“Simple Italian, nicely executed”
Review of La Toscana

La Toscana
Ranked #11 of 38 Restaurants in Te Anau
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 10, 2013

This place had a commendable $45 for 2 dinner deal advertised for the early evening. With that, we got garlic bread, a main course each, and a dessert. We're vegetarians, and for the main courses my partner had their pasta verde dish and I had one of their vegetarian pizza. These were both quite good; with the pasta dish being very light and lovely. We both got their chocolate torte for dessert and it was excellent. The staff were personable and the atmosphere was not distinctive but was quite comfy after a long day driving to and fro Milford Sound.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

12 years ago during my last visit to Te Anau and Milford Sound Restaurant La Toscana surprised me with the best pizza I ever had! For 12 years this pizza experience was the benchmark for every pizza I ever had since. You might imagine my anticipation to come back to this place….. And now here I am: Disenchanted! Don’t get me wrong. I did not have a bad pizza. I just had a “normal”, good quality pizza but certainly not the outstanding benchmark I remembered. I was disappointed - not because I had a good pizza that did not live up to expectations. It was more that 12 years of anticipation ended in mediocrity.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

we went there early so had the meal for two. it's great value to pay $45 and we get garlic bread, one pasta, one pizza and two deserts. the pizza and pasta are good but not fantastic, but the pecan pie and the chocolate cake are pretty yummy and we enjoyed that a lot.

Reviewed November 6, 2013

We had a group of 8 last night (4 adult couples).
Pizza was good ... not great; pasta was the same.
Wine was "ok".
Service was very good.
Prices were reasonable.
We were here on 6 November... and for what I thought was the "shoulder season"... we were basically the only ones there at 7:30pm.
Overall.. this is a nice place. Nothing spectacular.. but if you're looking for pizza and pasta, at a reasonable price this should serve you well.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

In my opinion the food quality is average ..the veg Pizza was expensive not gluten free and was not cheesy enough ..the service was below par worse than a fast food restaurant , with charges of a good sit down restaurant....not recommended for veg

MarkLaToscana, Owner at La Toscana, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Hi there, thank you for taking time to review my restaurant. It sounds like we didn't meet your expectations, which is a real shame. I'd like to offer a few comments with regards to your review, to perhaps clear a few of your points up for those reading it. Last night was our new waiters first night, and as you were our first table for the night, you were his first guests. As such he was very nervous, and I think, because English is his second language, he struggled with your accent to understand you. Perhaps this is why your pizza was not gluten free as expected, and I'm very sorry for the mistake (our vegetarian pizzas aren't gluten free by default). We appreciate that some people like lots of cheese on their pizzas, and that others don't. We feel we have the right amount on, but are happy to add extra, or less as requested. As for the price, we have vegetarian pizzas ranging from $13.50 to $16.50 (medium size, enough for 1 person) and $19.50 to $24.00 (large size enough for 2 people). We think that is a reasonable price for a sit down meal, but we can appreciate that everyone's budget is different. The one large pizza you shared was $21.75, which when split between the 5 adults at your table works out to be $4.35 each, which to me seems like great value? All the best for the rest of your trip around New Zealand, and if you happen to be back in Te Anau in the future, I really hope you try La Toscana again, Mark