“Excellent staff, suite, restaurant. Faultless” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Tuddenham Mill

Tuddenham Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Hull, England
“Excellent staff, suite, restaurant. Faultless”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2010

Firstly the negatives and as you can see above I cant find that many. The biggest problem, and this is no fault of the hotels, is the traffic noise. We stayed over on a Sunday night and come 7am on Monday morning the traffic noise was very loud. Although the hotel is located on a minor road, lorries and commuters use the road as a ''rat run or cut through'' to the main dual carriageway. I should stress that this didnt spoil our night away or our enjoyment from Tuddenham Mill. I think the owner should contact the Local Council and request speed bumps or cameras. It could detract from future business if this problem continues to get worse.

One other negative, some of the tables that are for two people are huge and it means that you arent in a very personal environment if you want a quiet meal for two or if you want to get cosy.

The positves now. Lots and lots. Firstly our room. I booked a loft suite for one night. I got it for £180 whereas it is usally £345 for a night. I contacted the hotel well in advance and they offered me this excellent deal. The room is perfect, Jo Malone products, sloe gin, fresh orange juice, Bose system, Loewe Tv, huge bed, huge bath etc etc. You really couldnt fault it. Lovely views over the fields beyond. The room was spotlessly clean. I ordered champagne on ice in the room on arrival and it was there along with an anniversary card which was a nice touch. If you can push the boat out for a loft suite i highly recommend it.

We had lunch in the hotel restaurant before checking in and my brunch was excellent and my partners sandwich fine. The evening meal was superb. the duck starter and rib eye steak were perfect and my partner commented on how good her meal was. The restaurant was very busy for a sunday night and the chill out music gave it a very cool vibe. I do eat in quite a few 'high end' restaurants and this is up there with one of them. The breakfast was also excellent, all local produce and cooked to perfection. The smoothies are a must.

I love the coolness and vibe that this hotel creates. It has got it exactly right. The music played in the room and restaurant, the design, the features, the location are all exactly what I look for in a hotel

The staff were polite and helpful.

Overall i would highly recommend to anyone

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, May 6, 2010
Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill. It is great to see yet another fantastic review.

Regarding the traffic noise that you mention, I am in the process of writing a letter to the local council. They have so far ignored all requests for speed bumps and cameras to be installed from the local community but we will pursue this matter.

The comment about the table sizes have been passed to my restaurant manager and she is taking these comments on board when allocating tables.

The Jo Malone toiletries, Bose system etc. are available in all our bedrooms, however the space and views in the Loft Suites really do make these rooms special.

We have recently welcomed a new Head Chef to the team at Tuddenham and he is very grateful for the excellent feedback about your meal. We have just launched a new menu and I would recommend you return to try it out at the next available opportunity.

I couldn't have put the way you talk about the coolness and vibe at Tuddenham Mill better myself. It is exactly the ambience we look to create and I am delighted to hear that you feel we got it just right.

Mark & the Tuddenham team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (169)
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2010

The positive points mentioned about the hotel - sloe gin, missoni dressing gowns, Jo Malone products to take away, really excellent friendly staff, and a good restaurant in a nice ambience all still persist.

The one issue which still needs more acknowledgement is the traffic noise. Despite some of the management comments on this site, this is not a "mornings only" issue. There was a steady stream of traffic including juggernauts throughout out my stay last Easter weekend. If I were managing the hotel I would personally offer to the council to repair the illuminated "Slow down 30 mph" sign, and I would also pay for speed cameras to be installed. If you are marketing the hotel as a get away from it all destination, it does not work if the 30 mph speed limit is being flagrantly ignored right outside your hotel bedrooms.

This one issue alone is what persuaded me that the hotel does not represent good value for money. But if special offers are available I would give it a try for a short stay. In fact if I were managing the hotel I would give all visitors a voucher for a repeat visit at a quiet time of year - this business will only make money if it encourages people to come back.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, May 2, 2010
Many thanks for your review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill over Easter.

May I firstly thank you for your kind words about our service and rooms.

We are situated next to a road which unfortunately gets used as a cut through to the A11. We have had correspondence with the local council who disagree with our concerns. The village residents have being trying for many years to have the speed limit properly enforced but with little success. I am forwarding all reviews which mention the road noise to the council in the hope that they will urgently review this issue.

We offer a discounted room rate every Thursday & Sunday and dependant on availability this offer is available on different days. If you wish to return to Tuddenham Mill in the future, please feel free to contact me directly and I will ensure a room away from the road is allocated.

Once again many thanks for your comments and I hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back Tuddenham Mill soon.

Suffolk
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

I arranged a suprise one night stay at Tuddenham Mill to start a weekend of celebrations for my husbands 50th birthday & we were not dissapointed. The Water Meadow room was lovely, fantastic views, gorgeous bed...the taster menu was delicious & we were not at all rushed. Everything about the stay made us feel like we had escaped ... and we were only 10 miles from home! We have stayed in some great hotels, and have been in the hospitality business ourselves so we notice all the little touches. We had a query with the bill after we returned home (not necessarily Tuddenams fault) and the way it was dealt with (quickly & efficiently) says an awful lot about the staff and how much they care. Cant wait for another excuse to go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, April 30, 2010
Many thanks for your fantastic review following your recent stay at Tuddenham Mill. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and hope the remainder of your husbands birthday celebrations were as enjoyable.

