“Best value for money anywhere”

Anchorage Motel Apartments
Ranked #14 of 23 Hotels in Te Anau
Sydney, Australia
“Best value for money anywhere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2012

For about AU$125 a night we weren't expecting much so were delighted with this accommodation. I was expecting one of those 70s stlye rooms with an old TV bolted onto the ceiling but that wasn't the case. I shuddred what the 'spa bath' would be like. But overall we were pleasantly surprised. The room was fairly modern (plasma TV, nice kitchenette etc), the spa bath was fantastic. There was Sky (about 40 channels), free wi-fi and real milk! None of that UHT stuff. It's also one street back from the lake, so about a two minute walk and about a five minute stroll from the main street.

Room Tip: There are only 13 rooms, all ground level so I imagine they're all much of a muchness.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2012

I stayed in a standard studio for 1 night. I did not want to spend much money as I needed accommodation just for 1 night on my way to Milford Sound, and travelling solo the studio seemed like a good option. I got what I paid for so I am not complaining. However, when I see the travellers' pictures of other rooms, there seems to be quite a difference in standard - I am not talking about size here. The furniture in my studio was quite tired, the kitchenette was not very clean and the vinyl floor was sticky. The shower had just a curtain with stains all over it.
My studio was the very first on the right hand side, across the reception. If you want to stay in this motel, I would avoid that room and pay up for 1-bedroom apartment.
The motel is situated some 10 minutes walk from the main street which I think was quite far considering the size of Te Anau. The lady in the reception was not very welcoming, she did answer the few questions I had but it was quite clear that she wanted to go back to whatever she was doing before.
I can't say I would not recommend this motel at all - but I would definitely take one of the larger rooms as the standard studio seems to be a bit neglected to me.

Room Tip: I would avoid standard studios (at least the one at the very beginning of the terrace, across the la...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank nomad2212
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2011

excellent and welcoming motel of a high standard.
Well located near the centr and the shoreline.
Sky T.V.+ free DVD loan.
5Ft bed and good accomadation/ cooking arrangements.Well worth staying.
Travel to Milford Sound and the 'Glow worm' caves from here.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RJ49BridgnorthUK
Brisbane, Qld
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2011

We stayed at the Anchorage Motel for 2 nights in a spa unit and found it to be one of the better motels we stayed at in NZ. The room was quite big, comfortable and was equipped with a kitchenette and had a spa. We paid extra to get the spa in the room but it was still excellent value at under A$100 per night. Also there are guest laundry facilities just metres from the motel rooms available for a minimal cost so it is a good place to do some washing if you are on a road trip. The only problem was that on the first night we were there they ran out of hot water when we were halfway through filling the spa so the spa wasn't really hot at all - on the second night this was better though so you are probably best to have a spa quite early if possible.

A good quiet place to stay and we found it an ideal base for visiting Milford Sound.

Room Tip: Spa rooms are good for hikers - helps with the sore legs after a long walk.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Bangkok, Thailand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2011

This is what you can expect a motel to be, parking in front of room, small courtyard. We checked in about 8pm and were given 2 bottles of milk.
Our room was a studio (NZ$115, Room no.9) in the far corner from the reception. The door and windows were soundproof with thick glass. Inside the room there's one queen bed, kitchen, bathroom. The motel offers full kitchen so that was nice but one of the kitchen light kept turning on and off by itself.
All bathroom amenities were there along with towel warmer, heater. However, the handle on the tap of the sink came loose so we had to always put it back on.
Free parking and wifi.
Overall it's a standard comfortable motel which could do with some maintenance

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Melaka, Malaysia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

A very comfortable motel, pleasant stay. Recommended for everyone!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2011

We loved this accomodation. It was cheap and simple but decent. As we were two couples travelling together we stayed in the nearby house, so we had our own loungeroom and kitchen. The furniture was quite old, but it didn't bother us and was really comfortable.

The best part was when I noticed a sign saying 'free bike hire' and when we enquired I was delighted to choose from several Electra Cruisers which was a GREAT way to ride to town, or even better along the lake.

They might not advertise the free wifi, but it exists - you just have to ask for it.

Room Tip: If you've got a few people, definitely choose the house! It works out to be cheaper if there'...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends