“pity about lack of light in unit.”
Review of Bella Vista Motel

Bella Vista Motel
Ranked #6 of 12 Hotels in Westport
Reviewed October 1, 2011

had family unit and it was very dark. the room had twin beds in the lounge/kitchen area and a single and bunk in room. rooms clean but the kitchen had sign to say that you would have to pay if there were any cooking odours (what cooking doesnt leave odours). with the small windows and poor ventilation decided not to take the chance and ate out instead.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
BVWestport, Owner at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2011

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Bella Vista Motel. Apologies for the dim light, after you checked out we found some light bulbs had blown. If we had realised they were blown we would have replaced them for you. We are sorry you found our cooking signage offensive. We are happy for people to cook in our units. We appreciate that guests read the signs and think about what they are cooking.
We hope you enjoyed the remainder of your journey around New Zealand. We were hoping your team would win their quarter-finals!
Marilyn & Trevor

Reviewed July 24, 2011

The Bella Vista Westport is a more than adequate little motel. We booked a studio room that morning and upon arrival were greeted by Marilyn very warmly. Trevor then showed us across to the room and recommended a couple of places to eat. They were both friendly and professional.

The motel is located at the end if the 'strip' and so is a bit of a walk to the restaurants. It is no more than ten minutes though and is flat and straight. Parking on site is more than adequate and well lit when we arrived early evening.

Our room was warm and clean. It had all the usual things you'd expect... The bathroom was well presented with an excellent heat lamp system that really warms it up. The extractor fan was reasonably efficient as was the heated towel radiator, all things that helped make a chilly Winter's evening and morning far easier to handle. The only negative element to the whole experience was the hairdryer! My wife said it was a little weak...

I would happily recommend this motel to friends and would consider visiting again if back in Westport, but if cold, might choose one of the motels slightly further up the high street.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Would never consider staying here again. The room we were in was moldy in the washroom. There was no ventilation in the room or washroom so it got very muggy in the room after showering and the bathroom was dripping dew all over because of no fan. The room had a terrible smell.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2011

I stayed here recently on business . This is a modern well appointed motel and is very clean . I left a folder at the Motel and the owners kindly sent it through to Auckland for me . I found it easy to book the room I required and the owners were easy to deal with
I would stay here again if in Westport

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 18, 2010

Firstly I'd like to say that when you email this particular Bella Vista, you simply don't get a reply. Secondly when you book it, it comes through as a 'request only' and after that you receive no reply from them. Thirdly you pester them and pester them for a confirmation and finally you get one. I don't think I'll bother staying there again, as its a fairly ordinary place and they don't seem to know how to run a hotel. Its just that its the newest hotel in Westport that I stayed there.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pamandtony
BVWestport, Owner at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us on your visit to Westport.
We are sorry you feel this way. Our policy is to respond to all emails, enquiries as soon as they appear. We have not had these issues before and would appreciate receiving any information that might help us look into the matter.
We invite you to visit again if ever in Westport.

Reviewed November 27, 2010

We stayed here in a compact studio for three nights. We were on the ground floor and there was a table and chairs outside where we could sit and have breakfast. Our motel was spotless and very warm and comfortable. We have decided we will stay here from now on when we visit Westport. Although we were in a compact studio, there was everything we needed and the bathroom was spacious with a heated towel rail. We can thoroughly recommend the Bella Vista as a very enjoyable place to stay. Our hosts were friendly and made us most welcome.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BrisbaneTraveller2
Reviewed March 2, 2005

I called 2-3 weeks in advance to reserve a mini studio at this motel. I mentioned that I would be arriving late and they assured me that this would be no problem since I guaranteed the room with a credit card. When I arrived, they informed me that they were full and that they would be moving me to a B&B. The woman at the reception stated that they wrote down my reservation on two pieces of paper and on one of them it stated I would be arriving on Monday and on the other it stated I would be arriving on Tuesday. Their solution to this dilemma was to book the motel full both nights and to not worry about me at all.

First of all, I don't understand why this motel writes down reservations on different pieces of paper. Shouldn't they have this computerized so that problems like this don't arise?

Secondly, the industry standard when overbooking is to send the guest to an equal or better property when this occurs. The woman stated that her friend ran a "lovely" B&B and it happened to be charging the same NZ$85 rate. The B&B was awful and a rip-off. If I had wanted a B&B instead of a motel room, I would have booked one. There is a good chance that the manager of this motel overbooks the property purposely to give her friend at the B&B some business.

It is unfortunate that this Bella Vista motel is so poorly run since I had a positive experience at another location. Until someone honest and competent is found to manage this location, I would avoid it. There are other motels in Westport. For tourists, though, I would recommend staying in Punakaiki, which is more scenic and interesting and less than an hour away from Westport.

1  Thank giantsfan2
BVWestport, Owner at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2008

We had had a no show prior to this. We sent many people to this B&B who reported back to us their stay was wonderful. Should you visit our lovely country again we would like you to have a night in a Bella Vista Motel with our compliments.
Marilyn & Trevor Wilson , Bella Vista Westport