The Water Meadow rooms have great views of the meadows and we like to think that the extra touches such as fresh milk and home made flapjack add to the overall experience.

Following your amazing feedback about the taster menu and service, I would recommend you return to sample our new menu which will be available from May 5th. It will feature some of the dishes you tasted on your previous visit.

I look forward to welcoming you back to Tuddenham Mill in the future.

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2010

This review is a little late! …..but I have been away several times since this trip. We came back from a weekend at TM (£295 per night) and I agree with many of the positive reviews but also with many of the negative views which I feel the management (and the owners) have not taken on board..or perhaps have chosen to ignore.
The hotel is very beautiful and the mill rooms are excellent. This is, however, let down by the number of small but significant faults. The hotel welcome was great and the check-in was quick and efficient. We were shown promptly to our room and then headed to the bar for a drink and bit to eat (930pm). Despite a previous comment by the management on 15 Nov 2009,… “I am sorry that you felt uncomfortable after ordering a sandwich when you arrived. Food is available 24 hours a day to residents and you certainly wouldn't be putting anybody out. “ …..we did feel that food was NOT available 24hrs. The waitress/staff member said she would see what she could arrange. This turned out to be a limited selection of sandwiches, despite another couple in the bar being served desserts only 10min later. A slice of the dessert pie would have been quite nice…or at least to be offered. I don’t expect full kitchen service 24hrs but I also would have expected more than a sandwich when the manager boasts a 24hr food service …and this for a 5* hotel?!
Going to sleep in the lovely soft beds was terrific but this was short lived as I was rudely awakened at 6am by the traffic passing only feet away from the window. You can definitely feel the vibrations from the lorries passing by. If you read the review on the 24 Jan 2010, the manager clearly states “. It is now the policy to advise any guests wishing to book these rooms that there may be a disturbance if you are sensitive to noise. We will also attempt to upgrade guests with our compliments whenever availability permits.” This was certainly not the case when booking or when arriving at the hotel. To add to this a rat or bird was having a field day in the wall scratching away (both mornings!). All this for the privilege of paying £295 for the night.
Dinner on Saturday night was hit and miss affair. The menu on our table (with our name on it) was incorrect. We had already mentioned during the week we were having the normal menu and not the special menu served that weekend. The first course took 30min. The champagne glass looked like it had been pulled out of the cellar (dusty and dirty) and the second had finger prints all over the outside of the glass. As I was having Venison I opted for a glass of red wine. The wine menu was prompt but the waiter never returned until I had almost finished the main course. Yes, I could have called the waiter back but I don’t expect to do this if the staff is on the ball. The Venison was very nice BUT for £25 I only got 2 extremely small slices of meat….and I mean extremely tiny!! I complained on the night; the waitress said she would tell chef…and that was it..no more was said (odd?!). The manager’s response on checking out….(you’ll love it)….venison was nearing the end of the season and so due to limitations in supply the price was higher…they therefore used smaller portions and charged the same amount! How about reducing the price in line with reducing the quantity. But surely it would have been fair to give the usual portion until there is no more and then politely tell the patrons that there is no more venison? This is what they did for the dessert – there was no apple crumble left so I had to choose something else. No big deal. The staff were hit and miss. There were certainly enough of them but none seemed to be attentive.

We spoke to the manager on leaving about some of the issues and he did have some answers but nothing further was offered.

In all, lovely rooms but too many significant negatives to warrant returning or referring to others. Sorry.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, April 17, 2010
Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill.

I am very grateful for your feedback and I would like to assure you that all the feedback is taken on board. I would like to apologise if you feel that previous comments by myself have not been acted upon.

Food is available 24 hours a day and as you have stated it is only a limited selection outside restaurant hours. However, I am disappointed that as there was a chef available that no hot option or dessert was offered to you. I have recently appointed a new head chef who is in the process of writing new menus which are scheduled to be launched on May 6th. Wihin his brief he has also been asked to ensure that there is a more substantial offering other than sandwiches available throughout the day and until 10pm. The team at Tuddenham including myself should be responding positively to all requests without the guest feeling they are being an inconvenience. We are renowned for our customer service skills and I am sorry that we let you down on this occasion.

I have again asked my reservatons team to ensure that all guests are advised of the road noise when booking directly with us. I am also passing all negative comments regarding road noise on to the local council in the hope that they will review the situation and put some traffic calming measures in place.

I would be delighted if you were to contact me directly to discuss these comments in more detail and I do hope I get the opportunity to welcome you back to Tuddenham Mill in the future.

