“Stunning views, with comfort and service to match”
Review of Fiordland Lodge

Fiordland Lodge
Reviewed May 7, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our long weekend here, and were expecting a nice property with amenities (courtesy of other great TA reviews). All of that was true, but it was the service that truly sets this property apart from others. From the time we were greeted at check-in by Andy, every employee surprised and delighted us. Monique's knowledge of local wines was fantastic, and Pauline's breakfast service was freindly and spot on. I would highly recommend the lodge to anyone looking to experience this beautiful area.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Fiordland Lodge

Reviewed April 23, 2012

Had a fantastic stay with my wife & 2 sons staying in the log cabin, staff were excellent and couldn’t have been more helpful, food was outstanding. Would have loved to have stayed for longer. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 23, 2012

The hotel itself is fabulous, be it very expensive. £600 per room per night, includes breakfast and dinner.

Usually people stay only one night at the hotel, but my sisters and I spend five nights in February this year.

A glass of wine or whatever was complimentary before dinner in the lounge. One evening they asked if we would like another glass of wine. We said we would love one. On checking out we were charged for that extra glass of wine. Considering the amount of money we were spending for our stay, I think they should have given the glass of wine to us on a complimentary basis.

The hotel is lovely, but at these prices I do not think we will every stay again.

Room Tip: Do not choose the cabins which are apart from the hotel. Dreadful value for money. No wardrobes, a...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 16, 2012

It was a privilege for my husband and I to enjoy 2 nights at this magnificent property that offers a superlative level of decadent luxury and charm. The communal lounge areas are expansive and offer a host of beautifully furnished areas overlooking beautifully manicured lawns and the lake. The views from the double level windows of the lounge area are magnificent. The staff are gracious and charming, and Andy (the host) is completely accommodating and helpful.

Unfortunately, we did experience some negatives during our stay there, and I really hate to provide negative feedback, but I hope the hosts will see it as constructive in the way it is meant to be.

The toilet paper was ridiculously cheap and nasty; salt and pepper shakers were the cheap little "hour-glass-shaped" ones that you can buy for a couple of bucks anywhere; and there was no hot water for a shower on the morning we were to leave to travel a long distance. I realise that having no hot water is a maintenance issue, but it really clouded the experience.

The toiletries were top class, but I'd like the option of a cube of soap - as would many others.

The walls were thin, and my husband and I were treated to a vicarious orgasmic treat from the guests next door, who banged the wall all night. Lovely for them, but a little disturbing for us as we were trying to sleep. Again, not the lodge's fault.

The food and wine selection was amazingly good. Numerous selections for each course made even the most refined gourmand happy.

The room balcony is shared and there are no seats available to sit on the balcony and enjoy the wondrous view unless you move them from inside your room.

One final point: it's quite pompous and dignified. You can hear a pin drop in the dining room although I think we broke the boundaries on that. If you go there, wear soft-healed shoes so you don't disturb the ambiance that is Fiordland Lodge. We laughed so much during our stay that I'm embarrassed we disgraced ourselves. However, we coincidentally ran into another party of 6 at Queenstown who had also stayed there at the same time, and they agreed that it is a little too stuffy.

As I said...... almost perfect.

Room Tip: The rooms are lovely, but the true magic is in the communal areas.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank victoria_454
Reviewed April 9, 2012

We loved our stay at Fiordland Lodge. The views are spectacular, the rooms are world class, the food was excellent, and the staff is both gracious and knowledgeable. We stayed for 3 nights but would have stayed for much longer if our schedule permitted. The lodge is very close to Milford, Dusky, and Doubtful Sounds. It's easy to book boat rides and helicopter tours. There's no light pollution so the night skies are marvelous to see. Fiordland Lodge is world class.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are similar and all have spectacular views
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jeffrey K
Reviewed April 5, 2012

A spectacularly beautiful setting. A lovely, helpful, friendly staff. Very good food. VERY pricey ($400 PP). Oddly the log cabins are way cheaper than the rooms but also way nicer; rooms are generic if perfectly comfortable. But if money is no object, I'd go here anyway.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank DANI24
Reviewed April 4, 2012

If you are visiting Fiordland this fabulous retreat is a real experience not just a place to rest your head. My sister and I stayed here for her 40th birthday after having walked the Milford track and was thoroughly impressed from the time we walked in the door. We are kiwis so it takes a lot to impress us in terms of views etc but the setting at this place is outstanding, absolulety stunning. We found Andy and his team to be friendly helpful but not overbearing - in my books they get all the ticks for customer service. We were upgraded to a fabulous suite and every little detail has been thought of - the gas fire going, the back ground music, the welcome fruit - the list goes on. In terms of the food here again we could not fault - very impressive. I have been spoilt with some fabulous restaurants in our hometown of Wellington but was suitably impressed with what Fiordland Lodge had to offer - everything was spot on and it was great to see the lodge had an impressive veggie garden right beside the lodge. It has to be said that as a New Zealander I feel very proud that we have a lodge of this calibre to offer to our overseas visitors at a reasonable price that provides a such special experience. Great value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
fiordlandlodge, Manager at Fiordland Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2012

Dear Guests “Relaxing Kiwis”
Wow! Thank you so much for your great review of Fiordland Lodge. We're delighted you had such a great stay.
We appreciate all the feedback from our guests, and we like to drop a line of thanks to all guests that have posted their reviews as we certainly appreciate it. We are very happy to hear guests are enjoying their time at the lodge, “it’s a unique lodge in a very special location” so thank you for all your compliments regarding all aspects of excellence in service, food and facilities.
During the winter months we will be undertaking some soft refurbishing of some of our lodge accommodation and hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to the Fiordland area again in the near future.

Best wishes from all of us at Fiordland Lodge.
Andy and Team