“Very lovely stay”

Ranked #4 of 29 Te Anau B&B and Inns
Singapore, Singapore
“Very lovely stay”
Reviewed December 9, 2012

Ray was very warm and helpful with getting us information about the town. We stayed in room 'Much ado about nothing' which was cozy, very clean and had everything necessary. The breakfast was just as reviewed by others on Tripadvisor - delicious! We would definitely recommend Shakespeare House to others, its a great stay at great value!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
California
Reviewed December 7, 2012

Ray's heart is in this business and it shows. We arrived later than anticipated and he had arranged everything for us to check in, right down to leaving a post-it note with the wifi password on the mirror. In the morning, we awoke to a fantastic breakfast spread and enjoyed the delicious cooked-to-order Kiwi Breakfast. We found the value at Shakespeare House to be among the very best.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
CT
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I stayed at this B&B for one night in October 2012 and the host, Ray, was very helpful and accomodating. The room was a good size, clean, and offered everything that we needed for a comfortable night's stay. It took us a little while to figure out how to turn on the heat and once we also found that there were electric mattresses on the bed, we were very toasty and warm. My husband and I were both a little nervous about the drive to Milford Sound the following morning, since we didn't have chains (Ray would've lent us his, but he had already given them to another lady), and due to that, Ray said that he would prepare us breakfast early, so we wouldn't have to feel rushed on the road. I thought that was very nice. The following morning, Ray made us omelettes and I had even seen him picking flowers from the garden (in the dark), to have on the table for us. We truly appreciated the hot breakfast and I would definitely recommend a stay here, as the hospitality was wonderful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 17, 2012

Our two night stay was not enough: Rooms, Facilities,Breakfasts all excellent. See you in two years time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 7, 2012

I booked a few days here following a stint on the Kepler Track. Unfortunately, I had to be evacuated from the trail after badly spraining my ankle. It is pretty rotten to be in alone in a foreign country and hurt, but Ray was amazingly helpful -- truly above and beyond when it came to making sure I had access to whatever I needed (like getting me take away for dinner, making sure I had ice for my ankle) until my husband arrived the next day. I am so grateful.

The room itself was the one at the front of the house, spacious and bright with a lovely view of the gardens. Though beginning their autumnal decline, the dahlias were still an explosion of color. There was lots of space for me to hobble around in the room and to spread out my gear from the hike. The one drawback was that the wall with the neighboring room seemed very thin. I could hear every word the neighbors said, though they were speaking in normal voices. Other rooms may be different, but this one would be ill-suited to honeymooning. :-) Ray's adorable children were also around sometimes during the day, but they weren't loud. In fact, they were both adorable and sweet. James was clever, polite, and attentive to his baby sister (just a few months old) when she was around. In all, one got the feeling of a great family establishment but the layout of the property and the hosts' demeanor is such that one is able to enjoy quiet and private time.

Finally, kudos for the great breakfasts. Each morning we got a hot breakfast cooked to order in addition to continental offerings. There was good variety, and it was all tasty. Given the weak US dollar, it was also nice to be able to eat in rather than spend $12 (yup) for muesli at one of the restaurants on the main drag.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed May 4, 2012

We stayed here the night before we took an overnight boat trip on Doubtful Sound (which is amazing, by the way). The facility has older but very nicer rooms with en suite facilities. There is a beautiful enclosed porch with an impressive cactus collection (we are from Arizona and even we were impressed). It was a great place to read and relax.
The breakfast was terrific. Laundry facilities were nice to find. The hosts kept our larger bags while we were on the boat.
Wish we could have stayed longer.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Bishopsteignton
Reviewed April 7, 2012

An excellent B&B with a good welcome from Ray, a comfortable room with good en suite. Ray gave us good detailed information about Milford Sound and the surrounding area. Margaret cooked us an excellent breakfast and also gave us tips of places to visit and "must do's".

Close to town - ten minutes walk. Just a few minutes walk to Te Anau lakeside.

Highly recommended.