“Good value, excellent service”

Ming Garden Chinese Restaurant
Ranked #19 of 34 Restaurants in Te Anau
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good value, excellent service”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We chose this restaurant as we had heard it was a favourite with the locals and was busy. We found that the service was excellent, very attentive, we didn't wait long for our soups to arrive. We felt the quality of the food was definitely above average for chinese food. My stir fried vegetables were defintely the best I have had for a while. We felt that the prices were very good value. The restaurant had a lovely traditional Chinese feel which might not suit everyone but we loved it.

Visited March 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Narbonne, France
“Mixed review”
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I have given this an average review as my husband really enjoyed his meal and asked for an extra ingredient to one of the meals. This was okay for an extra charge. I was very disappointed with my meal, greasy and not very nice. Good service and pleasant staff.

Visited March 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Decent Chinese Food”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

There are 2 Chinese restaurants in Te Anau and this is certainly the better of the two. It can be extremely busy and caters to large tour groups too. It is advisable to reserve a table. Service was very good. We are Chinese and so we may have different expectations from others in terms of authenticity. The menu is not hugely extensive but there is enough to order a good selection. The food is average - not the best Chinese food I've ever had but better than I was actually expecting considering where we were. We had steamed blue cod, bok choi, lamb hot pot, sizzling venison and rice. The cod wasn't the freshest we've had but was ok. The venison was good though. To put things in perspective it was good enough for us to go another time and we tried the Singapore noodles. They noodles were actually very good and I would recommend them.

Overall a good experience considering our location and exceeded expectations. But on a level playing field it cannot compete with the big town Chinese restaurants.

• Visited February 2013
Martin City, Montana
“Very Good Service and food”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

If you are looking to dine out and have good Chinese food this is the restaurant you want to go to. By pass China City

Visited January 2013
Auckland
“Horrible Service”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

My husband and I traveled from Auckland to Te Anau and ordered Dinner for 2 at Ming Garden Restaurant tonight. Everything (entree & soup) was served for 2 people until rice arrived. It was a small bowl with one spoon provided. When we queried it, the owner/manager was very angry and said she has been running the restaurant for 26 years and it has been this way. We suggested that they could indicate on the menu that it was one bowl to avoid any confusion, she did not listen at all and became very aggressive. SUDDENLY SHE TOOK OUR FOOD AWAY from our table!!!! Feeling so humiliated, we had to leave with empty stomach. I will never go back again.

• Visited February 2013