“Smashing place to stay”

Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Te Anau
Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 30 Te Anau B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 21, 2010

Excellent, comfortable and spotlessly clean accommodation with beautiful garden around the self-contained chalet rooms. We had to change our arrangements at short notice and Keiko and Kevin were most understanding and accommodating.

Would certainly stay at Keiko's again.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed January 16, 2010

We stayed with Kevin and Keiko for one night on the way to Milford. Kevin had very kindly organised our trips to the Glow worm caves ( a must see) and also our boat trip at Milford Sound.Kevin had got us the best deal too - whereby the kids went free so his advice is well worth it. Kevin knows the area well so he also gave us lot of tips and info to ensure we saw all the main sights of Milford and the surrounding area.
As a family of four with two boys aged 11 and 13 - the rooms were large, modern, immaculately clean and spacious. The beds were comfy with electric blankets and all the rooms had heaters so we didn't get cold.
( even in Summer the weather can be quite changeable). The highlight of our stay was the option of a full Japanese breakfast that Keiko makes herself. This is highly recommended as it is delicious and a real experience.
I find B&B quite expensive in NZ - so in the context of this we felt we got great value for money. We would happily stay with Kevin again.
Mike

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Kevin and Keiko-san welcomed us into one of their beautiful self-contained units: peaceful and quiet, away from hustle and bustle of Queenstown and touristy type stuff. The scenery is gorgeous and Keiko-san's attention to detail in her meticulous care of the landscaping is quite evident. A short walk to Lake Te Anau and the eateries, shops is enjoyable, and one can use a bicycle to go on a jaunt around the residential neighborhoods around Keiko's Cottages. Kevin has a wealth of knowledge as a former Milford guide and knows the ins-outs of the area.

The grocery store is close by and the kitchenette was welcomed to cook meals, snacks etc...we were even greeted by their cute dog Tess who smelled our cooking amidst the beautiful plants.

Highly recommended for peace, quiet, and base point for journey around the Southland.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 9, 2009

Keiko's place is a nice little place on the edge of town. Wonderful hosts. rooms are spacious with comfortable beds and a good sized bathroom/shower.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 21, 2009

We stayed 3 nights March 24-26, 2009. It is about a 10 minute walk to the town center. Beautiful gardens out front (Keiko's passion). Our unit was toward the back, very comfortable, nicely furnished, and quiet. The kitchenette was complete, though we hardly used it. The bathroom was large, the shower huge. The bed was a bit soft. Keiko was off visiting family in Japan. Kevin has lived in the Te Anau area for years and his family has been here for several generations. He knows everything! He advised that we stay longer in Te Anau, rather than Queenstown (right on), suggested restaurants in Te Anau, and prepared great breakfasts. He even got up extra early to feed us on our early morning departure for kayaking on Doubtful Sound. At his suggestion we drove the Milford Road, and took a cruise with Mitre Peak Cruises, on a smallish boat. He knows all the tracks and trails. You will not be disappointed with your stay here.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 26, 2009

This was quite a find.... easily the biggest cottage we have had in the NZ entire stay - the little one was very happy having found so much room to crawl around!!

Also the only place to actually provide a full size cot... some relief for the back after bending over on portacots at other places.

The gardens are indeed very beautiful.... I have been told that it's even more beautiful in summer. Kevin and Keiko are excellent hosts - the breakfasts are very hearty too!

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2009

Future potential customers don't deserve the events of last week happening to them, hence I'm writing my first review ever:

Background:
I'm a mechanical engineer, my partner is a school teacher. We had lots of email communication with the owner up to 3 weeks prior to arrival to the bed and breakfast to arrange accomodation and to act as our booking agent for 2 cruises within Fiordland...I also gave him my Gold credit card number to reserve over the phone 3 weeks in advance. We arrived at 8:30pm, a bit late, due to a full itinerary of sight seeing. It turns out, the owner took my credit card number down wrong over the phone. A simple mistake by the owner (which he fails to admit) turned into an evening of hell where he immediately told us that all of our weekend plans were cancelled and that it would be too late at that point to book anything.

For clarification sakes, I'm complaining that the owner had 3 weeks to contact us about the mistaken credit card number, and didn't, and mis-treated both my partner and I upon arrival.
- Upon initial greeting, instead of looking for clarification and possibly reviewing the written credit card number for a mistake, he immediately mentioned how all of our weekend plans/cruises were cancelled... He did not want to figure out what had happened, but was focused on complete negativity.
- He lied to us in saying that our Milford Sound cruise had been cancelled and that they would be all full at that point - Turned out, the Milford Sound cruise was very empty as we saw 2 days later.
- He lied to us in saying that there was no way of getting on the Doubtful Sound cruise, it only had 44 people on it, capacity is 130.
- He lied to us in saying that the booking office would be closed
- I understand that with the wrong number he would be forced to cancel our reservations to protect from fraud, but this could have been avoided had he contacted us via email or phone..he had 3 weeks to clarify.
- He threatened us in saying that he called other B&B's in the area to be on alert for us...like we were thieves!
- He mocked us, in saying that we had stunned looks on our faces after he mentioned all the above. Well after travelling for 2 weeks without a hitch, driving 1600km in 6 days in New Zealand and arriving at night, a stunned look would be the common reaction to that kind of welcoming.
- After completion of our vacation, and spending $7000 in 1 week in New Zealand, I've emailed the owner about the above issues. No apology for the mishap was ever received, in fact he told me to "get a life" and that my "cronies" (friends) would not be welcome if they were "plonkers like you" (lowlifes).

I've never been treated so poorly in all my wonderful life. I'm glad that the wonderful New Zealand scenery made up for this very very bad experience.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Travel_Travel19
japankiwi, owner at Keiko's Cottages & Bed & Breakfast, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2009

Mr.P seems to be the sort of person that doesnt let the truth get in the way of a good rave.
When it was getting dark and Mr.P failed to appear I entered his credit card details into our terminal - they were rejected!
I cancelled the $520 Doubtful Sound excursion booked for the following morning (normally 24 hours notice is needed but Real Journeys understood my problem) & contacted a friend to see if another B&B had their booking.
When they arrived (they had been to dinner) I explained my dilemma - we were caught 3 or 4 years ago in similar circumstances & it cost us nearly $1000! Being busy I thought that their chances of getting into Doubtful the following day would be slim but was quite happy to try & rebook them but thought that the booking office would be closed at that late hour. Being wrong on both counts is not a lie in NZ! RJ was open, the 8 & 9.30 sailings were full but they had just scheduled an 11.30
Lucky Mr P and his partner shared the excursion with only 40 people instead of 130.
I did not cancel the Milford excursion as there was enough time to do so the following day.
I did not mock them or do or say anything that would make them 'feel like thieves' those feelings would have been completely self inflicted.
Now here's a very strange thing, when Mr. P gave me his credit card I noticed that 2 of the 4 number groups were different to the one's he read (and I repeated back) to me over the phone 0535 was 7535 & 3290 became 2390.
I pointed this out to Mr P but he was adamant that I had made the mistake.
When they left they seemed quite normal and wrote a nice comment in our visitors book 'A very pleasant stay at Keikos Cottages, thank you, D & G.
I was so suprised to get a raving email in a similar vein as the comments above, calling me a liar etc. I was most offended, I put their itinerary back on track so they were not inconvienced in any way.
In my anger, by email I called him a plonker, in NZ the definition of a plonker is an arrogant fool!
Keiko & I work hard to give our guests a good experience and I find it sad that Mr P chose to attack us hiding behind the anonymity of this site, he should have spoken to me face to face like a real man.
By email I suggested to Mr P that he is welcome to return so we can have a good laugh about a very minor issue.
I think Mr P changed his CC details so they could do a 'no show' if they found a better deal, pretty dumb really.
I will now check CC's a few days out, I never, never want a repeat of the nightmare Mr P bought down on us.
Don't let Mr P's comments stop you from staying at Keikos, we are truly good hosts and have the most beautiful gardens in Te Anau - check our website.
Love