“the most luxurious relaxing place to stay”
Review of Tuddenham Mill

Tuddenham Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Reviewed May 26, 2010

Admittedly we were on a freebee nights stay as we won this at a charity night, but we stayed on a thursday night in one of the hotels loft suites and quite frankly had the most relaxing time ever. The loft suites and rooms underneath are in 2 buildings separate from the mill where the restaurant and reception are. You obviously have to brave the elements in walking between the two. The staff were ever so friendly and the service was excellent. The room was out of this world, extremely clean, and spacious. We had a fabulous view of the stream, swans, horses and pond with resident heron. I would totally recommend taking your own CDs/MP3 player/Ipod as they have a player you can use (with attachments) and also DVDs (although a selection can be borrowed from reception) The only downside to the room if you can call it that, is that your bathroom is not a separate entity so can be slightly unromantic if you know what I mean! We had dinner which was really nice if not a little strange in its combinations of food, however, we don't frequent posh restaurants so this is probably the norm, I had duck with chocolate shavings. I think its worth the money in the restaurant if you are celebrating an occasion. Breakfast was very yummy too! I can understand why people have said in previous reviews about the road noise, if you were staying in the actual mill you wouldnt get much sleep, however, traffic noise is obviously less of a night time. I think the road/village could probably do with some sort of traffic calming/speed bump measures. This is a very handy place to stay if you are going to the Newmarket races and is also very close to Bury St Edmunds. All round lovely relaxing atmosphere.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled on business
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2010

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at Tuddenham Mill. The title for your review alone is such a compliment!!!

I am particularly delighted to hear how relaxing your stay was. A stay at Tuddenham Mill is meant to be a relaxing and enjoyable experience. The little extras in the room coupled with views over the stream and Suffolk countryside encourage relaxation.

I hope you enjoyed your meal experience and I would welcome any further feedback you might have. There are interesting combinations of food, but we like all our guests to feel comfortable in the restaurant and hope the unusual dishes did not detract from your enjoyment of the meal.

I have recently spoken with the parish council regarding the road noise. The village residents are petitioning for traffic calming measures to be introduced, but so far with little success.

I hope we get the opportunity to welcome you back to Tuddenham Mill, whether you are visiting the area to attend Newmarket races or for another relaxing stay.

There are newer reviews for Tuddenham Mill

Reviewed May 22, 2010

I dined at Tuddenham Mill this weekend with my girlfriend; I can only describe the meal as amazing. I chose the newly created taster menu which included some of the finest flavour combinations I have ever sampled served by helpfull and informative staff. The restaurant is set in an elegant room with a fine view over well kept grounds which complimented the excellent dining experience. I can not recommend the restaurant highly enough and will certainly be returning in the near future.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review and your amazing comments regarding your recent dining experience.

Paul and his team in the kitchen are delighted to hear that their creativity is being so well received by diners in the restaurant. The menu does encourage our service team to interact with our guests and to hear that they were informative and helpful is music to my ears.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tuddenham Mill in the future when perhaps you might sample our hospitality and reserve one of our rooms so you can enjoy a couple of glasses of wine with your meal.

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I Visited Tuddenham Mill for a romantic and relaxing weekend away and was delighted by my experience. Unlike many countryside hotels in the same price bracket, the decor was modern and stylish rather than being excessively floral and old fashioned. We had a "water meadow" room with a lovely view across countryside and a small patio on which to enjoy the evening sunshine with a glass of the complimentary sloe gin.

The restaurant in the main building was also very good, with the chef clearly making an effort to provide some innovative menu choices. Everything we tried was good, but some dishes really had the wow factor for their delicious flavour combinations. My guinea fowl with cardoman flavoured carrots was a particular highlight. There was also an extensive selection fo wines with good tasting notes to help in selection.

What really made the weekend special was the friendly and helpful staff. They were always available to offer advice on what there is to see locally (we chose to walk around the village of Tuddenham and explored Bury St Edmunds) and ensure your stay was as enjoyable as possible. They were always happy to see you, but unlike so many hotels they backed this up with real sincerity.

If you're after a relaxing weekend away to enjoy your partner's company, I'd highly recommend Tuddenham Mill.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for your review following your recent stay at Tuddenham Mill. It is great to see such amazing feedback and the entire team are very grateful for your comments.

It sounds as though you had the perfect evening to enjoy the private terrace with your drinks outside in the early evening sunshine.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your meal. Our Head Chef, Paul, is creating some interesting dishes which are being very well received.

Any hotel can provide good food and drink with beautiful rooms, but to match that with friendly and helpful staff is sometimes a challenge. Our team work hard to ensure that all our guests have a memorable stay and they are delighted that this has been recognised on your visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to tuddenham Mill in the future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed May 4, 2010

We have just come back from a night's stay at The Tuddenham Mill and wanted to say what a great time we had.

I booked the hotel direct and explained that I wanted to propose to my girlfriend. They could not have been more helpful, helping me plan everything - nothing was too much trouble. I had called other hotels, who were not even close to how great these guys were!!

We stayed in the Loft Suite South - unbelievable room with a free standing bath, great tv area, large bathroom and a great remote controlled fire. The smaller details like the Jo Malone shampoo, conditioner and shower gel, the bath robes and all the extras that are too many to name.

The restaurant was superb, though a little pricey, the quality of the food rivals that of the top restaurants in London.

I proposed after our meal; the staff at the hotel had laid out candles all over the room, run the free standing bath and made the place look incredible!! My girlfriend (now fiancee) and I had the most amazing time there and I would recommend this hotel to everyone!

Above all, we would 100% come back here again!

Thank you to all the staff for making the proposal so good!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this reviewResponded May 18, 2010

Many thanks for your recent review following your recent stay at Tuddenham Mill.

I am delighted that you chose us to celebrate such a special occasion. I can assure you that the team were delighted to be of assistance and were glad of the opportunity to get creative with the candles. We were all waiting for the confirmation of the "Yes".

I hope you get the opportunity to return soon and take a deserved break from all the wedding planning.

From all of us here at Tuddenham Mill, I would like to wish you both the very best of luck for the future.

Mark & the tuddenham team

Reviewed April 19, 2010

Booked here last minute and got a dinner, bed and breakfast deal in a Water Meadow room. The room was amazing - well, really, it was the view that made it. Acres of lush countryside and unless someone walks right past, it's really private too. I'm not usually one for ultra modern rooms but this one was fab - great shower, tasteful decor, Bose system, flat screen TV and gorgeous bedding. But what made this place stand out was all the little touches - the decanter of gin, the homemade snacks, the generous sized Jo Malone products, the fresh orange juice in the fridge, etc. The weather was also great so that was a bonus as we could make the most of the outdoor space. The loft rooms are a lot bigger, and a lot more expensive, but they only had a very small terrace at the top of the stairs - we had quite a large terrace with a beautiful view. if we stayed here again I'd rather pay less, have more privacy and a better view in a water Meadow room. It seemed to be that the water meadow rooms had more privacy than any of the rooms with outdoor areas. Service was very impressive - no qualms there. The only reason I haven't given this place 5 stars is because of the price of food and drink in the restaurant. A Long Island Iced Tea cocktail was £11 (they're usually £9, even in top restaurants) and wasn't mixed professionally. The duck starter was £11 (nice, but not worth £11); seabass was £25 - okay, only a few pounds more expensive than these things should be but it all adds up. Our room would have been a lot more as well if we hadn't have gotten a deal. So I would definitely recommend this place, as long as you can get a fair rate.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple

Manythanks for your review following your recent stay at Tuddenham Mill.

I was delighted to read such amazing comments about the room. At Tuddenham Mill, we believe that the extra little touches add so much to the overall stay experience. The decanter of Sloe Gin is a perfect way to finish off an evening and with generous sized Jo Malone toiletries, the pampering need not stop when you depart as these can be taken away with you.

I have discussed your feedback about the drinks with my bar team and we are in the process of compiling a new cocktail list with training being provided to ensure the drink is mixed professionally.

Since your visit, we have had a new head chef start and his new menus have been very well received. We have had feedback on the old menus and this was given to Paul and he has devised which I am sure you would agree, is an exciting menu which is fairly priced.

I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to Tuddenham Mill in the future.

