“Fabulous” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Town House - CLOSED

The Town House
Cuisines: New Zealand, Cafe, International, European, Contemporary
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Description: Housed in the distinctive Art Deco ‘Waterside Workers Union Hall’ The Town House (formally The Bay House) is a ‘must do’ on your coastal itinerary. Reminiscent of a European café The Town House is the ‘go to’ place whatever you’re dining needs, whether it be a meal at anytime during the day or evening, a coffee and croissant in the morning, an afternoon wine or cocktail or a late evening drink and dessert. This is the place where you will find the locals sipping espresso at the bar on a Saturday morning reading the paper while others dine in the restaurant and enjoy the a la carte menu on offer. Located towards the port end of town near the picturesque fishing wharf on the corner of Palmerston and Cobden Streets, The Town House’ cosy interior is in keeping with its art deco history featuring original wooden floors, be-spoke wallpaper and wood paneled walls throughout with a deco sunburst theme behind the bar, the freestanding fireplace and in the original art deco glass and rimu doors that lead to the north facing terrace. The dining room is cosy despite its open design and high ceilings. The room warms up as it fills up with diners and comes alive with the enjoyable buzz of dinner conversations and as the warm weather comes to an end a spot by the fireplace is desirable and will see you settle in for a very comfortable dining experience. The Terrace has seating for 40 diners and on a sunny day is the best spot in town for alfresco wining and dining.
Westport
“Fabulous”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2012

Its a lovely atmosphere, great food and excellent service. I have always had a wonderful coffee each time I visit.

Visited September 2012

Westport, New Zealand
“Can't wait to return”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

Friends and I recently dined at this restaurant for the first time in nearly a year. After being told by locals that meals are small and expensive we all ordered sides with our main meals to be safe. We ended up ordering far too much food as one or two sides would have been enough for the five of us.
Not only were the portions generous but the food tasted amazing! The best dining experience I have had in a long time. The whole menu is exciting from the starters right through to the cocktail menu. I highly recommend The Town House for excellent food, drinks and service. I look forward to next time!!!

Brisbane, Australia
“Good modern fusion menu but too salty for us”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We had the curry clams entree with won ton skins - would have been an excellent dish except a little too salty to us. We are not overly salt sensitive people but we found this dish a little too salty. The garlic bread tasted home-made and a generous portion.

The Fish of the Day was delicious - served with saute leeks and tagliatelle. The twice cooked pork could have been better; the shredded apple ginger topping was an excellent flavour and the kumara mash a very nice accompaniment. The pork meat itself was tasty but a little stringy. The skin was slightly crispy and a little chewy and again for my taste buds a little too salty - I made crackling pork quite often and do it without a lot of salt. The side dish of stir-fried vegetables came in quite a lot of liquid and was not a dry stir-fry. It was okay but unfortunately only added to the overall salt overload in my meal.

We then thought we would come back the next day for coffee and cake as I thought the cakes looked good from the night before. We had two coffees and one carrot muffin and were charged $14.90 which we thought expensive compared to other cafes where we also had two coffees and one muffin - if the muffin was fantastic we could have excused the price. The coffees were nice but the carrot muffin was not. It looked pretty but it tasted dry and the texture was quite dense and grainy so I can only assume the muffins were more than a few days old because when I tried to split it in two with my fork I had to use a bit of effort. In hindsight I should have told the girl the muffin was not the freshest.

Would I dine here again - only if I knew the meals would not be as salty as this one was and the muffins were more moist and light.

heartout, Owner at The Town House, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thanks for your review. We are currently in a transition period with new staff in the kitchen and there is definitely some fine tuning required on attention to details such as salt. Your feedback is helpful thanks and really appreciated.
Wellington
“Exceeded expectations”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

We were recommended this restaurant by some locals and it didn't disappoint. Lovely decor, cozy and warm by the wood burner, and food that would rival some of the top Wellington restaurants. Best of all was the great service and friendly locals to chat to at the bar. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone visiting Westport. (I would have given an 'excellent' rating for the food below, but we both ordered the squid entree and both felt it was a little too salty).

Hokitika, New Zealand
“Amazing!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2012

The Town House is simply fantastic. Great food, service and decor. We could not stop talking about how great this was :)

• Visited July 2012