“OK, but Waitomo was better”

Te Anau Glowworm Caves
Te Anau Glow Worm Caves Tour
Ranked #6 of 43 things to do in Te Anau
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Visit the Te Anau Glowworm Caves - an underground network of limestone caves lit by hundreds of glowworms. In the darkness they produce a glittering display. Carved out by the force of the river, the underground world is surprisingly beautiful with whirlpools and roaring waterfalls. Begin with a scenic cruise across Lake Te Anau and then our nature guides will take you in groups through the caves and then in a small boat into the grotto. Departs Te Anau.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Sydney, Australia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“OK, but Waitomo was better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

I expected more. It's not bad but would say only OK
Not sure if they improve at certain times of the year but in May it was not what I thought it'd be.
Glad to have done it still.

Visited May 2013

39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Underwhelming”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We weren't given enough time to acclimatise to the darkness such that I bashed my head on the (unseen) roof twice. We were rushed through the quite interesting caves and onto a boat where we weren't told what to look for nor when such that we were back at the start before I’d even realised I should be looking for glow-worms.
I was distinctly underwhelmed by the whole experience.

Visited February 2013
Mill Valley, California
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“What a Surprise”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 9, 2013

We learned so much about these creatures while we were touring New Zealand, but this place was indeed the best. The experience of going into the cave on foot and then in the boats was such fun. The guides were very good, informative, and fun. Highly recommended tour.

Visited March 2013
Hong Kong, China
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“so so regret to join this tour”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I got my 1.5 years old boy,my mother and husband with me to join this tour. Before going to NZ, I asked the staff what we should do to the little one because infant is not allowed to go. The staff suggested that we take turn to take care the little one in visitor centre, so that he won't be scared by the noise in the cave. And even said that stroller is welcomed. It sounds good, so I booked the tour.

BUT, when we arrive with the stroller...... there were many steps in the pier and in the visitor centre....... so we are the last in the group.

When we arrive, the first group was already entering the cave. My mother rushed to join the first group because we had to take turn to take care the baby. The briefing was over already and when she wanted to chase up the group, she was stopped by the photographer for taking picture........ After taking the photo, the flash light off, all people gone! When she turned back to enter the cave, she hit on the rock because it was too dark suddenly. She got a 5cm x 5cm haematoma on forehead and abrasion wound on eyebrow to continue her journey in the cave....

At the same time, 3 of us entered the visitor centre to join the rest. Aftert 5 mins briefing, the guide asked us to go to enter the cave. We are shocked because my mum was not back to visitor centre and no one take care the little one. We asked to be the last group to enter the cave.The guide said we are the last because there was only 2 groups! We cannot stay behind in the visitor centre to wait because there was no staff in the visitor centre. And she said we can hand over the little one to my mum in the cave before we have the boat ride. We have no choice!

When I meet my mum in the cave, she told me she was hurt and so I asked her to wait for us in the little pier with my little one in the cave. BUT, the guide said the lights in the little pier would turn off, so she MUST chase the first group with my little one to leave AND we must get on the boat ride..........

I was so so so upset. The guide asked my mum, an old lady nearly 65, with head injury to chase the first group to leave the cave with my little one........

When we meet again in the visitor centre, no one noticed my mum's head injury and the photographer just asking her to buy the NICE picture.........

I asked for a simple wound dressing for my mum and the staff said it this COMMON to get head injury..............

What a REAL HORRIBLE JOURNEY!!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Karen L
Real_Journeys, Public Relations Manager at Te Anau Glowworm Caves, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Hi Karen

Thank you for your feedback you raise some concerning points that we would like to look into further with you.

The caves are not suitable for infants and we generally do not suggest that they go along. We will be reminding our staff as to this point. In addition we'd like to express our regret that your mother hurt her head and it was not assisted as you would have liked, we are a very safety conscious business and despite operating in natural environments do our upmost to avoid such occurrences.

As above we will also contact you directly to follow-up on all aspects of your feedback.

Kind regards
Real Journeys.
Falmouth, Maine
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Like looking into a dark starfilled night”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 5, 2013

Great boat ride over to the glowworm caves. Caves interesting but the glowworms steal the show. Staff knowledgeable, friendly, and helpful.

Visited April 2013