“Surpasses all expectations! Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bella Vista Motel

Bella Vista Motel
Ranked #6 of 23 Hotels in Te Anau
GreenLeadersGold level
Gold Coast
“Surpasses all expectations! Wow!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

What a delight to meet Selby & Janelle! As if Te Anau & Fiordland couldn't get any better - wait until you meet these two! Nothing is too much trouble! Selby worked miracles to get my friend & I on a Doubtful Sound cruise (very booked up due to impassable Milford Rd conditions), and was a fantastic source of local information. Janelle's welcome muffins are a real treat too! Our room was spotlessly clean & very comfortable. The powerful shower is also a treat after a long drive. All attractions & restaurants etc were in very easy (and extremely pleasant, given the scenery!) walking distance.I cannot recommend this motel highly enough. Te Anau & Fiordland are an absolute 'must-see', but Janelle & Selby at Bella Vista Te Anau made our stay very memorable & one of the highlights of our trip. I'm only sorry we stayed just one night. It was fantastic value, and far surpassed any other accommodation we stayed in during our trip (including the much overrated peppers). I will be back asap! And I'll be sending all my family & friends. Thanks so much Selby & Janelle!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It was a true pleasure to host such appreciative guests. Your comments on your stay are most important to the team here at Bella Vista, as we continually strive to meet our guests expectations and ensure they leave with many fond memories. I was so glad to be able to secure a booking for you to see one of our famous fiords, which would have been such a dissappointment if you couldn't have experienced the true spectical of what nature has provided here in Fiordland.
We look forward to your return trip and also meeting some of your family and friends.
Safe travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (71)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
West Coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

After driving nine hours to go on a cruise on Doubtful Sound we wanted to make sure we were comfortable the night before so we chose the Bella Vista Motel after reading reviews. We were not disappointed at all. Janelle and Selby were very friendly and welcoming. They love Te Anau and Fiordland and gave us recommendations for dinner and breakfast. We were given two delicious muffins on arrival which were still excellent the next day when we ate them.
Our room was quiet, the bed comfortable, the big shower even had a grab rail to make it easy to get in and out. The motel is right next to a large park with song birds which has a path to the town centre.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, September 7, 2013
Dear clarebs,
It was great to meet you both and I am sure you enjoyed your cruise on Doubtful Sound. We certainly enjoy living in Te Anau and are very passionate about our region and love sharing it with others who appreciate it, as much as we do. Every morning we marvel at the bird song from the park in which we look out on and to have so many native birds about, is a real pleasure.
Thank-you for your review, our guests comments are very important to us and the team as we are continually reviewing and improving our service to meet our guests expectations.
Los Angeles, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2013

I stayed here for 5 nights in August 2013. I wanted a quieter holiday than what Queenstown could offer and that's exactly what I got. Very hospitable service. The welcome muffin was fabulous as per the other reviews :) Janelle and Selby are great and ever so accommodating. Anything I needed - recommendations, an adapter, information, etc. they provided no questions asked. It was nice of them to check in with me to see what activities I had planned for the day so they could turn the heater on before I returned and also as a solo female traveler it was nice to have someone know my whereabouts.

The room was comfortable and they even gave me a free upgrade considering I was staying for a while. Everything is a short walk down the road or across the park- the lake, the main street, grocery store, etc. Te Anau in general is an amazing place with the most humble residents. I will definitely be coming back here- hopefully sooner than later! Thanks for everything.

Room Tip: The website is a great tool and very descriptive.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank jenthebeat
Dear jenthebeat,
Thank-you for your review on your recent stay with us. As always it is indeed our pleasure to make sure your stay with us and our region meets with your expectations. As Kiwi hosts we are ever so mindful that many of our guests are travelling to NZ for their first time and we want to make sure your experience is one that you will remember for always, even if it is just the small things. Your acknowledgement of our efforts are appreciated by ourslves and the rest of the team at Bella Vista Te Anau.
Safe travels and a speedy return.
Feilding, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2013

Thank you Janelle and Selby for a great five night stay with all the comforts of home. Truly fantastic old school Kiwi charm and hospitality. Nice touch to have the room preheated after long days out and about. Regards Aaron.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Aaron M
Thank-you for your comments, we appreciate them. It was great to meet you and host you while you were staying in Te Anau. We look forward to perhaps another visit.
Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan, Malaysia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Bella Vista in Te Anau is a great place to stay. The hosts are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean, quiet and comfortable with all the usual NZ motel amenities, and it's convenient to Te Anau's lovely lake and shopping/restaurant area. You can get food and supplies within a five-minute walk, and the lakeshore is about two minutes away on foot. RealJourneys shuttles will pick you up the motel lot on request.

My wife and I stayed in one of the studio units. We found it a bit cramped, but that's to be expected with a studio. If you like having lots of room to stretch, go with one of the bigger rooms.

Oh, and one more thing- they have some of the best muffins I've ever eaten. I'm not joking here- I have eaten literally thousands of muffins in my life. I love the things. The muffins we got when we checked in were truly top-notch- moist and delicious with just the right amount of chocolate chip. Seriously, if you like sweet baked goods, the muffins alone are sufficient reason to choose the Bella Vista over its competitors.

I have one complaint- only one- about the Bella Vista. It lacks a lake view. That's it, that's the only problem. If you're willing to walk for two minutes or so, you'll be right at the the lake- but you can't see it from your room, and that's a bit of a shame. It's a small complaint, but there it is.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Brent D
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Dear Brent D,
Thank-you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we certainly appreciate your comments. Janelles muffins are certainly becoming world famous.
We would love to be able to offer our guests a lake view, but fortunately we have a beauitful park as our view with amazing native bird song each day. We are however in a very quiet street very close to the town centre.
We hope you enjoyed the rest of your holiday and hope you will return another day.
King regards
Selby and Janelle
Gero
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here for two nights while visiting Doubtful Sound and were not disappointed. Janelle and Selby made us welcome and were very helpful in recommendations for various restaurants and attractions.
The motel is situated close to all amenities that Te Anau offers in the town whilst remaining quiet for your stay.
Must mention the banana and choc muffin on arrival, it was welcomed after skiing all day the the drive down to Te Anau. As was the room preheated, as we didn't arrive until late.
Many thanks again for our stay and I can certainly recommend Bella Vista to anyone trvelling to Te Anau.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi yibbayibbada,
It was great to meet you and have the opportunity to share with you some of the great parts around Te Anau. Doubtful Sound is one of our many favourites and it is always good to hear other peoples comments about our beautiful fiords. We hope you will return another time and enjoy some of the other things to do and see while staying in Te Anau.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013 via mobile

Well I never write reviews however I have on this occasion. The managers of BELLA VISTA At Te Anau (Janelle and Selby Askin) were so friendly and helpful ... Janelke booked my Glow Worm Cave Tour and the tour with Go Milford to Milford sounds ... Clean rooms and a special touch when I found my heater had been turned on for my late return both evenings ... Check out Te Anau as there are nice places to eat and enough to keep you busy :)) will be back

• Stayed August 2013
selbya, Manager at Bella Vista Motel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Cumnock2867,
Thank-you for making a special effort to review your recent stay with us. We are truly appreciative of all the reviews we receive from our guests. Janelle and I enjoy meeting new and old guests and part of that is making sure their stay with us is a happy one. During the winter and colder temperatures, we always make sure the heaters are on for our guests to return to a nice warm room, your acknowledgement of the little things like that makes it all worth while. Thank-you.
Best wishes and safe travels