Citymouse78
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

We have stayed at several boutique hotels around the country but Tuddenham Mill is definitely one of the best boutique country hotels that we have stayed in. The room we had (Water Meadow Room 3) was absolutely stunning. The decor was stylish and sleek yet cosy and offered amazing views of the surrounding fields. The staff were attentive and knew exactly what we wanted without asking. They were extremely helpful, were interested in their guests (a rarity nowadays) and went out of their way to make our stay relaxing, comfortable and enjoyable. Several hotels lay claim to using local produce and having a gourmet restaurant - but Tuddenham Mill is only one of the rare few that have managed to live up to that claim.

The breakfast of beef-link sausages, sweet cured bacon with home made brown sauce was unforgettable (and I am a sausage snob)! Dinner of pork and stilton pie (for starter), rib-eye with bearnaise sauce (as main) and lemon curd tart for dessert was well executed (the flavours of the ingredients were allowed to speak for themselves) and just what we needed after a good country walk. They also have an excellent wine and port selection which we were impressed with.

All in all it was a magical weekend and a relaxing and luxurious retreat - it was worth every penny! For anyone looking for a relaxing weekend away from the city, Tuddenham Mill is the place to go!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill.

I am delighted to hear such amazing feedback. The water meadow and mill stream room have fantastic views and with the benefit of the patio doors you can relax and enjoy the fine weather.

Our new chef Paul is delighted to hear your coments. When sourcing ingredients the emphasis is on the quality and locally sourced whenever possible. Our new Spring / Summer menu is being launched on May 5th and certainly worth returning for.

We look forward to welcoming you back to tuddenham Mill in the future.

Colchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2010

We stayed at TM for just one night - it was a belated Valentine's Day gift to each other. I honestly don't think we could have chosen better - within minutes of arriving in the room we both felt totally de-stressed and relaxed. We stayed in one of the loft suites, and it was absolutely stunning - picture-perfect both inside and out. As mentioned many times previously, it's the little touches that make TM extra special - the gorgeous complimentary sloe gin and half bottles of wine, the delicious home-made biscuits and the lovely Jo Malone bath products. Some of the big touches are pretty fab too - the bath made for 2 is divine, the bed is the most comfortable I've ever slept on, having a telescope in the room is so cool - I could go on!
We dined in the restaurant in the evening, and the food and service were great, and contrary to some of the previous reviews, I thought the prices were extremely fair, and certainly not on a par with any London restaurants I've been to - sadly!!
If I had to nit-pick at all, I would say the only slight disappointment was with one of the members of staff who didn't seem terribly welcoming when we went to the bar before dinner - we were kept waiting quite a while without receiving any recognition from her - and unfortunately at breakfast the following morning her mood didn't appear to have improved much! The other staff members we came in to contact with were absolutely great though - so I don't think it's endemic of the team there! Overall we had a fabulous time, and will definitely visit again as it's only 45 minutes away, so a perfect weekend treat, and retreat! I have recommended TM to a number of friends and family already - it's so definitely worth a visit if you're in need of a pamper!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, March 30, 2010
Many thanks for yet another amazing review. It's a pleasure to read such positive feedback and I'm delighted to hear how you were instantly relaxed after your arrival.

We believe it is the little things in a hotel that make a huge difference. A Complimentary decanter of Sloe Gin, Jo Malone toiletries, home made biscuits and even the fresh milk and fresh orange juice in every room exceed our guests expectations.

The feedback regarding the team at Tuddenham Mill has been discussed with all members. The importance of portraying a positive outlook at all times has been stressed and from recent feedback has certainly improved.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tuddenham Mill in the future.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2010

Booked this for my husband's birthday, we stayed on a saturday night in one of the water meadow rooms, there is no noise from the road here but to be honest the road did not appear that busy to us but we did not stay in the main building so perhaps avoid these rooms if you are a light sleeper. We had a lovely lunch on arrival then went for a walk, weather was great luckily, then relaxed in the beautiful room which overlooked the meadow, the glass doors slide all the way open on to a small decking area with a table and chairs where we enjoyed champagne in the afternoon sun. Only thing wrong was the sound system did not work but the bath and shower are fantastic, loved the fudge and Jo Malone toiletries (decent size!). To finish off we had a taster menu in the restuaurant which was a wonderful, we loved TM and would recommend it, the loft suites look fab if you can afford it and the decor in the mill is very tasteful!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MarkOReilly, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, March 27, 2010
Many thanks for your recent review following your stay at Tuddenham Mill in February.

It would appear you were blessed with the weather and I can't think of a better way to make use of the decking area than sipping Champagne and looking out at the undisturbed views of the Suffolk countryside.

Apologies for the music system not working, but I can assure you all is in working order now. We are delighted to be able to supply such generous sizes of Jo Malone toiletries as it means our guests can take these home to continue the pampering experience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Tuddenham Mill and once again many thanks for your amazing comments.

Mark & the Tuddenham team
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
Riverside House Hotel
Riverside House Hotel
#1 of 5 in Mildenhall
Newmarket Boutique Apartments

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!