“Close to perfection.”
Review of White Hart Pub

White Hart Pub
Ranked #2 of 3 Restaurants in Tuddenham
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Wonderful tap ales and best English food cooked on the spot by Rebecca. Atmosphere was relaxed and down to earth.
“Close to perfection.”
Reviewed October 28, 2013 via mobile

The White Hart in Tuddenham is a friendly, family-run freehouse pub serving home-cooked meals to a very high standard, along with a good selection of real ales. My family and I arrived here just as it was opening for the evening, and although food service wasn't due to start for another hour, we were made to feel very comfortable while we waited. The place was lovely and warm when we arrived, and the owners were very friendly and welcoming. Free Wi-Fi was available on request. The White Hart feels like it has all the best aspects of a traditional English local pub, without the intimidating atmosphere you can tend to find in many of the other pubs in the area. When the time came for us to order or meals, we were impressed at the dishes on offer. Our only criticism is that the menu felt somewhat limited. All the dishes are written on chalk boards, which possibly had the effect of making the selection seem smaller than it really was. There weren't any starters or a children's menu, although they said they were happy to do child-sized portions. My wife is a vegetarian, and there was only one vegetarian option planned for that evening which wasn't written down on the boards. This particular evening it was vegetable curry, which was unfortunate as my wife is not fond of spicy foods. However, this is where our criticism ends. We asked if they had other vegetarian options, and they were able to come up with an alternative meal which my wife said was the best meal she had ever had in Suffolk (and we've been to some good places in Suffolk!) I chose a pork dish which came with the a lovely sesame-seed gravy, fresh vegetables and roast potatoes cooked to absolute perfection. Our four-year-old son had a chicken burger which looked amazing. As we all know, four-year-olds can be incredibly fussy, and he initially complained that the chicken burger didn't taste like normal chicken. When I tried it, it became clear why. This was very good quality chicken, very rich in flavour, quite unlike the chicken you normally get in chicken burgers. Once he got over the fact it was a bit different, he happily tucked-in. Then came the desserts! I had an amazing ginger and white chocolate cheesecake, while my wife and son had some of their home-made ice cream which was easily as good as anything you'd find elsewhere. I'm happy to report that the toilet facilities were very clean. Overall, we really enjoyed our experience here and can't wait to return. We do feel that the menu might benefit from having some starters, even if it was just a soup-of-the-day and some bread sticks, a small children's menu, and one or two more vegetarian options. I should also point out that their opening times differ from what is advertised on their Facebook page, so it's best to phone ahead to avoid disappointment. Don't let these comments deter you from visiting, though. The sheer quality of the meals served by the White Hart far outweighed any concerns we might have had over the size of the menu. Furthermore, the owners assured us that if we phoned them a day in advance, they would be happy to cook whatever we request. I wasn't able to try the beer on this occasion, but the selection is very good. So many pubs in this area aspire to be 'gastro-pubs' and end up leaving you feel disappointed. What's great about the White Hart in Tuddenham is that it is unpretentious, informal, but you will end up feeling pleasantly surprised. It's what a local pub should be.

wales
“it true - that welcome really is warm!”
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We're walking the icknield way so imagine if you will four foot-weary chaps sliding in just as the rain starts to bucket down - covered in mud from earlier rain and the trek we were a bit cynical to see their sign promising a warm welcome (muddy boots sometimes dilute it!). Wrong though - the welcome was warm, the hospitality genuine as was the enthusiasm with which Rebecca and Paul run the place. can't comment on the food but the beer was well kept and the steaming pot of tea brilliant. we were sorry to miss dinner (best to book apparently if you have a special request as everything is fresh and limited quantities). Nice touches (like a suggested thanksgiving dinner to cover off the local Mildenhall bunch!) made it clear how dedicated they are to the community.
We've still got more walking to get to the end of the path so hope to return for some of that rather fab looking food!

• Visited October 2013
“Fab!”
Reviewed October 4, 2013

We live in the village and have been eating here regularly. The food is fabulous and Rebecca, Paul and the family are lovely and very accommodating, we are so lucky to have this on our doorstep!

• Visited October 2013
mildenhall
“Lovely friendly place to while away some hours”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We visited with friends on Sunday and were welcomed straight away, it is a lovely clean establishment, with the owners making it a warm and pleasant place to sit and enjoy your afternoon.

The beers were excellent, and the wine list quite extensive.

I am a yorkshire gilr and the roast spuds and yorkshire puddings were as good as anything I have tasted even in my hometown.

Suffice to say we will be back and can see us becomign very frequent visitors

• Visited September 2013
“The friendliest pub I have ever been in!!!”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We walked over for a drink at the White Hart while staying next door at Tuddenham Mill. We had the warmest welcome we've ever experienced! The first thing we learned was that Sunday night is cheese night and the owners (or sometimes some of the local regulars) provide a huge plate of cheese, biscuits, grapes and chutney. We were made so welcome by everyone in the pub! We chatted with the friendly owners and their family. My girlfriend was welcomed to play a few games of crib and one of the locals bought us a drink while she was playing! We couldn't believe the hospitality at this pub and would recommend it to anyone in the area. We had already eaten but heard that the food is great and will be definitely going for a meal next time we come through. Thanks for having us Paul and Rebecca!

Visited September 2013