“Great stay but some surprising things missing”

Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Te Anau
Reviewed November 29, 2013

On the Plus side: we loved the fact that this is a large hotel which "has it all": nice room, great lounge, some of the best dinner we have had in NZ, very friendly bar staff, great view, and even a small floater-plane waiting for passengers just across the street. Our room was nice and had some of the amenities we lacked in other hotels such as iron and iron board, lots of drawers etc.

On the Minus side: very surprisingly, no wifi in the room. You have to go to the lobby! Also I don't understand why the hotel has not upgraded the shower curtains which will stick to your body as soon as you start the shower. Last thing: very very weird fitted comforter (never seen that before: the comforter is fitted at two corners of the bed) which is so skimpy that it barely covers your chest. So unnerving.

If it weren't for those few things, I would give this place 4 stars.

1  Thank Luc V
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2013

Dear Luc V
I am delighted to hear you found the dinner some of the best you tried while in New Zealand and the staff were friendly and accommodating. I hope the other comments you mentioned did not impact on your stay in New Zealand and you had a safe trip back home.

There are newer reviews for Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas

Reviewed November 23, 2013

We had requested a higher floor room and this was allocated to us. Very friendly welcome by reception staff and Brent. All very helpful.
Breakfast very busy one day with tour guests, not relaxing. 2 nd day a lot quieter. We would have had a cooked breakfast but were told that omelettes could only be made by special order and this would be extra over the full cooked breakfast price. Strange as eggs were available, but not as an omelette.
Overall though very good stay and one of the best locations. An alternative is the Lakeside Motel which has good views and a balcony on the upper floors.

Room Tip: Take a lake view room. We were on the first floor, hotel only two floors. Good view of lake, no balc...

Dear Mike 1946
It was a pleasure meeting you and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay in Te Anau and the hotel. I am sorry to hear about omellete requests as this is wrong, we are happy for our guests to have their desired egg choice and I have personally sorted this out with the kitchen.

We hope to see you back soon!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

The hotel was clean, and the rooms were spacious. I really liked having choices of channels when watching television. It's a great place as a jumping off point for Milford Sound. The food in the restaurant was quite delicious, but the service (the time for me to get my food one night) in the restaurant was the slowest I may have ever seen. I was almost convinced that the chefs had gone fishing themselves for my meal.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Colorado Traveller
I am happy to hear that you found the room suitable to your needs and you enjoyed your dining experience. I apologise if the food took too long to come out and have followed up with the kitchen to ensure we are meeting our guests delivery needs with food timings. I trust the chef did not go fishing but if he had it would have been a good option to eat off the menu. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand and had a safe trip back home.

Reviewed November 21, 2013

Looked to us as the best choice in Te Anau.
Reception and waitstaff attentive with a "service" orientation.
Clean rooms, decent size. We had a view of the gardens and pool in the back.
Other side would have viewed the lake.
No elevators; internet (wireless) only available in the lobby/bar area. No charge for internet.
Due to narrow bandwidth , internet is slow when there are multiple users. We found using the internet early in the morning, before breakfast, worked best.
Dine one evening and elected two of their $15 NZ specials - my wife had the beef burger (what we would call a hamburger in the US) and I had the Classic Caesar Salad. Both were very good. My wife especially enjoyed a burger for the first time during our trip.
Nothing fancy; solid facility, food and service. Breakfast was better than average. Poached eggs were offered as an option to scrambled. Would recommend.

Room Tip: Back is gardens and pool; front is the lake.

Dear Jeffrey S
Great to hear the staff were attentive to your needs and you enjoyed breakfast and dinner.
We hope you enjoyed your stay in New Zealand and had a safe trip back home.

Reviewed November 17, 2013

We had a lovely one night stay in a hotel room at a good price (we got it at a discount than the normal price). Great location as we were able to walk into town for dinner. We will be back next time we are trout fishing in the area.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Paulette
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

We stayed in the Villa for 2 nights and wasn't overly disappointed. It had a large living area and nice televisions in both the living area and bedroom with cable or satellite channels which was nice. The facade of the villa was very run down and there were no ashtrays in the area and the concrete planters out the front seemed to be the place to put cigarette butts which didn't seem to cleaned or maintained. The toilet was difficult to flush and the toilet area had very bad odour. All in all it was a decent place to stay but I wouldnt have called it anymore than average accommodation.

1  Thank relli85

Dear relli85
Thank you for your comments and we will take them on board and rectify issues. I hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in NZ and had a safe trip back home and these issues did not impact on your stay too much.

Reviewed November 16, 2013

The most expensive accommodation I have booked for my South Island trip. And I was disappointed. The chalet we stayed in had this smell as if it's been abandoned by years. Unlike the hotel rooms, the villas are set in a very bushy environment. Facilities are too basic for a villa. Breakfast was great, location is very central. There are heaps of better options around town though.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SOONSW

Dear SOONSW
Thanks for your comments, I am disappointed to hear the villa did not meet with your expectations. We have just finished refurbishing the bathrooms and extending bedroom by a metre. I am happy to hear that the breakfast met your expectations. I hope this did not impact on your stay too much and please feel free to get in touch if you would like to discuss further.