“Nice room, good food, but could do better”
Review of Tuddenham Mill

Tuddenham Mill
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Tuddenham
Alderley Edge, United Kingdom
“Nice room, good food, but could do better”
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice contemporary room (Watermeadow4) could do with a freshening of paint and filling of significant plaster crack in bathroom. Good level of fixtures and fitting although I struggled to find an ironing bard for the iron!

Complained at reception that the toilet set was defective and just retained on two pins, it was allegedly fixed over a light dinner but came loose again on first use after returning to the room! Effectively dangerously loose! It just rested on two pins!

On calling reception another room was offered but as it was almost 9pm we declined to move.

Nice basics but not there in its delivery.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DaveCheshire100
Adam D, General Manager at Tuddenham Mill, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review following your recent visit to Tuddenham Mill.

We pride ourselves on offering high quality contemporary rooms and we apologise that you feel your room fell below our high standards.

Having been alerted to your comments about the toilet seat, two of my senior colleagues went to fix the issue whilst you enjoyed your light dinner. Guest safety is of paramount importance to us and at the time of leaving the room my colleagues have assured me that the seat was working correctly which is why I am at a loss as to why it came loose straight away on your return. We have re-checked the seat.

I do hope you do decide to return in the future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 25, 2013

What a lovely little gem of a hotel. Great location to be within reach of Cambridge but away from the hustle and bustle. Excellent, first rate service. This place pays attention to detail. Love the designer Missoni bathrobes and larger sized shower and shampoo products (Elemis). Love the uniqueness of the property. Love the restaurant with first rate food. Love the complimentary sloe gin at the bedside as well as the complimentary shortbread cookies and brownies and milk and fresh squeezed orange juice. There's so much that I love about this place. If you are looking for an oasis in this area, look no further. Stay here...really...go on and do it, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Mom_II_Boys
Essex,England
Reviewed September 17, 2013

Booked a Cosy night TM (Tuddenham Mill) for a night away with my wife on September 15th 2013
Had read the mixed reports on the food and the portion size and thought I would comment on my experience

The quality of the food was stupendous.
Whilst I agree the portion size is not "carvery standard" I don't think this is what TM is about.
The thought process that has been put into the construction of the food is excellent.
The pork neck starter was so so good. The depth of taste on the pork crisp was fantastic.
The other 2 courses were also of a high standard

Quality is something that resonates throughout TM
From the extremely comfortable bed, the luxurious bath products, Bose stereo and handmade cookies awaiting you in your room.
I cannot recommend enough a stay TM as break away from the norm and experience some luxury.

I also like that TM think of their customers with their breakfast times. The standard time for breakfast finishing is usually 09:30. TM extend their breakfast time till 10:30 so you can enjoy relax and enjoy your room and surroundings more

The only slight downside is the noisy road and the sound of aircraft that you feel are taking off from the car park.
Be prepared for “open wallet surgery” when you check out however when you have this much quality running through the entire place you should expect to pay for it.

If you are looking for cheap getaway with large portions of cheap food then steer clear of TM. If you are looking a luxury night(s) away with great food, service and stunning surroundings then get a night booked at TM

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Popeye147
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

I booked dinner bed and breakfast, as special surprise for my husbands 50th Birthday. I reserved one of the loft rooms and WOW it was just amazing. Everything was beautifully done, top quality bedding, furniture, and beautiful finishing touches, like home made brownies on arrival, fresh orange juice in the fridge along with other complimentary soft drinks. The evening meal was beautifully presented, but small portions. Service was excellent throughout our stay. Yes it was expensive, but worth it for a special occasion. We loved it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Water Meadow Room 2 is on the ground floor, has excellent 100% fold back windows, a small private terrace with a beautiful outlook. The bed is heavily quilted so inclined to retain heat. The weather was warm when we stayed and with no air conditioning (a heavy duty fan is provided) the temperature in the room rose overnight so I opened the door onto the terrace to increase ventilation and achieved a sufficient breeze. The bath and shower are excellent but the bathroom needs some repainting. There were stains on the white bed quilt cover and on the bed valance; evening turndown was limited with wet towels left in the bath overnight.

