“Very Good”

Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas
Ranked #6 of 22 Hotels in Te Anau
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I thought this place was wonderful. The rooms are clean, beds comfy and the hotel is in a great location. All the staff I came across were very friendly and professional. The restaurant and food is very good. I would go to this hotel again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Catchews
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear Catchews

Thanks for taking the time to write and I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and found the staff professional and friendly. Please feel free to contact me if you are planning a return visit and we will make sure you return stay is as successful as your first.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

We checked in on Valentines Day and Diana showed us to our room, along the way we passed the bar,restaurant and Diana told us about the opening hours and what time breakfast was then the beautiful gardens and the sauna, spa pool and swimming pool she told us the Sauna and spa pool had to be booked in advance as it was private which was nice to know. We got to our villa it was really nice. I order a cheese board to our room which was local cheese it was beautifully presented and tasted just as nice. We then went to the bar where we had a lovely bar man named Tim serve us. Next morning we had a swim booked the spa pool with Diana she also made us feel like we were not in a rush to check out. We had a great experience and.thank you to Diana. This is the place to stay in Te Anau.

Room Tip: The villas are in the lovely gardens by the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emz07_11

Dear Emz07_11
I am thrilled to read that Diana has shown off her customer intimacy skills with you and our barman Tim was friendly and helpful. They are both true assets to our company and it makes me happy to read and hear that they have been such gracious hosts. Thanks for your glowing review and please feel free to get in touch should you be returning or looking for accommodation or dining in Te Anau.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

Thoroughly enjoyed our one night stay. We were upgraded on arrival to a lake-view room on the 1st floor. The front desk staff was cheerful and helpful. The room itself was spacious and clean. The hotel is minutes from restaurants, lakefront attractions and the usual souvenir shops. Wifi is complimentary in the lobby area and bar.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank R S

Dear RS
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and we are pleased to read you found the free wifi conducive to your stay. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the rest of your time in New Zealand.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Honestly nothing wrong regarding the hotel itself. Large modern room, average cleaniness (dirty bathtube), fair restaurant, average price.

We stayed 3 nights, lake view rooms. First bad impression given when we saw that groups of tourists coming by bus for one night was considered more valuable than us (greatings, cocktail on arrival ...etc ...) I can understand that it is a big income for the hotel, but the same treatment should be given to all guests, especially when they stay long time and using hotel services as restaurant.

The big disapointment is coming from the billing policies: the hotel directly used my creit card details WITHOUT my permission and without notification after 2 days. During the checkout process I inform them that the sum requested was too low considering that we had diner at the hotel (expensive). I was told that the hotel use my credit card details 2 days before ... I told that it was not acceptable to have such behaviour (it is like taking money from my wallet if I left it in the hotel safe !!!!) but no apologize, no explanation. For this reason I definitively not recommand this hotel to traveller.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank casanovay
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2013

Dear Casanovay
I am disappointed to hear your credit card was charged for items you had consumed in the hotel in the restaurant without prior notification and would be happy to discuss with you if you have some time free to do so. We do have groups that pay for drinks or other services for their guests on arrival and we are happy to do this as a service for them as we would be to anybody that requires or requests a service from us. I think it is unfair to assume that everybody buys for the same reason because they don't. Some people value affordable options while others value comfort and luxury. As a hotel we cater for and are sensitive to each customers values, I am sorry you felt it was unfair. We do value all of our business and strive to ensure all our guests leave the hotel recommending us. I am sorry we did not do this for you on this occasion.

Reviewed February 13, 2013

My partner and I stayed at this hotel en route to Milford and Doubtful Sound. The views of the lake Te Anau are amazing from the hotel. The town is a really tiny one, but then views of the mountains and the lake are absolutely breathtaking....Must do is a walk aroun the lake..its really romantic and with the sun setting around 9pm only, its an amazing walk after dinner!

The rooms could do with a little upgrade, but the room service was excellent. The breakfast was elaborate and very good, with a lot of options.

I would definately recommend this hotel and a visit to the Olive Bar close by. The tourist office is around the corner. Loved our stay here as a part of our honeymoon...absolutely amazing, just wish we had spent a little more time.

Stayed here in Nov 2009.

Room Tip: Select the room which faces the lake..the views are AMAZING!
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear WiniPooh
I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and congratulations to both of you, we sincerely hope we have another opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 29, 2013

This is a very special hotel - it is beautifully designed and appointed with a very good range of facilities. Our room was on the ground floor with a lovely view of the lake. It had two queen size beds and was well equipped with attractive decor . . though it would benefit from an upright chair in addition to the two armchairs provided. The bathroom was of a high standard with a good length of surface for personal items and a really well lit mirror wall above the basin area. We were very impressed by the helpful attitude of all the staff and the good service we received at this hotel. The Duty Manager came out to welcome our group as our tour bus arrived, the staff made a fuss of my husband when they heard he was celebrating his birthday and, as we left, we were offered sweets to wish us well. We would certainly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: It's preferable to request a room with a lake view.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Dear Lee F
It is rewarding to hear the staff went out of their way to ensure your stay was enjoyable and one to remember as well as to read the facilities in the room were conducive to your stay. I will be sure to pass your somments on. We have intoduced a customer intimacy culture in the hotel and this is great to hear and see it in action. Hopefully we will have another opportunity of welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed January 25, 2013

It was our first time in Te anau. We had beed here to visit Milford sound. We arrived at the hotel little early and thought room would not be ready but Jacob (one of the front office staff) helped us to check in early. Thanks Jacob for this, u rock. Our overall stay was very nice and we enjoyed in te anau. room was very nice with great view. I would love to come back here.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Brent S, General Manager at Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear Glosson R
I am delighted to hear Jacob was so helpful and made a lasting impression on you and you found the hotel conducive to your needs. We hope to see you back agian soon.