking is at your door, Fair walking distance to CBD . Good place to stay
in Armidale .

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
John W, Owner at BEST WESTERN Cotswold Gardens, responded to this review, July 28, 2014
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at our property.

Kind Regards
John

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Friendly warm service nothing was too much trouble, the rooms were a little dated but very clean and comfortable,nice large towels ! The restaurant decor could use an update but the food excellent. Liz N

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
John W, Manager at BEST WESTERN Cotswold Gardens, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Thanks for your feedback, Liz. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team here at Best Western Cotswold Gardens look forward to welcoming you upon your next visit to Armidale.
Reviewed April 12, 2014

I returned home tonight after staying at Best Western Cotswald Gardens for my uni intensive week, postgraduate studies. John was very friendly and accommodating over the phone. I arrived late Sunday night, after informing John I would do so. The bed was comfortable but the walls were paper thin. I could hear loud moaning and had to turn on the television to cover the noise so I could sleep. It was a cold night so I used the heater, which I found to make a loud humming sound. This was probably due to the fact that it was very old and outdated. Despite this I was grateful to have been allocated a room to stay in during the busy intensive school week.
In the morning, just before I left to leave for uni I accidently knocked a bottle of dark purple nail polish out of my toiletries bag which spilled over the white tiled floor. In a hurry to get to uni, I left it with the intention of phoning the owners of the motel to advise them what happened and arrange to leave on my hour lunch break and clean it up. Immersed in the intensive, I forgot all about it. I arrived back at the motel to notice the tiles were clean and no damage was done. I did not receive a phone call from the motel and no note was left behind so I believed the motel cleaners had cleaned it up and there was no issue.
It wasn't until Tuesday night I visited the office to collect the room key, which I left with a fellow student, that John snapped at me for the mess I had made and that I would be liable to pay for the damages. I apologised to John, explaining to him that it was an honest mistake, an accident and I did intend to call him etc and John continued to blame me for the damage, going on to say that I would have walked the mess all through the carpets and that I had no intention of cleaning it up. I told him that I was sorry and that even the cleaners would see that I am a neat, tidy, respectable person who happened to make an honest mistake and that I had every intention of cleaning the mess that day. I asked him why didn't he at least call me to give me the option of coming back to clean it up or opting to have the motel cleaners clean it up at a cost. I was not given this option. John then said ok to me, giving me the impression that all was resolved. I then purchased washing powder $3 and exchanged a 5 dollar note for coins to use the washing machine. I then followed instructions, inserted the coins and waited for the machine to work and I couldn't get it to work. I then reluctantly, yet politely, asked John to please help me get the washing machine to start. He inserted his own money and it worked. He sighed and rolled his eyes at me stating "funny it's working now hey" I told him I had inserted three dollars and it didn't work for me. He replied "yeah yeah" as though I was lying and he didn't believe me. This made me feel very uncomfortable staying there. I didn't use the machine again after that.
The following nights I witnessed people smoking in their rooms (yuck!) A man in the room next to mine, on the right hand side and a blonde haired woman. I had to leave the tv on all night to mask the sounds of banging and the loud heater. This wasn't too bad.
When I left to check out Saturday morning John was very polite ,making small talk with me about my uni experience. I then checked the bill and noticed extra charges I did not agree to. Firstly a breakfast charge of $22. I told John I never ate breakfast here, I brought my own fruit. John replied "yes you did, you ate here the first morning". I had to tell him three times that I swear I never ate your breakfast to which he then looked at his computer and said "oh ok sorry about that I'll remove the charge". I then noticed he had written 'cost for nail polish removal on white tiles' $40. I then argued with John for over an hour as I had not been given the choice of coming back to clean it myself. John's wife stated to me "when you checked into this motel you signed paperwork stating that any damages incurred would be charged at an additional cost". I replied "ok show me the signed paperwork and I will gladly pay the $40". She replied "I can't do that I don't handle the paperwork" and agreed to get her husband John to do this. When I asked John to show me the paperwork John ummed and ahhed, adding "I can't show you that paperwork," I then said to John "why not?" he replied "because you never signed any paperwork, you checked in late." I then stated to John that he was therefore illegally charging me as there was no paperwork and again I had not been given the opportunity of choice. John went on to say he would call the police on me, despite the fact I was not aggressive or abusive and was disputing the fact that this man had tried to charge me for costs I had not agreed to.
That afternoon I phoned again and agreed to pay the $40 via my credit card, requesting a separate receipt. I had previously explained to him that this was charged to my work and I did not want the nail polish as part of that invoice. John agreed to do this for me and email me both receipts within 5 minutes. I waited half an hour and nothing. I phoned again and the same thing happened. I then had to go to the police station and they phoned him. John had told me he and his wife had visited the police station that day. The police had no recollection of this. John told the policeman that he sent me both receipts to my email. I continued to receive emails but nothing came through. Still nothing.
I would not recommend this motel. Nice as pie on the phone to reel people in but then arrogant and accusational in person. I previously stayed in another motel in Armidale the Hideaway Motor Inn. It was lovely and new, well priced, quiet and had a microwave so I could heat up my own breakfast, as opposed to being charged $22 for a breakfast I never had. I guess they do this so you will feel compelled to eat their food.
Oh well we live and we learn and I can only hope John learns to be more considerate of the people who pay to stay at his motel.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Belinda K
John W, Manager at BEST WESTERN Cotswold Gardens, responded to this review, April 29, 2014
Thank you for your feedback, Belinda.

We apologise that you heard ‘loud, moaning noises’ while staying with us at Best Western Cotswold Gardens. The only evening that you had guests sleeping in either room beside you was Tuesday 8th and Friday 11th, so management is unsure of what the noise could have been Sunday, Monday, Wednesday and Thursday evening. We haven’t had complaints about noise traveling between rooms in the past; guests have only voiced how quiet and undisturbed they found their stay. The walls dividing all of the rooms at our establishment are recognised as ‘double dresser block’ (preventing all noise to travel between rooms). However, I apologise once again
that you heard ‘loud, moaning noises’ that disturbed your sleep.

Each of our rooms is equipped with a 2 year old Reverse Cycle Air Conditioning Unit – I apologise that you feel this is ‘very old and outdated’.
The room you were allocated is usually charged at a rate of $165.00 per night; whereby we offered you a heavily discounted rate of $125.00 per night. The team at Best Western Cotswold Gardens appreciates that you were ‘grateful’ to find accommodation during this peak time in Armidale at such a discounted rate.
(Everywhere in town was heavily booked due to the University of New England’s intensive schools and the Rugby Weekend in town 11th-12th of the month).
You claim ‘John was very friendly and accommodating over the phone’ in relation to your plans to arrive late on Sunday evening; however, you failed to comply with his terms. If a guest arrives late it is their responsibility to check-in at reception the following day to fill out relevant paperwork regarding their stay; John clearly informed you of these terms over the phone upon making your reservation. You did not make an appearance in reception until the third day of your stay. On Monday morning a cleaner discovered that a bottle of nail polish was spilt throughout the bathroom of your room. Out of courtesy, you should have phoned reception or let us know on your way to your intensive school that you had made a mess and intended to clean it up at a later date. If this had been the case, no charges would have been made.

We understand that smashing your nail polish was not your intention; we have never accused you of this. Management understands that it was an ‘honest mistake’, however, it was not our responsibility to ‘call you’ and give you the ‘option of coming back to clean it up’. (We did not want to interrupt your residential school). You are a guest; a ‘reasonable person’ owes a duty to behave as a reasonable person would under the same or similar circumstances, regardless of your initial negligence (not coming into the office the following day to sign relevant paperwork).

You did not meet the standard of behaviour expected of a ‘reasonable’ guest. You should have informed an employee at our establishment of your accident before you left for your intensive school or attempted to clean it up yourself. You did neither of these things, and it wasn’t until management questioned the spill that you even acknowledged there had been an accident. There was glass found shattered throughout the bathroom posing as a hazard and the head house cleaner spent two hours of her time cleaning the nail polish which had since dried in the grout of the tiles, on the shower screen and over the vanity. The intention of informing a staff member does not excuse that you only acknowledged the mess you had created when John questioned you about it. You were charged an additional service fee of $40 which could have been avoided if you weren’t negligent and actually made an effort to clean the mess you had created or informed an employee of the mess that evening or the following day.

We could not leave the mess until it was convenient for you to tidy it up as this would have caused further damage. If this was your intention you should have informed management of this at an earlier date; not have waited until you were questioned about it.

Management apologised that you struggled to operate our laundry facilities. John does not recall remarking ‘funny it’s working now, hey?’ as this is both unprofessional and rude; neither qualities that John possesses.

Smoking is not tolerated in any of our rooms. A house cleaner visits each room daily to note down whether there has been any damages to the room. There had been no smoking complaints; only the nail polish accident in the bathroom of Room 11.

Management apologises that you were wrongly charged for a breakfast. As you have noted, John apologised for this and removed the charge. This was not charged intentionally; merely an ‘honest mistake’ as you described your own actions.

The police were involved because of your reckless behaviour in response to the additional charges which you were responsible for.
Buderim, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2014

This is a great spot for a stop over when travelling through the area. Restaurant has been consistently excellent, having stopped here a couple of times. Rooms are adequate with refurbished bathrooms but rooms could do with a paint lift. However whose looking when you are asleep! Very helpful owners and staff.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kath C
Hi Kath. Thanks for your feedback. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay and meals at our onsite restaurant. The team here at Best Western Cotswold Gardens look forward to welcoming you upon your next visit to Armidale.
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

A big thank you to John and his staff for making me feel at home. I'm already looking forward to the next visit. My dinner selection with your assistance was top class. Thank you. Compliments to the chef.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Kevin T
Thanks Kevin for your great feedback regarding your stay at Best Western Cotswold Gardens Armidale.
We have passed on all your kind remarks to all our staff.
We all hope to see you back at Cotswold Gardens soon.
Kind Reheard
Port Macquarie, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

It was a weekend break in Armidale. We found the most helpful and cheerful staff we've met for a long time. The two young ladies who were running the hotel in the absence of the manager were delightful people whose concern was to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. One of them went in search of gluten-free bread for Herself at 11.45 pm when she came off shift; have you found that sort of dedication to customer satisfaction elsewhere?
The room was adequate, the food excellent, the experience one to savour. I hope that the manager rewards his people well - they deserve it!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
 Thank you for your feedback. We’re pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. The team here at Best Western Cotswold Gardens look forward to welcoming you upon your next visit to Armidale.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
Reviewed February 4, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on a Sunday night. Everything was spotlessly clean, the water was immediately hot, and the bed was very comfortable. Nothing to complain about at all!
The continental breakfast was extremely generous, and reasonably priced. We paid $115.00 for the room, and were very satisfied. Would recommend.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple