“Armidale old world charm with great restaurant”

Best Western Cotswold Gardens
Ranked #10 of 23 Hotels in Armidale
Reviewed June 25, 2012

Denise & John (new owners) have done a great job with this motel.
I stay in Armidale for business 1-2 times a year.
Previously I stayed accross the road but due to the recent excellent T/A reviews I gave Cotswold Gardens a go.
As mentioned in prior reviews, the rooms have been re-freshened and are very neat & tidy, new carpet, paint, tiling etc. Not 5 star but very comfortable for the price.
I dined in house at the "Manor" restaurant. A good selection of fare at very reasonable prices.
The Scotch fillet steak was beautiful and perfectly cooked med-rare.
Better than many Brisbane / Gold Coast offerings at $ 29! (check my Absynthe review!!!)
I noticed other diners around me were also very happy with the value for money of meals selected. All of generous portion size and well prepared by the chef. She was getting plenty of positive feedback on this particular evening!
Manor has a really nice ambience with fireplace & Piano.
John & Denise are very welcoming hosts and surely more enjoyable than establishment over the rd. I believe that patrons of the competition opposite walk over the road to enjoy a nicer meal at Manor.
Cotswold Gardens is in an area that is away from the main thoroughfare traffic / town centre so is quite peaceful.
I will definately be back next time, in spring / summer when it wont be -5 to -9 overnight!
Good luck to you Denise & John... see you next time.

Room Tip: Room 5 was opposite Reception / resaurant. No issues.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Reviewed June 20, 2012

My partner and I stayed here in June for a conference in Armidale, Our stay was one of the worst experiences we have ever had any where in the world, and we travel a lot in Australian, asia Europe and the Pacific islands.
We always remove bedspread covers with the knowledge that they are rarely washed. When my partner picked up the bedspread int he morning he felt something sticky and was horrified tosee it was human excrement about the size of his palm and was not baby poo -He told the manager and rather than receive an apology he was told We clean them every day -Ill see the head cleaner no aplogy. If this is not a good reason to avoid this place, the long wait for dinner in the restaurant might also disappoint - a desert order took 20 minutes for the waiter to return and tell me they had no more chocolate puddings left. I also asked if the carrot soup had bread and was told yes and was then charged over 5 dollars for some dry bread and four olives.
The queen beds are more like doubles and

Room Tip: Dont stay here!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank ozadventurers
Management response:Responded July 2, 2012

Dear Valued Guest (OZadventures)

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay with us. In regards to the issue relating to the stain on the bedspread, when you informed us of this fact the head housekeeper immediately accessed your room and removed the bedspread. On investigating the stain our head housekeeper ruled out human feces but thought it to be more likened to betadine antiseptic liquid stain. We thank you your feedback on this issue as we pride ourselves on maintaining the highest levels of cleanliness.

In relation to the dessert issue we freshly bake our chocolate puddings based on the guest order at the time. These puddings take approximately 20 minutes and as our staff like to leave a small break for the guest between main course and dessert this added a small amount of extra time to the dessert experience. We are really sorry about this breakdown in communication as we are very proud of our puddings and we are confident you would have thoroughly enjoyed the pudding.

Kindest regards

John and Denise Wilks

Reviewed June 19, 2012

New owners John and Denise have recreated a "home away from home". Beautiful accommodation with great deals, and a restaurant beyond compare. Joined by Georgie in the dining room, we experienced service second to none. Well done. We wish you success as you richly deserve.
Marg and Russell.

Room Tip: All rooms are good standard.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 12, 2012

This Motel is great for several reasons. We stayed in room 17 and it was fantastic. The bed was so comfy and cosy. The room was huge. The aircon struggled with the minus 4 degrees outside temperatures. It was freezing outside but we were warm enough inside. The room was quiet large with a small lounge setting and it was quiet flash for a country motel. The restaurant was the best food I've eaten in a long time and I consider myself as a bit of a masterchef. The home made tomatoe soup was divine and the Pork belly to die for. So crunchy the crackling and the meat so tender. I ate it twice as it was the best in the world. The new owners go to great lengths to make you feel welcome. I would stay there again definately. So don't stay at the Power house Motel across the road as you will miss out on a great experience.
Leeanne. M. from the Gold Coast.

Room Tip: Stayed there for 3 days. We were at the back of the motel in room 17 and it was very quiet and a ver...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 16, 2012

this hotel has been done up and is in the process of finishing redecorating .the new rooms are elegantly done,the beds are the most comfortable ones i have ever slept in and the bathroom is modern and well lit,mini bar is very well stocked.the owners are so friendly and helpful.the breakfast was truly delicious.The gardens are delighful and a welcome place to sit and relax in.
so overall i would definitely recommend this motel.i had previously stayed here 5 years ago and was not impressed,but am glad i decided to give another go.new owners have breathed new life into it.

Room Tip: sunday night resturant closed.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed February 22, 2012

I have never stayed in a hotel anywhere in the world where I've had such a warm and friendly welcome (and I've lived & worked in a few far flung spots!). John & Denise Wilks and their team provide a real home from home atmosphere encouraging their guests to relax. Good facilities in each room, a great restaurant with high quality cuisine and a cosy bar and lounge in which to relax and chill out. I'll definately be staying again next time I'm in Armidale! Thoroughly recommended. Rick, UK

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed December 29, 2011

This hotel presents beautifully from a street view. Unfortunately the rooms are getting a bit run down and not well maintained. Smallest Queen Bed I have ever slept in and the mattress was horrible. The bathroom door made so much noise opening that if you were asleep and your partner used the facilities, you would be woken up. Next was the shower, and I accept that most hotel showers are pretty average, but this one kept changing water temperature from too hot to freezing cold. We stayed over for a few nights and the room was never properly cleaned, the bed was never re-made, our coffee cups were never cleaned beyond our rinsing out after use and were always where we left them on a tea towel to dry & we never got any additional milk for our morning coffee either. On a positive note the air conditioning was probably the quietest I have ever had and it worked well.

Room Tip: For the money, I would look around for something else.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple