“Fiordland Base Camp”

Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park
Ranked #4 of 23 Hotels in Te Anau
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Just intended to stay for one night in transit but found myself repeatedly checking in and pitching my tent ... now I'm an erection expert! Having stayed in many camp grounds around the South Island, the Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park has proved to be a real oasis for this weary traveller. The facilities (kitchen, bathroom, laundry) are modern, immaculate and a pleasure to use and the pegs just slipped effortlessly into the lush green grass - in total contrast to every other campsite I visited where the peg mallet was employed with great vigour to bust through layers of stone. Makes an ideal base camp from which to embark on the many high quality multi-day walks in the area, then come back, rest up the bones and get the laundry done while catching up on the email. Awesome.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park

Reviewed March 21, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here, for 3 separate periods while hiking the Kepler / Milford / Routeburn Great Walks. It's perfectly placed for this, being opposite the DOC Visitor Centre. I booked a dorm in Steamers Beach which is comfy, rooms have basin, bathrooms along the hall. Excellent kitchen facilities with large dining area & TV lounge, also handy laundry machines, and coin operated internet computer next to kitchen, perfect!
Spacious and attractive grounds, and only a 10 minute gorgeous walk along the lake to town. The 3rd period I'd booked - I was upgraded to the West Arm Lodge in a single room as a school group had booked into Steamers Beach, excellent service! This lodge also has excellent / large kitchen dining & lounge areas, and handy laundry.
They also have an excellent locker room storage facility for the gear you are not bringing on the Great Walks.
The staff are friendly and very helpful with local info - they kindly kept mail aside for me which arrived while I was on one of the hikes. Excellent service.
They also have a range of other types of rooms. Highly recommended place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed two nights in the two bedroom apartment with a view in February 2012. The front of the holiday park is very nice with lovely flowers and a view of the lake that is stunning. It is a 10 minute walk along the lake to town. Lovely location.
The back of the park is not landscaped and is barren in comparison. The apartment was very old with small rooms and an ill equipped kitchen. The hot plate had only one burner that worked and was dangerous to use as the cord was badly frayed. The "large" bedroom had room only for a double bed and a very small bedside table on one side only. When I kicked the covers off in the middle of the night, I slammed my foot in to the wall. The second bedroom had bunk beds and that was where we put our luggage as there was not room in the sitting area or the main bedroom. The bathroom was very small also. The apartment building was more like a motel with faded stained plywood on the outside. The view was of the gravel parking lot and scruffy (for New Zealand) hills beyond.
The $125 per night that was charged was far too much to pay for this and the internet advertising was deceptive. It was the worst place we stayed in 5 weeks in New Zealand.

Room Tip: If you want to stay at this park choose the new units which overlook the Lake.
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
lyon82, Owner at Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2012

Thankyou for your feedback.
I am disappointed that your stay with us was not to your satisfaction. We would have been pleased to have discussed these problems with you at the time of your stay.
The information on Booking.com ( where you booked ) clearly shows the balcony of these rooms and states that the room has Park Views and indicates bed size.(s) : 1 Double , 2 Bunk bed.
Unfortunately we have no authority to manage, mow or landscape areas beyond our boundary. This area of "scruffy hills" is owned by the Department of Conservation. We have planted adjacent to these units ( on our property ) a Native Garden to attract Native birds to the area.

Reviewed March 14, 2012

Great wee holiday camp, friendly staff (thanks Kaz!)and in a beautiful location. loads of room and great facilities. Great for a head start to get to Milford Sound and the best holiday camp we stayed in during our holiday.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 12, 2012

My family & I stayed here for 1 night. My parents & my aunt+uncle stayed at the Luxmore Cabin (fits 4 people) while I stayed at Steamers Backpackers located within the holiday park (5 minutes walk). The Steamers Backpackers was cosy & kitchen well equipped. Occupancy seem low. The Luxmore Cabin kitchen facility was clean & basic. A $10 rental fee applied for using the kitchen utensils that was locked in the cabinet (I'm sure of the fees but am assuming the pots/pans/utensils are in there). This was rather disappointing.Cleanliness: Very good, the toilets at the Luxmore Cabin are 5 Star. The toilets in the Steamers was clean & basic. Suggestion: Kitchen utensils should be provided in the Luxmore cabins just as in Steamers backpackers. Recommendation: I recommend staying in the Steamers Backpackers as there kitchen utensils provided for cooking. It might be quite a hassle to cook in the Luxmore Cabins.

Room Tip: Stay in Steamers Backpackers if you plan to stay long & wish to cook with minimum hassle.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
lyon82, Owner at Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2012

Thank you for your review.
The Kitchen Cupboards in the Luxmore Block contain crockery / cutlery and pots for 4 people. This service is available to customers who are not equipped with their own cooking gear as they travel . We are pleased you enjoyed your stay and appreciate your feedback

Reviewed March 12, 2012

Busy when I arrived but a warm welcome nonetheless.

My powered site had one of the best views that I had on my trip around south island; I awoke in the morning to a wonderful rainbow over the lake.

Facilities are really very good. There were perfectly adequate cooking and bathroom facilities near to my pitch but the staff pointed out the new ones which were really first class. Unlike other sites that I stayed in, none of them were ever very busy, so a pleasure to use.

It's about a 15-20 minute walk to the town, but a very pleasant one.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo

Thank you for your review. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed March 11, 2012

Two of us stayed in a two bedroom Marakura family room and it was stunning. Its an apartment rather than 'family room' with two large bedrooms, one with a balcony overlooking the lake. There is an open plan living/dining kitchen area that would be easily big enough to accommodate four people; the balcony also runs along the front of the living room. The bathroom is nice and modern with a big walk-in shower. The beds are extremely comfortable. We stayed in some fabulous apartments during our tour of New Zealand but this was the best and my favourite - uninterrupted views of the lake, quiet location on the edge of Te Anau, free wi-fi access, great facilities in the apartment. At $250nzd a night some might think this is pricey but for the levels of comfort you get I thought it was very good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with friends
lyon82, Owner at Te Anau Lakeview Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2012

Thank you for your feed back. We are very pleased that you enjoyed our property and hope you had a great time in our part of the country which is beautiful at any time of the year