Reviewed April 16, 2010

Firstly the negatives and as you can see above I cant find that many. The biggest problem, and this is no fault of the hotels, is the traffic noise. We stayed over on a Sunday night and come 7am on Monday morning the traffic noise was very loud. Although the hotel is located on a minor road, lorries and commuters use the road as a ''rat run or cut through'' to the main dual carriageway. I should stress that this didnt spoil our night away or our enjoyment from Tuddenham Mill. I think the owner should contact the Local Council and request speed bumps or cameras. It could detract from future business if this problem continues to get worse.

One other negative, some of the tables that are for two people are huge and it means that you arent in a very personal environment if you want a quiet meal for two or if you want to get cosy.

The positves now. Lots and lots. Firstly our room. I booked a loft suite for one night. I got it for £180 whereas it is usally £345 for a night. I contacted the hotel well in advance and they offered me this excellent deal. The room is perfect, Jo Malone products, sloe gin, fresh orange juice, Bose system, Loewe Tv, huge bed, huge bath etc etc. You really couldnt fault it. Lovely views over the fields beyond. The room was spotlessly clean. I ordered champagne on ice in the room on arrival and it was there along with an anniversary card which was a nice touch. If you can push the boat out for a loft suite i highly recommend it.

We had lunch in the hotel restaurant before checking in and my brunch was excellent and my partners sandwich fine. The evening meal was superb. the duck starter and rib eye steak were perfect and my partner commented on how good her meal was. The restaurant was very busy for a sunday night and the chill out music gave it a very cool vibe. I do eat in quite a few 'high end' restaurants and this is up there with one of them. The breakfast was also excellent, all local produce and cooked to perfection. The smoothies are a must.

I love the coolness and vibe that this hotel creates. It has got it exactly right. The music played in the room and restaurant, the design, the features, the location are all exactly what I look for in a hotel

The staff were polite and helpful.

Overall i would highly recommend to anyone

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2010

Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill. It is great to see yet another fantastic review.

Regarding the traffic noise that you mention, I am in the process of writing a letter to the local council. They have so far ignored all requests for speed bumps and cameras to be installed from the local community but we will pursue this matter.

The comment about the table sizes have been passed to my restaurant manager and she is taking these comments on board when allocating tables.

The Jo Malone toiletries, Bose system etc. are available in all our bedrooms, however the space and views in the Loft Suites really do make these rooms special.

We have recently welcomed a new Head Chef to the team at Tuddenham and he is very grateful for the excellent feedback about your meal. We have just launched a new menu and I would recommend you return to try it out at the next available opportunity.

I couldn't have put the way you talk about the coolness and vibe at Tuddenham Mill better myself. It is exactly the ambience we look to create and I am delighted to hear that you feel we got it just right.

Reviewed April 10, 2010

The positive points mentioned about the hotel - sloe gin, missoni dressing gowns, Jo Malone products to take away, really excellent friendly staff, and a good restaurant in a nice ambience all still persist.

The one issue which still needs more acknowledgement is the traffic noise. Despite some of the management comments on this site, this is not a "mornings only" issue. There was a steady stream of traffic including juggernauts throughout out my stay last Easter weekend. If I were managing the hotel I would personally offer to the council to repair the illuminated "Slow down 30 mph" sign, and I would also pay for speed cameras to be installed. If you are marketing the hotel as a get away from it all destination, it does not work if the 30 mph speed limit is being flagrantly ignored right outside your hotel bedrooms.

This one issue alone is what persuaded me that the hotel does not represent good value for money. But if special offers are available I would give it a try for a short stay. In fact if I were managing the hotel I would give all visitors a voucher for a repeat visit at a quiet time of year - this business will only make money if it encourages people to come back.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this reviewResponded May 2, 2010

Many thanks for your review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill over Easter.

May I firstly thank you for your kind words about our service and rooms.

We are situated next to a road which unfortunately gets used as a cut through to the A11. We have had correspondence with the local council who disagree with our concerns. The village residents have being trying for many years to have the speed limit properly enforced but with little success. I am forwarding all reviews which mention the road noise to the council in the hope that they will urgently review this issue.

We offer a discounted room rate every Thursday & Sunday and dependant on availability this offer is available on different days. If you wish to return to Tuddenham Mill in the future, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure a room away from the road is allocated.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back Tuddenham Mill soon.

Mark & the Tuddenham team

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#1 of 5 in Mildenhall
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!