“Hospitality and Comfort Unsurpassed”
Review of Alpenhorn Motel

Alpenhorn Motel
Ranked #18 of 22 Hotels in Te Anau
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed at the Alpenhorn 2 nights before our hike of Kepler Track. We liked our accommodations so much that after 3 nights staying in huts on Kepler, we really looked forward to getting back to our lovely hosts, Tony, Denise and Melissa. Here's why: Rooms are spacious with porches and sitting areas overlooking a lovely garden. Perks include free internet, laundry facility, expert local knowledge, delightful walk past a rose garden/park to get to town and last but not least Katie, the resident dog, greeted us each time we arrived.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Helpful hosts, spacious room, nicely appointed kitchenette, clean, utilitarian. In walking to town and attractions, free wifi and good tv. Off-street parking right in front of your door. Everything about this motel is perfectly fine - just nothing to really set it apart.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2014

My wife and I stayed at Alpenhorn after receiving a big discount at Agoda for the deluxe family suite, #7. Truthfully, my wife and I didn't need such an enormous accommodation since it was just the two of us, but it's better than being cramped! The full kitchen was nice to have as we did use it for one meal, and the bedroom was quiet, comfy, and cozy. I had one of my best nights of sleep in that room on our trip, which was sorely needed after one or two poor nights of sleep just prior to Te Anau in other accommodations on our NZ roadtrip. The unit is set back from what is already a quiet street, and the place has a homey feeling with kind hosts, Melissa and her father, Tony. This is not luxury in feel, though, if that's what you seek. Some chairs and other furniture are a bit worn out, but the place is very clean and there is pride evident in those who run the property. I also appreciated the speedy and FREE unlimited wifi, which had no data caps to worry about. All in all, Alpenhorn was the best choice we could have made in Te Anau for two nights surrounding our Milford Sound journey. Whether deluxe family suite or not, I think this place is easy to like.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Tripadvisor lead me astray. We arrived to check in, and the hostess immediately said "you have a child, that's another $15". When I said that the child (aged under 3) had her own self-contained tent/bed and that we hadn't been charged by 5 previous hotel/motels on our drving trip around NZ, she told me I was wrong and that everyone charged extra. I don't mind being told that this hotel had a special rate or policy--but I object to being told that I'm lying. I voluntarily paid the extra amount the next morning--and was told again that I was wrong.

Oh and the room was outdated, the bathroom floor flooded into the main room (it was a disabled shower with a faulty floor that didnt drain), a bright light outside was an all night and couldn't be turned off, and the notices even said "tidy the kitchen or we'll charge you a fee". And there was no daily change of sheets.

This wasn't a give away hostel--it was $140 a night (not counting the "child fee") so I don't see a reason for this poor attitude & I would suggest staying elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
simbaTeAnau, Owner at Alpenhorn Motel, responded to this reviewResponded March 31, 2014

The person who wrote this review did not stay at our Motel, his prices are certainlly not what we charge, I run the Motel and I am a male and am not the hostess, we do not have a disabled bathroom, shower, so do not understand where this person is talking about, and we dot not have a sign in our units that says what he said. Our sign says all units are serviced each day, fresh towels if required please place used in shower tray, if bed is to be made, please let reception
know.
If this person has problems when staying away, it would be nice if he could let his concerns
be known before leaving.
Why can people not put their names to their reviews.

Tony Austin (owner)

Reviewed February 25, 2014

We stayed for one night on the way to Milford, found the motel very adequate with everything we needed provided. The owner gave us lots of advice about where to go and was very friendly. We would happily stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Can be anxious when arriving at budget accomodation but this was a very pleasant surprise. Basic looking motel but very clean and comfortable and you felt that the owners were making that extra effort. Would recommend.

Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 11, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here on my way to Milford Sound. The cleanliness was amazing. From the outside it looks like it was built a while ago and it's not like everything is brand new, but it is so well maintained. My bed was comfortable, the location was good. The owners are helpful and really nice people. I would stay here again and recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2014