We dined in on the first night – apparently chef concentrates on achieving fantastic flavours; the quality of the food was good and very enjoyable but there was insufficient food quantity – at circa £50 per person not including wine it did not provide me with value for money. Portion control is understandable but bread and vegetables can bulk up a meal for little cost. The wines in the bar and restaurant were good; I especially liked the Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon. Generally excellent service. For dinner we'd suggest consider the Pea Porridge Restaurant in Bury St Edmunds which is circa 15 minutes away (use sat nav as it is difficult to find).

Room Tip: in my view of the "cheaper rooms" Water Meadow room 2 has the optimum view
1 Thank SeriousTraveller01
Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This was our last night of our honeymoon and I wanted it to be special. Slightly above our normal budget but what the heck you only go on honeymoon once. It was really special; I loved the fact that we could walk out into the meadow grass from our rooms, all wooden painted floors, great bed with first rate linen and decent pillows. I go for the nice little touches - why would I want to pay money for something that is not as good as I have at home? Molton Brown toiletries (decent sizes, bar stocked and complimentary with fresh orange juice, fizzy and still water, special teas, fresh milk, short bead made on the premises and a couple of chocolates as well. Good size room - the only draw back was that our neighbour had a yapping small dog with them which was sorted very quickly when we asked the reception.
But the highlight was the food the chef produced - worth a detour. Small portions but exquisitely cooked and presented.
Would be worth their while to invest in decent bread for breakfast though - getting supermarket style bread was a real turn off after the great food the night before.

Room Tip: We had the meadow room - great choice!
London
Reviewed August 27, 2013

My husband and I recently enjoyed a fantastic stay at Tuddenham Mill. The rooms are beautifully decorated, the natural surroundings are lovely to enjoy on a (good) summer's day, and the chef is truly gifted.

We stayed in Mill Room West, which I would highly recommend, for its beautiful windows and luxuriously large and comfortable bed. Although the road noise can be noticeable during the day if you have the windows in the bathroom open, we found it to be very quiet most of the time and not a disturbance at all in the night.

I'd also recommend grabbing a sandwich from their "light bites" menu during the daytime for lunch and enjoying it outdoors by the pond. Their twice (thrice?) cooked chips are divine and the roast beef sandwich in particular, really delicious - especially when washed down with a glass of prosecco, which I ordered as soon as we arrived!

Dinner in the restaurant was fantastic; a real experience. My husband and I are both adventurous and open-minded eaters, which was great as we were presented by some very inventive flavor combinations that worked and pleasantly surprised us. The two-course breakfast the next day was a welcome reward for the 5k run we had completed earlier that morning. There are some terrific footpaths for running through the countryside.

In the evening, we had the option of taking a stroll outside through their beautiful meadow along lush, green pathways, or renting one (of many) DVDs to enjoy in our room, and we ended up doing the latter, which was fun too.

Overall, we enjoyed our trip to Tuddenham Mill very much. It's romantic but also family-friendly - kids would really enjoy it too. One thing I wish they would offer are some activities to complement guests' stay, as it is such a pleasant place to stay around i.e. stay put rather than use it as a base to travel to other locations. I wished they had offered excursions (at a price, of course) for riding, yoga (on site, probably - it would be a beautiful, meditative place to practice! And there's room for it!) or eventually, a small spa site for treatments or relaxation.

One word of warning, however, in relation to traveling to Tuddenham Mill from Newmarket station, is that the taxis are unbelievably expensive - and that's coming from a London resident! A return trip to and from the Mill (between 8-10 miles journey) cost us nearly £40! I was so shocked. Granted, we were traveling to the hotel on a Bank Holiday Sunday and back on the Monday, so perhaps other travelers will have had different experiences but those two journeys were categorically the most expensive I have ever taken in the world.

Room Tip: The loft rooms are spacious and beautiful, but the Mill Rooms are equally impressive. We very much e...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Tuddenham
Swan Hotel & Spa Lavenham
#1 of 2 in Sudbury
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to Tuddenham Mill? Share your experiences!