We turned up on a whim and were greated by an exceptional front of house lady. We were given a lovely lake view room and breakfast for a very fair price.
The hotel itself is very central to the little town which made it great for walks and going out for dinner.
We were really impressed with the general feel of this hotel - especially the welcoming reception and bar area.
Our room was very nicely decorated with a comfy king bed. However, this hotel, like many others, still insists on providing the thick fibre pillows which are naff in my opinion.
The bathroom was substandard - hence only an average scoring for the hotel. The grouting was filthy and there was no shower curtain meaning that the whole bathroom was soaked after only a 2 minute shower. They only provided 2 towels, which although they say they can deliver more to the room, I think that anyone with common sense knows that a woman uses two to herself.
There weren't many available channels available on the TV, less than is available on freeview. Some of the channels had no sound. Their free movie channel is a lovely idea but the picture was unwatchable. After a long drive to get here, it is nice to be able to chill out after dinner in the hotel room which is why a decent channel selection is so important for hotels.
They provide plunger coffee and regular tea making facilities in the room.
The breakfast room was outstanding. It is a really lovely place to go for a large group dinner, and it has great views. The breakfast options were very good, and everything was very fresh. The only way they could improve it would be to offer freshly baked bread/rolls, fresh whole fruit, porridge, and pancakes. They have a breakfast chef in the room to offer you freshly cooked eggs how you like them, which was a surprise for this level of hotel.
On the whole, I struggled as to whether to give this place 3 or 4 out of 5, but due to the bathroom and TV it would have to be a 3. We are looking forward to coming back however.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the Te Anau Lake Front, a short stroll from the Te Anau Town Centre, Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas is perfectly situated for you to make the most of this beautiful area. Surrounded by extensive, colourful gardens and overlooking spectacular Lake Te Anau and the Fiordland ranges, this Hotel and Villa accommodation sets the tone for your stay in one of the world’s most breathtaking regions. Designed for your comfort, we offer 115 luxurious rooms, including Hotel rooms with Garden and breathtaking Lake Views, and a range of spacious One and Two Bedroom Garden View Villas. On-site is the renowned MacKinnon Room Restaurant offering the very best of South Island cuisine, and the Explorer Bar and Lakefront Terrace where you can relax and enjoy the uninterrupted views of Lake Te Anau. The hotel offers the largest hotel based conference centre in the area, and its very own lakefront wedding chapel, plus extensive recreational facilities, including a spa, sauna, heated outdoor swimming pool and massage services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Distinction Te Anau Hotel and Villas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Distinction Te Anau Hotel And Villas Fiordland National Park
- Distinction Hotel Te Anau